IGNORED

Hamilton Musical/Soundtrack

jamo
Note: This thread is 2723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Basically all @Golfingdad and I listen to for music right now is the Hamilton soundtrack. Has anyone seen the show in person? Anyone been addicted to the soundtrack?

hamilton-soundtrack-review.jpg

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No tickets are almost impossible to come by unless you're willing to spend at least $800 per ticket.  I'll have to check out the soundtrack.  

Joe Paradiso

Yup, completely obsessed.  For weeks now I've listened to almost nothing else.  And I don't just listen either, I sing along with passion - even in the wife's car that doesn't have tinted windows!  I just don't care!! :)

Fallout from the obsession includes:  I've nearly finished reading an Alexander Hamilton bio that I've owned forever and never previously gotten around to (not the one the play is based on tho), followed up and learned other related revolutionary war era history, purchased a big "making of" book, a book with piano sheet music for some of the songs (and I can't even play the piano), and tee shirts for everybody in the family.  My work computer wallpaper is the shows logo, and my new tst signature I learned from the soundtrack as well. :/

7 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

No tickets are almost impossible to come by unless you're willing to spend at least $800 per ticket.  I'll have to check out the soundtrack.  

Good news/ bad news ... Tickets are much cheaper than that now, but it's because the original Broadway cast is nearly gone at this point.  The only main roles still remaining are GW, John Laurens/Philip Hamilton and Angelica Schuyler (and she's slated to leave in the fall sometime).

For example, stubhub tix for the next weeks worth of shows are all starting in the mid 300's now, less than half of what they were 3 weeks ago.

Wife and I fully intend to watch it during the thanksgiving week when we're in town next, so long as the tickets are "reasonable."  We are also hoping to get season tickets to the Pantages so we can see it in LA when it comes next fall.

Like I said ... Obsessed. :)

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Yup, completely obsessed.  For weeks now I've listened to almost nothing else.  And I don't just listen either, I sing along with passion - even in the wife's car that doesn't have tinted windows!  I just don't care!! :)

Fallout from the obsession includes:  I've nearly finished reading an Alexander Hamilton bio that I've owned forever and never previously gotten around to (not the one the play is based on tho), followed up and learned other related revolutionary war era history, purchased a big "making of" book, a book with piano sheet music for some of the songs (and I can't even play the piano), and tee shirts for everybody in the family.  My work computer wallpaper is the shows logo, and my new tst signature I learned from the soundtrack as well. :/

Good news/ bad news ... Tickets are much cheaper than that now, but it's because the original Broadway cast is nearly gone at this point.  The only main roles still remaining are GW, John Laurens/Philip Hamilton and Angelica Schuyler (and she's slated to leave in the fall sometime).

For example, stubhub tix for the next weeks worth of shows are all starting in the mid 300's now, less than half of what they were 3 weeks ago.

Wife and I fully intend to watch it during the thanksgiving week when we're in town next, so long as the tickets are "reasonable."  We are also hoping to get season tickets to the Pantages so we can see it in LA when it comes next fall.

Like I said ... Obsessed. :)

That's pretty good intel from the west coast, thanks!  I'll let my wife know she's been wanting to see it but didn't want to spend $1600 for us to go.  

Joe Paradiso

11 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

That's pretty good intel from the west coast, thanks!  I'll let my wife know she's been wanting to see it but didn't want to spend $1600 for us to go.  

Sure.  Can't really plan too far ahead - thanksgiving week prices haven't budged - but as each week comes the prices drop.  They'll probably jump for the week or so leading up to the final performance of each of the remaining cast, but otherwise hopefully they'll stay down.

Even when it was at Joseph Papp in preview it was a hard get. Lottery. I guess if I tried harder I might have gotten tickets but just could not justify those prices I've been watching Broadway shows forever and have done the watch a show 1,345 times before. The legs of this show and the degree of popularity are stupid insane and lost count of people who planned trips to NY just for the show. I find the values the show espouses and the jockeying for tickets contradictory but I'm happy for its success. Lot of doubters it had. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 hours ago, jamo said:

Basically all @Golfingdad and I listen to for music right now is the Hamilton soundtrack. Has anyone seen the show in person? Anyone been addicted to the soundtrack?

I'm waiting for the Aaron Burr sound track. :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

45 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

He's the narrator, so that basically is one!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

11 hours ago, jamo said:

I've only heard bits and pieces of the music, but the hip-hop element has me skeptical. My gut tells me I'll find it cheesy, but so many people seem to like it I should probably give it a chance. 

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

I've only heard bits and pieces of the music, but the hip-hop element has me skeptical. My gut tells me I'll find it cheesy, but so many people seem to like it I should probably give it a chance. 

That's an understatement. Hamilton's rise is like a hockey stick on steroids, the elevator to space more iike. It won 11 Tonys, a Pulitzer, a Grammy, an Obie, Drama Desk Awards, etc... It was sold out well before it opened on Broadway. People are flying in from all over just to watch it. Every celebrity and their mother is name/lyric dropping it.

It's not hokey, to me at least.. Just look it up in YouTube, find the ones with the lyrics, because they are smart, funny and informative. And dense. Jazz, blues, and other forms of music were "invented" in the US because of our diversity. This is just another example of how we're so good at innovating, despite the sturm and drang we're hearing so often.

Or go watch it. It's going national next year. So many people have been hooked into Hamilton or a good musical just by watching it was it was intended. Live. People who can sing/rap, dance and act - that's talent.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

3 hours ago, jamo said:

He's the narrator, so that basically is one!

Yup.  He's got a couple of great songs of his own.  Burr won the best actor Tony over Hamilton too.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

That's an understatement. Hamilton's rise is like a hockey stick on steroids, the elevator to space more iike. It won 11 Tonys, a Pulitzer, a Grammy, an Obie, Drama Desk Awards, etc... It was sold out well before it opened on Broadway. People are flying in from all over just to watch it. Every celebrity and their mother is name/lyric dropping it.

It's not hokey, to me at least.. Just look it up in YouTube, find the ones with the lyrics, because they are smart, funny and informative. And dense. Jazz, blues, and other forms of music were "invented" in the US because of our diversity. This is just another example of how we're so good at innovating, despite the sturm and drang we're hearing so often.

Or go watch it. It's going national next year. So many people have been hooked into Hamilton or a good musical just by watching it was it was intended. Live. People who can sing/rap, dance and act - that's talent.

Yeah, not hokey at all.  It's art, and a stage musical, so obviously there are some liberties taken with the story but for the most part it's very accurate.

Also of note is that there are some great songs from different genres, not just hip hop.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

It's not hokey, to me at least.. Just look it up in YouTube, find the ones with the lyrics, because they are smart, funny and informative. And dense. Jazz, blues, and other forms of music were "invented" in the US because of our diversity.

32 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Yeah, not hokey at all.  It's art, and a stage musical, so obviously there are some liberties taken with the story but for the most part it's very accurate.

Cool, I'll plan to check it out. 

If you have Amazon Prime, the soundtrack is available through its music players.

Steve

4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

If you have Amazon Prime, the soundtrack is available through its music players.

That's how we listen to it.  Wife and I fight over it occasionally during the day since we share a Prime account. :-P

In fact, lets plug in the headphones right now ... 

"How does a bastard, orphan, son of a ***** and a Scotsman ... "

On 7/30/2016 at 10:30 PM, jamo said:

Saw it with my wife and some family last Thanksgiving. I had read the Chernow book, so I loved it, but others in my family had some trouble following it. My 10 y.o. daughter is crazy about the soundtrack, so we always listen in the car. She's now really jealous that we went and she didn't. We'll have to take her at some point. We live in NYC, so it's just a matter of shelling out the $$$$ or waiting for a while.

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

It's also on Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

In my bag:

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

Saw it with my wife and some family last Thanksgiving. I had read the Chernow book, so I loved it, but others in my family had some trouble following it. My 10 y.o. daughter is crazy about the soundtrack, so we always listen in the car. She's now really jealous that we went and she didn't. We'll have to take her at some point. We live in NYC, so it's just a matter of shelling out the $$$$ or waiting for a while.

That's the option I'm taking. I'll wait for the atmospheric prices to get down to stratospheric. Although the original lead is the creator, the second lead is a better performer, not sure about the third. People get very religious which version they see, I'm a little more forgiving in some respects, although the interpretation can make a huge difference, almost a different show. You also just can't control when you're going the night an understudy is taking over.

Steve

This may sound like a stupid question but I don't pay much attention to popular culture (well, almost any culture, for that matter),  is it a biographical musical?  

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 2723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!