IGNORED

Getting older, getting better?

MacDutch
Note: This thread is 2781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have played golf for 7 years now and every year has been a succes, getting better every year. Next year I will be 60. Off course I will set a new target at getting better again in my 8th year of golf, but age will take its toll somewhere in the future. Mick Jaggers song 'time waits for no one' will kick in sooner or later.

This year got me from 8.5 to 7.1. How did the TST members do around this age? What did you do to get better after reaching 60?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm approaching 60..  Dang...where did time go? I've only taken golf serious in the last four years.   I've swung a club for many years but never practiced.   This year, after retirement, I've put in the time to improve and it has shown results.   I'm in good health, occasionally mountain biking, rollerblading and some tennis.  My biggest fear is flexibility.    I've taken several yoga classes but I believe that is the key to enjoying sports at an older age.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I too am 60 next year. I only took it up a year ago though. My problem is that I do have the time to play, as I am now retired. I play in excess of 60 holes a week, which sounds great, but it is taking it's toll on my body. Although my progress was quite rapid, I am now suffering from some muscle fatigue, and as of late my golf is absolutely terrible, Of course, I need to rest more, but when you actually have the time to play, that's exactly what you want to do.

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I'm 43 and not near 60 yet but I did want to chime in that it all depends on what shape you are in.   There are a number of people 55-60 where I play who hit the ball quite long and they keep themselves in shape.   A man late 50s won the first flight of our CC this year and is a 3 or 4 handicap who hits the ball very well.   Couple of years ago he was an 8.

—Adam

I am 45 and I am shooting the lowest scores of my life. I certainly am not is as good of shape as I was in my 30s, but my short game and putting is a lot better, but mostly it's because I advance the ball a lot better.

- Shane

I turned 74 yrs this year. Broke score of  80 twice last year. Been struggling ever since, but its coming back after nearly a year of not playing much. Some simply have more innate ability, some are in better physical shape. I am not one to work out, but I get a lot of exercise doing things around the house which sometimes are more strenuous than a work out. Laying in a rock landscape, shoveling 5 cubic yards of gravel, things like that. I still walk the course once in awhile, but I tire much easier. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

5 hours ago, MacDutch said:

I have played golf for 7 years now and every year has been a succes, getting better every year. Next year I will be 60. Off course I will set a new target at getting better again in my 8th year of golf, but age will take its toll somewhere in the future. Mick Jaggers song 'time waits for no one' will kick in sooner or later.

This year got me from 8.5 to 7.1. How did the TST members do around this age? What did you do to get better after reaching 60?

I can't wait to get strokes from you and your gay 9 next month!  :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

16 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

@David in FL Is referring to the yearly match we play (8 dutchies against a David bunch). I have a nine wood in my bag, its called the gay nine by my golfing friends. 

Whew. Thanks for clearing that up. It was a bit awkward to read I must say. :-)

- Shane

22 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Whew. Thanks for clearing that up. It was a bit awkward to read I must say. :-)

What I didn't mention is that @MacDutch is deadly with that damn thing.  I hate it!  :mad:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I started playing golf at age 40 and will turn 65 this November.  I was never able to play more than 20 - 30 rounds/year and my double digit handicap between 15 and 20 has remained consistent, and I am now a 17.5.  However, thanks to club and ball technology I can still play comfortably from the middle tees at my home course and most courses in my area.  I plan to retire in a year or so and do expect to lower my handicap below 15.  I predict 210-220 yard drives, more consistent approach game, and a very good game around the greens because I finally have the TIME.  Of course this is all dependent  on avoiding any serious health issues. 

I'm 70 and still play to a 2 handicap. I've shot my age 14 times so far, and continue to play well. I only retired about 2 years ago, and play 4 to 5 times each week.

My health is good, although I have a lot more aches and pains than ever before. I walk about half the time, but wish I could do it more. Golf is such a great game, and I hope to keep at it for many years to come. I've played since I was 12 years old. 

• Upvote 1

I turned 60 in January, and am playing the best golf of my life.  I'm not particularly fit, but I'm reasonably healthy.   I walk and carry my bag, at least most times when the high temps are under 90 F.  I haven't made any significant changes to my swing in the last 10 years or so, but I did start at least weekly practice sessions a few years back, to maintain simple basics like alignment and tempo.  I've also started stretching regularly.  There's definitely no reason to think that increasing age definitely means increasing scores.  I'm still working, but I hope I can afford to retire within the next 5 years.  I'll be looking forward to playing (and maybe even practicing) more, although I also wonder if I'll value my chances to play golf any less when I have more chances to play.  Time will tell.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

From 53 to 65 were some of the best years of golf for me. But at that point I started going down hill. In my early 60's I started playing every day. In those three years I play approximately a total of 950+ rounds. I also practiced almost every day as well. It took its toll on me and by my late 60's while I still played three times a week my scoring started going down hill and my enjoyment of playing the game started to suffer. A couple of years ago I stopped worrying about my score and just went out and played to enjoy my companions, the lovely scenery and did not let a bad hole or day of playing poorly bother me all that much any more. I just got too obsessed with scoring and forgot how to enjoy the game. So my advice would be enjoy shooting low scores but do not get so obsessed you forget to enjoy yourself out there. 

• Upvote 2

On September 12, 2016 at 5:14 PM, Pendragon said:

I'm 70 and still play to a 2 handicap. I've shot my age 14 times so far, and continue to play well. I only retired about 2 years ago, and play 4 to 5 times each week.

My health is good, although I have a lot more aches and pains than ever before. I walk about half the time, but wish I could do it more. Golf is such a great game, and I hope to keep at it for many years to come. I've played since I was 12 years old. 

BO$$

:beer:

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Note: This thread is 2781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!