Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
RFG1022

Golf tees

Note: This thread is 920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

57 posts / 6534 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I like the plastic ones because I can keep a single tee in my pocket for the whole round.  I don't think any type of tee makes the ball go further.  That's just marketing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

1 hour ago, imsys0042 said:

I like the plastic ones because I can keep a single tee in my pocket for the whole round.  I don't think any type of tee makes the ball go further.  That's just marketing.

And by marketing, I usually think that means a complete fabrication, and I'd agree with most marketing of tees.  

I use the plain wood tees that our club provides, I pick up two or three in the pro shop most times I play, and then I pick up a few more that were left behind on the course.  I did find that in Scotland and Ireland, with the very firm ground, that I broke the longer tees almost every time I used one, shorter tees that just barely penetrated the surface worked much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use the cheap wooden tees for my driver 3-1/4" that I get on sale at K-Mart which is near my work. Works great.

The more lessons I take the more I realize this game is inundated with marketing gimmicks. I'm pretty sure my instructor could whip my buns using $20 clubs and no tee at all. 

My first year in desperation I bought a lot of little trinkets and crap. Pretty much none of it made me better. It's like buying an ab roller from a paid TV advertisement while continuing to eat Big Macs and Queso Sauce then expecting to magically develop a six pack.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 7/19/2016 at 9:59 AM, David in FL said:

Y'all waaaaay over-think the least important piece of equipment in the entire game!

 

But, I won't use a white tee....  :8)

I don't think so. The driver is the one club in your bag that's not supposed to go a specific yardage. It's supposed to go as far as you can crush it. So don't you think that taking out a variable in your setup is worth a couple of pennies?

I use Pride prolength 2 3/4" yellow & white. Same height every time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dmnoland said:

I don't think so. The driver is the one club in your bag that's not supposed to go a specific yardage. It's supposed to go as far as you can crush it. So don't you think that taking out a variable in your setup is worth a couple of pennies?

I use Pride prolength 2 3/4" yellow & white. Same height every time.

 

a)  I use tees with clubs other than the driver.

b)  There are many times when I want to vary the height of the tee, even with the same club.

c)  I don't need a mark on the tee to tell me how high the ball is.  Every time.

But all that may just be me...  ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, David in FL said:

a)  I use tees with clubs other than the driver.

b)  There are many times when I want to vary the height of the tee, even with the same club.

c)  I don't need a mark on the tee to tell me how high the ball is.  Every time.

But all that may just be me...  ;-)

A, yes but for me that is a constant finger width height off the tee box.

B. yes especially hitting the high draw but that underscores the need of the painted heights on the tees;)

C. I do!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like natural or white wooden tees. I like to pick up or save broken ones for iron shots--I absolutely hate using a new tee for an iron shot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, knucklebuster said:

Found this elaborate tee the other day,it has a soft rubber coating.I better hand it in to the clubhouse,I bet someone is missing it terribly.

WP_20170129_21_09_50_Pro (3).jpg

never saw one, but gives me idea. The TV ad regarding the rubber like coating, you can brush, dip, roll on. dip your tees in might not be bad idea. otoh, might not do anything to help from breaking  tee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I doubt you would ever break this tee,it is super solid.The problem with it would be I'd expect it to follow the ball a nice distance down the fairway (found the one in the picture hanging from a branch about 30 yards away from tee box).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree on the plastic tees, for my driver. I use the Zero Friction.  The problem with these, where I mostly golf here in the NYC area, is many of the tee boxes are as hard as concrete. Can not get these tees into the ground without bending them. Then I have to go with the wooden ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone ever seen golf tees made from compressed talcum powder/flour/baking soda, with a little binder?

Think billiard chalk in tee shape.

Could be a blast.

I only charge a 5% royalty for the idea.

Edited by wannabe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, wannabe said:

Has anyone ever seen golf tees made from compressed talcum powder/flour/baking soda, with a little binder?

Think billiard chalk in tee shape.

Could be a blast.

I only charge a 5% royalty for the idea.

well, back in the day.......and before my day even.......golfers used to simply pinch up a little mound of earth. In fact, there were usually little mounds of the stuff laying around just for that purpose., 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, wannabe said:

Has anyone ever seen golf tees made from compressed talcum powder/flour/baking soda, with a little binder?

Think billiard chalk in tee shape.

Could be a blast.

I only charge a 5% royalty for the idea.

that would be the perfect companion item for the old exploding golf ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Back in December I found one of the plastic ones with the crown on top (I think they are called "Pride Professional"). I hit the last four fairways with it, 18, 17, 15, 14. I don't know if this is because I was nice and limbered up near the end of my round, or if it was some kind of placebo effect from the tee, or if they really are better...  Anyway, I just read online these things are supposed to reduce friction and backspin. Is it just a gimmick? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

51 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Back in December I found one of the plastic ones with the crown on top (I think they are called "Pride Professional"). I hit the last four fairways with it, 18, 17, 15, 14. I don't know if this is because I was nice and limbered up near the end of my round, or if it was some kind of placebo effect from the tee, or if they really are better...  Anyway, I just read online these things are supposed to reduce friction and backspin. Is it just a gimmick? 

 

probably. I like the Evolution ProLength. They tend to bend rather than break. Whatever friction reduction is probably negligible, but the visuals and optics could certainly help boost confidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 920 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...