IGNORED

Just walked a round @ >100F heat index

jkelley9
Note: This thread is 2789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wanted to create this thread in an effort to figure out 2 things:

1.) What would be considered "beyond reasonable" playing conditions for a healthy, young adult, or anyone for that matter to WALK (or push, really) 18 holes of golf?

2.) Walking in conditions such as these, how do you believe they would impact your score? 

My wife is angry with me that I walked 18 holes of golf when it was 97°F today and the sun beating down (no clouds). Humidity was > 60%. I played from 11:45am-4:00pm. About the hottest part of the day. 

I walked by myself. The course was very light because... well... it was effing HOT :) I got back to the clubhouse (my home course) and even the manager acted like I was crazy for walking 18 today.

I drank, literally, >128 oz of water+gatorade (I call it water-ade). 32 oz filled up and sucked down to empty 2 times per nine holes, and a little more on the back nine.

I applied sunscreen before I left, all over (exposed parts), hit the range and putting green for about 45 minutes, and reapplied sunscreen. Reapplied sunscreen again before starting the back nine. So 3x total.

My wife brought up a good point, had I not been diligent with fluids and sunscreen and whatnot and had a heat stroke or dehydration episode... dunno how long it would take for someone to find me. Although there were plenty of grounds crew out so I would think I'd be found in < 5 minutes had I passed out.

I shot a pretty darn good score, 86. Kept my focus up the entire round. If you walked a round like this, do you believe it would have impacted your scoring ability more over than the standard walking vs carting scoring debate? 

How hot is too hot to play a round by yourself. Is there an "unsafe" threshold for even a healthy adult?

FYI I weighed myself this morning. When I got back (after drinking >128oz water and not tinkling all day) I weighed 2 lbs less, so I guess I sweated a little over 10 lbs in water alone lol.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I draw the line at heat indexes above 95 b/c my wife will kill me if the heat doesn't.  I get too uncomfortable as well in the sweaty clothes. 

Did you carry or push a cart?  

There's a crew that walks no matter what but they're all pushing clicgears with umbrellas going so they're always in the shade except for their shot.   

Walking alone might have been pushing it a bit.  I'd play in that heat (plan to tomorrow) but I'll be riding and have buddies there in case one of us starts to tank.  You were smart to stay hydrated.  

For future reference keep in mind that heat stroke / exhaustion comes on rather quickly and if you're not treated really fast you could end up with brain damage or die.  I suffered from it a few times during Hell Weeks for football, unless you're near the club house you're not going to make it back before you collapse.  Without fluids, cold compresses and possibly IV you're not going to cool your body down.   

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Give that man an icy cold beer, stat!

I'm relatively young, and I'd take the cart for the breeze between shots and holes as well as the portable shade. What's the point in suffering unless you are practicing for competition in similar conditions?

For anyone, I think the physical metabolic toll of moving all that water through to stay cool would tend to lower scores. But you do get longer drives than typical playing conditions, and you may feel extra limber.

Older folks face potential heat stroke risk, because they aren't as efficient with heat regulation as a healthy adult. If you are healthy and that's your only day free to play, why not.

Kevin

To clarify, I have a push cart. I don't have an umbrella, yet. That probably would have done loads of good keeping the sun from beating down on me. I've got one picked out, but just haven't pulled the trigger yet. 

Shooting an 86 was a "decent" to "good" round for me. I felt like I played well. My ball striking was above average today. I had 7 GIR and 7 nGIR. I had 37 putts today, which was my score killer. Oddly enough, most of my 3 putts were on my GIRs! I say this because in the super heat I would think that ball striking would be the first to go, but it didn't for me. Putting was mainly because I'm still working on breaking old habits I had with my old putter and moving to my new putter. Lines were always spot on but I would go back to "popping" the ball like I did with my old putter and would lose it way past the hole. 

Definitely need to pick up that umbrella. I imagine that would help a ton.

I'm 28 years old and in pretty darn good health/shape and I would have probably died had I actually carried my bag today... lol. Even my lighter "carry" bag.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

@jkelley9, I think if you prepare yourself with proper hydration (sounds like you did) and just pace yourself, someone who is healthy will be ok. But really, a golf forum probably isn't the best source for health information.

I'm 55, not in particularly great health and will walk 18 (push cart) in 90° temps. But I'm also not the sharpest tool in the shed so....

Jon

16 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

@jkelley9, I think if you prepare yourself with proper hydration (sounds like you did) and just pace yourself, someone who is healthy will be ok. But really, a golf forum probably isn't the best source for health information.

I'm 55, not in particularly great health and will walk 18 (push cart) in 90° temps. But I'm also not the sharpest tool in the shed so....

True, this may be a question that's better answered by a health professional. But if there's folks at there walking in or around these temps/conditions it would be good to know what precautions they take. It would at least make me feel better if people do this all the time.

Mainly it spooked me when I got back to the clubhouse and the guy thought I was crazy for walking 18 today. Not just chit-chat, but actually thought I was nuts lol.

I think others have covered it pretty well. So long as they have coolers in locations easy enough where if need be you could run ice cold water on yourself it would be less risky. I think it goes without saying that a cell phone with the clubhouse number in "recently dialed" would be wise. 

Also, you should consider carrying things like a banana, trail mix packets, something salty and carbohydrates.  With that much fluid loss even the gatorades you had were not enough electrolyte replacement.   Get a salty snack and a banana in you at the turn next time.  Force yourself to eat it because that kind of heat can sap your appetite.

Buy that umbrella, it will be worth every penny. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I think others have covered it pretty well. So long as they have coolers in locations easy enough where if need be you could run ice cold water on yourself it would be less risky. Also, think it goes without saying that a cell phone with the clubhouse number in "recently dialed" would be wise. 

Good idea on the clubhouse number. That's better than calling my wife and then having her "telephone" what I said to them (after searching for their number and being frantic and all that). 

21 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Mainly it spooked me when I got back to the clubhouse and the guy thought I was crazy for walking 18 today. Not just chit-chat, but actually thought I was nuts lol.

I hear you. The gals working at my club do the same thing to me. They just shake their heads and tell me to make sure I drink enough.

I recently rode 9 holes with a foursome and ended up walking the second 9 by myself because it had become "too hot" for them to ride. (It was only like mid 80's but these are Northern Michiganders we're talking about.)

I mean, the health risk is real enough. But walking at a leisurely pace is different than say running a marathon in that kind of heat. It certainly makes sense to take it easy. If you start getting light headed, take a knee or find a seat in the shade.

6 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I think others have covered it pretty well. So long as they have coolers in locations easy enough where if need be you could run ice cold water on yourself it would be less risky. Also, think it goes without saying that a cell phone with the clubhouse number in "recently dialed" would be wise. 

All good ideas.

4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Stay hydrated, covered in sunscreen, and walk/stand in the shade as often as you can. 

Fortunately, my course has a lot of trees which provide plenty of shade. Unfortunately, I always seem to be in them.

Jon

1 hour ago, jkelley9 said:

How hot is too hot to play a round by yourself. Is there an "unsafe" threshold for even a healthy adult?

You were looking at a heat index near 115-120 degrees. 

http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/hydration-safety/heat-index-measures-risk-heat-illness-for-athletes

"Danger: Exertional heat cramps or heat exhaustion likely, heatstroke possible"

Basically you should not be out in those conditions for prolonged periods of time even if you are constantly drinking water. 

• Upvote 3

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

38 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

You were looking at a heat index near 115-120 degrees. 

http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/hydration-safety/heat-index-measures-risk-heat-illness-for-athletes

"Danger: Exertional heat cramps or heat exhaustion likely, heatstroke possible"

Basically you should not be out in those conditions for prolonged periods of time even if you are constantly drinking water. 

Yikes. Yea this definitely seems to be the case. Since I was out without any shade (wide open course, mostly) and without an umbrella then this seems to definitely be dangerous. I didn't even wear a hat today (doh). I'll make sure I don't play in the direct sunlight like this again with these temperatures/humidity. But it looks like if I can keep the direct sunlight off me at most times that I can be in the safe zone.

To the umbrella store!

I really wouldn't want to walk in heat above 100°. In the 90s is doable for me walking, but it also does depend on humidity. I don't mind playing when it's hot, but if it is also humid I'll just stay home. When it is really scorching outside, I prefer to be in a cart. The hottest I've played in is 121°. I don't know what the hell I was thinking that day, but I don't think I'd do that again.

• Upvote 1

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I enjoy playing golf.  Playing in high temperatures/humidity takes away some of the fun.  Like playing in the rain or windy/freezing weather, if that is all that is available, I will play.

I have walked 18 when the temperature was over 100 with fairly high humidity (MI is not the desert).  Sunscreen and/or sweat gets in your eyes, your glove is soaked, you are dodging from one tree to the next, guzzling water.  No one else wants to play.  That was pretty close to the upper limit where I would not play, just like I won't play when the ground is frozen and the temps under 32 degrees.

Brian Kuehn

I had a hard enough time riding the cart on Sunday. The temperature was about 95 and the heat index was definitely triple-digits. Slamming water the whole way, my buddies and I were a total mess. Not sure if it was just a bad round or what, but I made more than my share of stupid plays. I wasn't hitting the ball well for sure, but dumb mental mistakes buried me.

Walking in that. Forget it.

I don't mind playing in the heat. If I'm riding in a cart then it's never even a thought. There have been a few instances where I walked in heat that was probably unhealthy. One time, years ago I was pretty light headed walking down the 18th fairway and had to sit down for awhile. It wasn't as hot as your round by any stretch here, maybe low/mid 90s heat index when I walked last night after work, but I took my time and took some detours into the trees to look for golf balls so I could get out of the sun for a bit. I even let a few people play through even though I could have easily stayed ahead of them, I just took the opportunity to cool down while I waited for them to play. Even so, I'm feeling it today as I'm a bit drained and tired. Could just be a little dehydrated yet so I'll try to get some more fluids than usual in today. I think it's good to get out and have a good sweat every now and then as long as you are safe about it. The only drawback for me when it comes to playing when it's that hot is that I have a hard time with keeping a good grip on the club. I never carry more than one glove and if I keep it on except for putting it doesn't take long to get soaked. I've been contemplating replacing my grips anyway though so I'll be looking for something that I can use without a glove and stays tacky/grippy even if my hands get a little sweaty.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Note: This thread is 2789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!