IGNORED

Poll: New Cleveland Rotex 2.0 60deg wedge - results of first shot?

BamaWade
Note: This thread is 2811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1st shot results w/new 60° wedge  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the results of the first shot w/my new wedge?

• Knocked it stiff! (I may or may not tell you whether or not I made the resulting putt)
    • A dreaded hosel shank (but that feels oh-so-buttery-soft!)
    • A leading-edge screamer from the bunker that hits the lip and rolls back to my feet
    • A delicate laying of sod approximately 1 foot over top of ball

Just for fun....

Long story short:  I left my Cleveland CG15 60° wedge around my CC's 9th green ~4/5 weeks ago.  Figured it'd get turned in, but no luck so far.  Tried to be patient, but our club's steep bunkers, firm/quick greens and tight pin placements are killing me.  My 54° just isn't a match for many of them no matter how much I open it up.

Today I purchased a Rotex 2.0 60° (satin, blade-style, mid-bounce - the exact equivalent of my previous 60°).  Of course, the purchase guarantees that the previous wedge will be turned in to the shop, probably within 12-24 hours.  Regardless, predict here what you believe the results of my first shot will be w/the new wedge.  Not sure if rain will let me out tonight, but I'll post back as soon as I'm able to go out.

Some pertinent general info:

• I'm currently a 13.2, but with lots of upside, just joined my club ~2 mos. back and getting back into playing a lot
  • I don't take many full shots w/the 60°; it'd have to be a tight front pin ~65-70 yds
  • Generally it's 1/2 - 2/3 pitches and lobs around the green, and the 60° is my primary bunker wedge (especially at my home club)
  • I don't chip w/the 60°; it'd take an unusual lie and pin/green-contour situation
  • These aren't the cavity-back Clevelands - they're blade-style.  Suitable for a mid-handicapper??  Hmmm...

Some pertinent info relating to each scenario:

• Knocked it stiff:  I'm a pretty good ball striker w/my wedges relative to my handicap
  • Buttery shank:  When it happens, it happens w/my 54° & 60° (but the Cleveland wedges make it feel amazing!)
  • Sand screamer:  Rain lately has our (very treacherous!) bunkers firm at the bottoms, and I've been bouncing the edge a bit
  • Laid sod:  Very rare if in fairway or fringe, but our thick, Alabama bermuda rough around the greens will extricate your soul

Feel free to present another option if you don't like mine.  Be brutal if you wanna - this is intended for fun and I don't get offended!  And, believe me, all options are possible!

BamaWade

Edited by BamaWade

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Natural Patrick said:

How can any hosel shank feel buttery soft?

I don't know, man, but they certainly do on the CG15s.  I'm a toe-hitter and not a shanker, but when I first got the CG15s I hit a full 54° from ~90y that felt amazing - the swing felt right and all.  I naturally come around and look up to watch the flight - and there is no ball to watch.  In my peripheral, I catch a glimpse of my white orb twisting low and right about 45 degrees off-line.  No way! I thought - I hadn't shanked a ball in years.  Well...way.  

BamaWade

Edited by BamaWade

I play similar Cleveland Rotex blade style wedges. Mine are black, not the satin (i don't think), but, same difference.   I absolutely love them, and I'm also a mid-handicapper.   So, I see no reason why this one wouldn't be perfectly suited for you..  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

5 hours ago, BamaWade said:

Just for fun....

Long story short:  I left my Cleveland CG15 60° wedge around my CC's 9th green ~4/5 weeks ago.  Figured it'd get turned in, but no luck so far.  Tried to be patient, but our club's steep bunkers, firm/quick greens and tight pin placements are killing me.  My 54° just isn't a match for many of them no matter how much I open it up.

Today I purchased a Rotex 2.0 60° (satin, blade-style, mid-bounce - the exact equivalent of my previous 60°).  Of course, the purchase guarantees that the previous wedge will be turned in to the shop, probably within 12-24 hours.  Regardless, predict here what you believe the results of my first shot will be w/the new wedge.  Not sure if rain will let me out tonight, but I'll post back as soon as I'm able to go out.

Some pertinent general info:

• I'm currently a 13.2, but with lots of upside, just joined my club ~2 mos. back and getting back into playing a lot
  • I don't take many full shots w/the 60°; it'd have to be a tight front pin ~65-70 yds
  • Generally it's 1/2 - 2/3 pitches and lobs around the green, and the 60° is my primary bunker wedge (especially at my home club)
  • I don't chip w/the 60°; it'd take an unusual lie and pin/green-contour situation
  • These aren't the cavity-back Clevelands - they're blade-style.  Suitable for a mid-handicapper??  Hmmm...

Some pertinent info relating to each scenario:

• Knocked it stiff:  I'm a pretty good ball striker w/my wedges relative to my handicap
  • Buttery shank:  When it happens, it happens w/my 54° & 60° (but the Cleveland wedges make it feel amazing!)
  • Sand screamer:  Rain lately has our (very treacherous!) bunkers firm at the bottoms, and I've been bouncing the edge a bit
  • Laid sod:  Very rare if in fairway or fringe, but our thick, Alabama bermuda rough around the greens will extricate your soul

Feel free to present another option if you don't like mine.  Be brutal if you wanna - this is intended for fun and I don't get offended!  And, believe me, all options are possible!

BamaWade

SO "knocked it stiff" is a good thing?

BTW my most valued club is my Cleveland 56 wedge. Partly because I'm always on the way to the green, somehow never ON the green ha ha

cleveland-cg15-black-pearl-60-lob-wedge-

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

This thread is the most alarming thing I've seen since Roy McAvoy got the shanks in Tin Cup.

You're scaring us, man!

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Voted for knocking it stiff :banana: but let us see what the actual result is.  If not, my second choice will be sod over ball :whistle:

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I voted 'knock it stiff" too. The first shot with a new club is always great. Shot 2 on the other hand...

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I wanted to vote chili dip or flipped the club and traveled half of the intended distance...but since that isn't there I'll go with "D".

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I went with knocked it stiff. I'm banking on your first shot being a simple pitch or partial swing approach that doesn't involve being in a bunker. Plus all the other options are disastrous and I'm assuming you have a decent short game as a mid-capper.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)

Well I guess I should've added a 5th option for "Mediocre anticlimactic lame-to-report-back 'meh' shot".  Really, it'd be the highest-percentage result given I have too many of those in any given round.

Last evening.  Hole 2, downhill par 3 playing 173y with a pond fronting the green (stone retaining wall, so all carry).  That tee/pin combo is a 6i for me off the tee.  I caught it just barely heavy enough where I knew it wouldn't make it, though the darn thing was laser-straight at the pin (not something I do often).  It surprised me by almost making it - splashed about a foot short of the wall.

Drop area left me with a pitch to a short-side pin with a small knoll built up at edge of green - blech!  Drop circle was rough - so, healthy, thick bermuda.  My drop settled into it a bit, but doable.  Called for my new 60°.  Bermuda grabbed my club at impact and my shot came out on-line but weak...hit 1' short of the fringe, but bounced onto the fringe over the knoll and rolled slowly down to leave me about 15' for bogey.  Missed and took double. :-(

First clean look I had with it was hole 10 from about 55y and a pin that called for the 60°.  Kept my feet and action quiet to keep trajectory where I wanted with good check-up.  Came over the top just a little and had great contact and flight, but 20' offline left.  Another 'meh'.  But I drained the 20 footer (a bad drive/punchout made it a par, not a birdie).

I did get to play 9 Friday night, but didn't hit the 60°.  In fact, mentioning the word "sh-nk" in my OP summoned the demon.  Went to range first, hit 3-4 very nice warmup 8i shots, then eek - sh-nk!  WTH?  Been forever since I sh-nked a non-wedge/full shot.  Then, 2 more.  Cleared my head, and next 5 or so were fine...then...bam!  Another sh-nk.  I walked off the range.  Figured I'd play 9 to work through it and clear my head.  Sh-nked a short pitch on the 1st, then a 9i on the 3rd :pound:.  After that, worked it out and started striking the ball very well, and finished out well., but oddly, never had a shot w/the 60°.

Anyway, I'm glad I faced it head on, and gave myself a pat on the back for hitting the course to exorcise the demon.  If I'd have given up, it'd have stayed in my head for who knows how long.  No sh-nks in last night's round or anything close.

I should've never typed the word! ;-)

For everyone who participated in the poll or thread, you all win by default, and I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet and play!

BamaWade

Edited by BamaWade
spelling

Note: This thread is 2811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!