IGNORED

2016 Rio Olympics Thread (Sport Only)

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

It's no different than the mountain stages in the major tours. The exception may be with less familiarity with the course. But they are allowed to scout it ahead of time.

I participated in some duathlons and watch the Tour de France but am not by any means a cycling expert.   It did appear the area where the female cyclist crashed was pretty tight and the curb made it even less forgiving so I thought the analysis was accurate and worth sharing.   

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I participated in some duathlons and watch the Tour de France but am not by any means a cycling expert.   It did appear the area where the female cyclist crashed was pretty tight and the curb made it even less forgiving so I thought the analysis was accurate and worth sharing.   

I raced for 12 years and have watched a ton of cycling on TV. Every tour has crashes. Every classic has crashes. The riders are pushing themselves to the limit. They complain after the fact about the course, but in reality, they know the risk. She took the turn too fast for the conditions and lost control of her front wheel. Once you lose the front wheel, you go down. The riders behind did not crash, so it was on her.

It is much like players complaining about US Open course conditions.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

My interpretation of the video, the wheel just gave out, she was just turning with the curve, not doing anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there was some debris we didn't see. At 40 mph, any little thing on the road is potential for disaster. And when it just starts to rain, that's when the road is most dangerous, at its slickest. Cyclists know these risks before they race which is why I think they're a bit of crazy to do what they do, a lot of them are adrenaline junkies.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

There could be some freak accident, and a lifeguard is needed, small chance there is.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think it is more important to stay even then 'relaxed'. Lot of people get relaxed when taking address, make a sloowww loose BS, then instinctively jump on the ball at impact.  

My thought process is simple l - if you are gonna hit it, then HIT IT. No lolly-gagging a loosie-flooise swing. Jamie Sadlowski's advice has stuck through the years - think 'quick' not 'hard'. You have a better chance of keeping entire system softer through the swing.  

Anyway, it's good that you are thinking about it.

Vishal S.

3 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I think it is more important to stay even then 'relaxed'. Lot of people get relaxed when taking address, make a sloowww loose BS, then instinctively jump on the ball at impact.  

My thought process is simple l - if you are gonna hit it, then HIT IT. No lolly-gagging a loosie-flooise swing. Jamie Sadlowski's advice has stuck through the years - think 'quick' not 'hard'. You have a better chance of keeping entire system softer through the swing.  

Um...sir?

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

4 minutes ago, Gunther said:

8 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Um...sir?

I'd guess someone posted that in the wrong tab.  That looks very much like it belongs in the thread about relaxing during your swing.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

19 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

15 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Um...sir?

LOL ... @GolfLug definitely just clicked the wrong thread for this one. :-P:beer: 

10 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

LOL ... @GolfLug definitely just clicked the wrong thread for this one. :-P:beer: 

Yupp, wrong thread. :doh:.

The advise is worth it's weight in gold though..:-D

28 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Um...sir?

23 minutes ago, baller7345 said:

I'd guess someone posted that in the wrong tab.  That looks very much like it belongs in the thread about relaxing during your swing.

Si senor..

IDK, maybe one the mods can help me out and relocate the post? @billchao, @RandallT, @boogielicious? Anybody?

Vishal S.

27 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yupp, wrong thread. :doh:.

The advise is worth it's weight in gold though..:-D

Si senor..

IDK, maybe one the mods can help me out and relocate the post? @billchao, @RandallT, @boogielicious? Anybody?

You must live with your error!!:-P we all make them!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 minutes ago, Silent said:

Anyone watching USA - Holland womens volleyball? Amazing match, high level.

OMG, no!  I'm taping it, don't tell, please!!!

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

4 hours ago, nevets88 said:

There could be some freak accident, and a lifeguard is needed, small chance there is.

I got a good laugh out of this...thanks lol

1 hour ago, Silent said:

Anyone watching USA - Holland womens volleyball? Amazing match, high level.

What a match that was.  Excited to see what they can do moving forward.

5 hours ago, nevets88 said:

My interpretation of the video, the wheel just gave out, she was just turning with the curve, not doing anything out of the ordinary. Maybe there was some debris we didn't see. At 40 mph, any little thing on the road is potential for disaster. And when it just starts to rain, that's when the road is most dangerous, at its slickest. Cyclists know these risks before they race which is why I think they're a bit of crazy to do what they do, a lot of them are adrenaline junkies.

She started slowing down, going into the curve, but not enough. She started drifting toward the far edge and she tried the rear brakes and started losing the tail. She went to the front brakes and the wheel locked and she did an endo into the curb. CRINGE, SHUDDER.

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

It is much like players complaining about US Open course conditions.

I think the more apt comparison would be if the event organizers went out and sprayed some oil on the tight curves of the road race course, just to keep things appropriately challenging. :-P

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I'm watching tennis.  One of the commentators mentioned that the court wasn't fast and the balls were heavy.

I've got no clue about the technical aspects of tennis.  I'm assuming that the court not being "fast" refers to to not being hard and absorbs the impact.  Anyone have a little knowledge for a 15-second primer on the technical aspects of the court/equipment for me?

Yeah, I could look it up, but it's been a long day ...

Thanks

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

55 minutes ago, natureboy said:

She started slowing down, going into the curve, but not enough. She started drifting toward the far edge and she tried the rear brakes and started losing the tail. She went to the front brakes and the wheel locked and she did an endo into the curb. CRINGE, SHUDDER.

Apparently I didn't watch the slow motion closely enough. I pretty much did not want to see that again though. Cringe and shudder indeed. I thought that male cyclist who went straight into the curb off the road was bad.

17 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

I'm watching tennis.  One of the commentators mentioned that the court wasn't fast and the balls were heavy.

I've got no clue about the technical aspects of tennis.  I'm assuming that the court not being "fast" refers to to not being hard and absorbs the impact.  Anyone have a little knowledge for a 15-second primer on the technical aspects of the court/equipment for me?

Yeah, I could look it up, but it's been a long day ...

Thanks

Wimbledon has fast courts. The ball bounces low and skips and skids, used to favor serve and volleyers, that's not much of a thing anymore, so it favors the power attacking player with the big serve. Roland Garros, where the French Open is played, has slow courts, ball bounces high, sits up, favors the steady defensive player.

I guess a fast court is like a very dry Open Championship (which is appropriate because Wimbledon is in England) and a slow court is like the recent PGA Championship, ball plugs.

• Upvote 2

Steve

34 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I guess a fast court is like a very dry Open Championship (which is appropriate because Wimbledon is in England) and a slow court is like the recent PGA Championship, ball plugs.

Nice analogy.

Kevin

37 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Wimbledon has fast courts. The ball bounces low and skips and skids, used to favor serve and volleyers, that's not much of a thing anymore, so it favors the power attacking player with the big serve. Roland Garros, where the French Open is played, has slow courts, ball bounces high, sits up, favors the steady defensive player.

Thanks!

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Note: This thread is 2800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!