IGNORED

Irons for a 6-handicapper...

Note: This thread is 2732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

I'm a 6-handicap (floating between 5 and 6 for a few years now) although being honest my long game is more like a 8/9-handicap. I've been using Callaway Big Bertha irons for about 10 years (big chunky heads on them) and am looking to buy some second-hand irons. I've always had an eye for Titleist irons - anyone have a recommendation? I hit a 5-iron 175, hit the ball pretty consistently so I don't think I need the heads I have at the moment. Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Check out the MB 710,712 & 714's. They are not new so you should be able to get them at a fair price.  I hit the 712's while out looking for some Mizunos and liked them.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Titl AP2s... are great sticks. You shouldn't have trouble finding a gently used set. BTW, checkout last years Callaway XR Pros or APEX Pros. Not chunky and a super hot face.  

Vishal S.

Another AP-2 vote.  Great sticks.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I love and highly recommend my AP2's but it seems like you might be a better fit for AP1's for your long game.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I'm happy with my AP-2 714 irons.  I'm using the KBS Tour shaft, it launches a little higher than the Dynamic Golf shafts did when I tried them.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

You could consider a blended set, AP1's for longer irons, AP2's or even CB's for short irons.  The heads are a major factor, but so are the shafts.  Getting fitted for the right shafts could help out your long game and would eliminate the need for a blended set.  Overall, as others suggested, AP-2's would be the ideal Titleist heads for you.  

Joe Paradiso

Since you're budget-conscious, try last year's Apex irons if your can. This is the base Apex, not the earlier Apex Pro or the newer CG.16s.

When I worked the U.S. Senior Amateur in September, several players had these Apex irons in their bags. And, these were guys who made the Round of 64 (match play after the 36-hole stroke play qualifier).

Just something to consider.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I upgraded my 710 CB's to the 716 AP2 last year. Turned out to be a great decision. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

3 hours ago, newtogolf said:

You could consider a blended set, AP1's for longer irons, AP2's or even CB's for short irons.  The heads are a major factor, but so are the shafts.  Getting fitted for the right shafts could help out your long game and would eliminate the need for a blended set.  Overall, as others suggested, AP-2's would be the ideal Titleist heads for you.  

I use a blended set, myself. I use AP1's for my 4 and 5 irons. I feel like its impossible to miss those things. I use the AP2's throughout the rest of my set.

I'm really surprised by the huge majority of us who suggest the Titleist clubs.  In your situation, I think its a good idea to look at a number of manufacturers.  My previous irons were Mizuno, they make very good clubs, as do Ping, Callaway, TaylorMade, and a number of others.  I don't know if you can find a place that deals in second hand clubs where you can actually try them out, but you should go that route if you possibly can.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Name recognition?  Remember the Yonex? At one time, considered the "elite" of clubs, and quite pricey.  I have not heard mention of them lately. As for major brands, most of their components come from the same sources, such as "Coast Cast" who made the heads for various manufactures. according to their specs. I used to see a few "Clevelands", in a box of Titleist heads when I worked there. Even Scotty Cameron Putters, are only assembled at the Titleist plant(s), in most cases. They are sent out to a number of sub vendors during the processing. I ran the data base that tracked them.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I went with the Callaway X-forged irons. If you look them up they're the 2009 model. Great clubs and helped me go from an 8 or 9 to a 4 hcp. I still see a set on the used rack at GolfSmith from time to time. Definitely worth a shot if you can find them. I play a 21* hybrid in place of the three iron though. I'm not that brave!

39 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm really surprised by the huge majority of us who suggest the Titleist clubs.  In your situation, I think its a good idea to look at a number of manufacturers.  My previous irons were Mizuno, they make very good clubs, as do Ping, Callaway, TaylorMade, and a number of others.  I don't know if you can find a place that deals in second hand clubs where you can actually try them out, but you should go that route if you possibly can.  

I think it is because OP expressed interest in Titleist. Agree with the rest of the post.

Vishal S.

On 10/3/2016 at 2:22 PM, Hacker James said:

Name recognition?  Remember the Yonex? At one time, considered the "elite" of clubs, and quite pricey.  I have not heard mention of them lately. ...

Yonex was alive and well in January at the PGA Merchandise Show. One of the Y reps from Japan did an excellent  job explaining their new XPG iron set.

Next, I offered to do a video clip on Y for TST. But the guy got flustered and declined to let me get some digital on him. He would have been good for at least 90 seconds if I could have gotten him going.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

For a 6 handicapper, here are several of the irons that you might want to demo and look at from each major brand that I know about.

Titleist

• AP1 (perhaps for long irons)
  • AP2 (for full set, shorter irons when blended with AP1, or long irons when blended with CB's)
  • CB (for short irons in a blended set with AP2's/AP1's, or as a full set if you like them enough)

Callaway

• Apex (can also be the long irons in a blended set)
  • Apex Pro

PING

• i25 irons (one model older, so you can get them for cheap now)
  • s55 irons (same deal as i25's. I personally play these and find them as just easy to hit as the i25 irons while looking/feeling better)

Mizuno

• MP 59 (possible as the long irons in a combo set if you like the other option better in short irons)
  • MP 15 (newer version of the MP 59)
  • MP 64 (the mizuno CB blade)

Taylormade

• RSI 1 (similar to AP1)
  • RSI 2 (similar to AP2)
  • Speedblade (similar to AP2, slightly older/cheaper to find than RSI 2)
  • Tour Preferred Muscle Cavity (similar to Titleist CB)

Nike (these clubs are newer, but may go on deep discount with Nike moving out of the clubs market)

• Fly (similar to AP1)
  • Fly Pro (similar to AP2)
  • Fly Combo (similar to Titleist CB)

Those are the clubs that I might recommend you at least test from the various brands. It's a lot of clubs to go out and hit, I know, but you might be surprised by the best performers. The Apex Pro's surprised me when I was testing for irons and made it a really tough choice for me (I was about a 2.5 handicap then) between the MP 69, the s55, and the Apex Pros after all the testing. I personally expected to really like the AP2's with all I've heard about them, but I couldn't stand them at all. I hit them about 10 yards shorter than anything else, including the Titleist MB and CB irons, and they felt clunky to me, but your mileage may vary since it is different for every golfer.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!