IGNORED

Just walked a round @ >100F heat index

jkelley9
Note: This thread is 2827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

58 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

After putting out on the 17th....

Haha! ;-)  Health scare/emergency, regain ability to stand, putt out and finish the round.  That, my friend, is loving the game!

Seriously, good to hear you recovered well without an ambulance call and all that jazz.  98F is serious/dangerous heat no matter anyone's fitness level.

BamaWade

• Upvote 1

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I walked (and carried) last Saturday. It was easily the hottest round of the year for me. It was mid 90's by the end of the round at the course I played in SE Ohio, and the humidity was above 50%. Plus, little to no breeze.

We tee off at 7, so the heat didn't start beating us up until the back 9, but it was pretty brutal. By the 15th hole, I could really feel the fatigue start to set in. I think if I would have ate more food for breakfast, I would have been ok.

I could have probably played the afternoon if I rode, but no way I would have wanted to walk it. So, that's probably my limit for walking a round, and expecting to play decently.

Well, you do say that you're a "healthy, young adult". So, what's the problem? I did the exact same thing back in the day. Heat bothers young people much less than older people (same with the cold), and you took the proper precautions with hydration and sunscreen.

When I was young I couldn't wait for the hot Summer weather. It seemed to grease up the joints and let the ball fly farther. Played league today in quite hot conditions, and even though I was in a cart, I walked my usual couple of holes, letting my buddy drive the cart.

Ever notice how your feet can swell up when you sit on your ass too much? I have! Walked those few holes in the heat today, and guess what? My feet are right how they should be!

Walked 18 yesterday with temps 85-93, but there was a good breeze. I drank 4 bottles of water and two gatorades and felt good throughout the round. I felt strong at the finished. For me, hydration is the key. The breeze really helped too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

On 7/26/2016 at 1:19 AM, 101101 said:

I draw the line at heat indexes above 95 b/c my wife will kill me if the heat doesn't.  I get too uncomfortable as well in the sweaty clothes. 

Did you carry or push a cart?  

There's a crew that walks no matter what but they're all pushing clicgears with umbrellas going so they're always in the shade except for their shot.   

I don't wish to be rude, but what the hell has your wife got to do with it ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Heat doesn't really bother me so I wouldn't really think twice about it.

Just drinking lots of fluids and be smart about it.

It's supposed to be in the low 90's tomorrow and I'm planning on playing some. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

7 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

I don't wish to be rude, but what the hell has your wife got to do with it ?

I don't mean to be rude either, but it's called a marriage.

That's what wives do. They give their husbands shit before (and for years after) we do something stupid.

2 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Heat doesn't really bother me so I wouldn't really think twice about it.

Just drinking lots of fluids and be smart about it.

It's supposed to be in the low 90's tomorrow and I'm planning on playing some. 

I'm with you on this Christian. The season is just too short up North to be cherry-picking perfect days.

Jon

17 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I'm with you on this Christian. The season is just too short up North to be cherry-picking perfect days.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzactly

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I had a 10:45 tee time, played 18 but rode.  It was hot with quite a bit of humidity and no wind to cool you off.  I definitely sweat a lot but it was never close to unbearable.  As others have said, we have 3-4 months in NY where there's no chance of golfing so you have to take advantage of it when you can.  

Joe Paradiso

Forecast Monday was for 95 and my place doesn't have AC so I figured if I was gonna roast I may as well roast outside.  Played 18 (walk and carry) and it sucked a big bowl of ass.  Clubhouse said I finished in 3 hours 20 minutes which surprised me because I was playing so poorly I hit a ton of extra shots.  Anyway, the temp made it so miserable I won't be doing that again.

I walked 9 yesterday in 90+ heat. It was late in the day and we had shade on the first few holes, so that helped. I also drank 3 bottles of fluid. Today it is going to be 95F for my league round. There is no shade on this course's front 9, so it will be a sweat fest. All this after I walked 18 on Tuesday in 90+ temps. 

I agree with @JonMA1 and @RFKFREAK, long winters make playing in this weather a must!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm spoiled here in Alabama, as we can play virtually year-round (minus the occasional short-lived winter cold-snap).  The reason I take on the summer heat is to take advantage of the long daylight hours, as I play mostly on weekday evenings; I walk at least 9 3-4 days a week (as a single), with only these blasted pop-up evening thunderstorms as my enemy.  Once late-fall and winter comes around, it's confined to weekends (again...spoiled, I know ;-) ).

Being new to the CC I joined, I need to get out and make some friends so I can get into weekend groups, as single play isn't an option, then.

BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

I do it every Saturday and Sunday down here in SW Georgia.  It's not that bad if your acclimated, take your time and keep yourself hydrated both before, during and after the round.

I walked a round yesterday afternoon and it was brutal, the hottest round so far this year by a mile, the humidity was making me hallucinate, my hat was soaked by the 4th hole, I fell asleep soon after getting home, totally spent.

Wish I was going back out today though.

Tomorrow will be interesting in S FL. I'm expecting 90ish with an assload of humidity. Riding a cart of course. I don't think walking golf is even a thing around here. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

Note: This thread is 2827 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!