IGNORED

Use of artificial light after dark

drmevo
Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After reading this thread:  

I had asked the question of whether using flashlights/smartphones or whatever kind of artificial light in order to play in the dark might be prohibited under the rules regarding unusual equipment or artificial devices.  I couldn't find anything specifically allowing or prohibiting artificial lighting, but it seems like one could argue it is assisting a player in making his stroke if he would otherwise have trouble seeing the ball. Do any of the rules experts have any thoughts?

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

After reading this thread:  

I had asked the question of whether using flashlights/smartphones or whatever kind of artificial light in order to play in the dark might be prohibited under the rules regarding unusual equipment or artificial devices.  I couldn't find anything specifically allowing or prohibiting artificial lighting, but it seems like one could argue it is assisting a player in making his stroke if he would otherwise have trouble seeing the ball. Do any of the rules experts have any thoughts?

Let me guess, you are asking because your old college roommate was kick out of school for a little night putting. Night putting with the 15 year old daughter of the Dean.

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Let me guess, you are asking because your old college roommate was kick out of school for a little night putting. Night putting with the 15 year old daughter of the Dean.

Mitch! :banana:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

15 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I should've seen that one coming  :-P

4 hours ago, Rulesman said:

Playing under floodlights is quite common, especially in the middle east and parts of Asia.

http://www.yourgolftravel.com/19th-hole/2016/01/28/night-clubbing-where-you-can-play-night-golf-under-the-floodlights/

Interesting. I had heard of night golf before but always figured it was more of a novelty. And the more I think about it, if artificial light were not allowed, you'd probably have to also disallow sunglasses (they help you see when there's too much light), which would be ridiculous. 

I recall a tournament running late sometime in the last few weeks, where the commentators mentioned that the last group was able to finish putting out because the leaderboard was so bright. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 9/15/2016 at 5:16 PM, Missouri Swede said:

I recall a tournament running late sometime in the last few weeks, where the commentators mentioned that the last group was able to finish putting out because the leaderboard was so bright. 

Yes, I was thinking of that too when I posted this.  I was thinking that since the scoreboard was already there and just happened to be providing light that was one thing, but people purposely lighting up the green with their phones for a specific person might be different.

21 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Yes, I was thinking of that too when I posted this.  I was thinking that since the scoreboard was already there and just happened to be providing light that was one thing, but people purposely lighting up the green with their phones for a specific person might be different.

Here ya go.  At least in Australia, it's been done:

The Four Ball Better Ball Friday competition attracted a large field of 196 players. The last golfers were encouraged to finish their round with the help of car headlights on the 9th and 18th holes much to the amusement of the waiting spectators.

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

There's a 9 hole course in Vegas that offers after dark golfing. They have street lights lighting up the place. It ' been quite a while, but I have played there a few times over the years. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

50 minutes ago, Patch said:

There's a 9 hole course in Vegas that offers after dark golfing. They have street lights lighting up the place. It ' been quite a while, but I have played there a few times over the years. 

That sounds like it could be fun to try but the fact that it exists, like the popular courses in Asia @Rulesman mentioned, doesn't necessarily mean it's legal (not that I'm arguing it's definitely illegal).  

It was really just a curiosity of mine when I considered how certain uses of an umbrella or playing music can be a penalty.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like another tournament was finished with the help of artificial light, this time from a tractor: http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/tractor-headlight-guides-drexel-golfer-sudden-death-chip-in

With all the talk about artificial devices in the heart rate monitor thread, I'm back to not understanding why artificial light is OK when there is no rule or decision specifically allowing it.  Can anyone provide clarification, other than to say, "here are some cases where it's been done?" 

On 9/15/2016 at 1:50 PM, drmevo said:

I should've seen that one coming  :-P

Interesting. I had heard of night golf before but always figured it was more of a novelty. And the more I think about it, if artificial light were not allowed, you'd probably have to also disallow sunglasses (they help you see when there's too much light), which would be ridiculous. 

They do quite a lot of night golf in the middle east, like @Rulesman said. Its getting more and more popular due to the fact that its often far too hot to play in the day during the summer months. Mark Crossfield has a course Vlog on his Youtube channel, i think its a course in Turkey. Cant remember off hand.

As a side re being too hot to play, my wifes Uncle lives in Dubai and said its a local law that during summer golfers must use golf buggies as they had so many reports of people collapsing from the heat.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

(edited)
46 minutes ago, Martyn W said:

That's not how the RoG work; if it doesn't say you can't, you can.  ;)

Then why isn't a heart rate monitor allowed? The rules don't say you can't have one.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I can't tell what the deciding factor is.

Edited by drmevo

29 minutes ago, drmevo said:

Then why isn't a heart rate monitor allowed? The rules don't say you can't have one.

I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I can't tell what the deciding factor is.

14-3 covers the prohibitions, the note covers exceptions. The 'deciding factors' are: 1. 'does the device assist the player?', and 2. 'is there a medical necessity justifying an exception?'

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Martyn W said:

14-3 covers the prohibitions, the note covers exceptions. The 'deciding factors' are: 1. 'does the device assist the player?', and 2. 'is there a medical necessity justifying an exception?'

Wouldn't the light assist the player though? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just still don't understand the distinction.

Here are some decisions that may or may not be relevant. Maybe it boils down to whether or not you consider darkness part of "the elements."

14-2/2

Player Holds Umbrella Over Own Head When Playing Stroke

Q.A player playing in the rain holds an umbrella over his head with one hand while holing a very short putt, gripping the putter with the other hand. Is this permissible?

A.Yes. Rule 14-2a prohibits a player, while making a stroke, from accepting protection from the elements from someone other than himself. However, it does not prohibit him from protecting himself.

14-2/2.5

Player Positions Bag for Purpose of Providing Shade for Ball

Q.A player positions his golf bag near the teeing ground for the purpose of blocking the sunlight from the position where he tees his ball. He then makes a stroke. Is he in breach of Rule 14-2?

A.Yes. As the player was not in contact with the golf bag, he accepted protection from the elements in breach of Rule 14-2a. This answer differs from that in Decision 14-2/2 as, in that case, the player was in contact with the umbrella.

While a player may not place an object or position a person for the purpose of blocking the sunlight from his ball, he may ask a person (e.g., a spectator) who is already in position not to move, so that a shadow remains over the ball, or to move, so that his shadow is not over the ball.

14-2/3

Caddie Shields Player from Sun During Stroke

Q.May a player's caddie purposely stand between the player and the setting sun so that the sun's glare is not in the player's face while he is playing a stroke?

A.No. Such procedure is a breach of Rule 14-2a.

There was a made-for-TV tournament called the Battle at Bighorn back in the early 2000s that finished under the lights several times.  Tiger was usually in it.

Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!