IGNORED

2016 MLB Playoffs

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, iacas said:

They're out. Touching the base is touching the base.

Agreed 100%. It's not a big deal, either, since runners will adapt and learn to slide correctly to maintain contact with the base.

3 hours ago, iacas said:

There's no longer a neighborhood play at second base either. The shortstop or whomever has to touch the base with the ball.

Or with his foot. :-P 

They actually didn't get rid of the neighborhood play; they just made it reviewable, so it's become much less egregious. They still cheat a bit, and the umpires still call it an out.

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

The strike zone is another grey area.

Yeah, although I think the availability of accurate pitch tracking technology has helped that quite a bit.

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Revenge.  So many times, I've seen teams close out big playoff advances in Cleveland.  Whether it's the CAVS, Indians or even the Browns, teams have celebrated on our fields and in our locker rooms.

Nothing would make my Sunday more than seeing the Tribe close out the Red Sox IN Boston. And do it TODAY.

It would be a day for the ages if somehow the Browns could beat the Pats at home and have the Tribe close out the Sox at Fenway. I'd have to punch myself in the face to make sure it wasn't a dream.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

4 hours ago, iacas said:

They're out. Touching the base is touching the base.

There's no longer a neighborhood play at second base either. The shortstop or whomever has to touch the base with the ball.

Once you start saying you're "close enough" you add grey area where there need not be any.

There's also an art to sliding and maintaining contact.

This rule has been called for at least a few years now. Last year several Pirates were called out on replay trying to steal second for not maintaining contact.

It's right IMO. Maintain contact. Can't really write it any other way.

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

They're out. It is the rule. Pretty simple. I never liked the 'neighborhood' plays either. We can't have the game have to be precise in one place and loosey-goosey in another. The strike zone is another grey area.

I don't disagree with either of you, really (because I have no idea how they could write a rule to make this situation be considered safe without ridiculous side effects), except in one regard - the described situation is not nearly the same as the "neighborhood" plays you both mentioned.  Those are players either intentionally avoiding the base or being really lazy because they've been allowed to - this situation is not that at all.

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I don't disagree with either of you, really (because I have no idea how they could write a rule to make this situation be considered safe without ridiculous side effects), except in one regard - the described situation is not nearly the same as the "neighborhood" plays you both mentioned.  Those are players either intentionally avoiding the base or being really lazy because they've been allowed to - this situation is not that at all.

The way I heard someone write is: if you've already touched the base and your torso remains in the space above the base, you'd still be considered "on the base." 

And I'm not sure I agree that it's entirely different from neighborhood plays. Runners have slid past the base a bit in this fashion forever basically "because they've been allowed to."

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, jamo said:

The way I heard someone write is: if you've already touched the base and your torso remains in the space above the base, you'd still be considered "on the base."

This makes sense.  It would also make it easier to transition to breakaway bases like they have in little league, once a couple guys rip their ankles in half during the same season.

Amazing LDS series - Blue Jays sweep Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   On to bigger and better things!!! Let's go Blue Jays!!!

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

21 hours ago, Jmdmbike said:

Amazing LDS series - Blue Jays sweep Texas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   On to bigger and better things!!! Let's go Blue Jays!!!

What a difference a month makes 

I felt like Blue Jays might not even get out of a wildcard while the Red Sox looked unbeatable 

How quickly things change 

The Indians sweep the Red Soxs!!! :beer::dance:

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

What a night for sports for me,  Nats-Dodgers in the deciding game, and opening of hockey with Caps-Penguins, both starting at 8 PM.  I may need to stop on my way home and buy back-up batteries for the remote.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

What a night for sports for me,  Nats-Dodgers in the deciding game, and opening of hockey with Caps-Penguins, both starting at 8 PM.  I may need to stop on my way home and buy back-up batteries for the remote.

Hope the Nats have better luck in the playoffs than the Caps. But hey, at least they're not facing a team from Pittsburgh… ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Hope the Nats have better luck in the playoffs than the Caps. But hey, at least they're not facing a team from Pittsburgh… ;-)

In this particular case, and based on the pitchers scheduled, I think the Nats have an edge, but an edge isn't always enough in a single game.  Last year, the Pens had a clear advantage, and it showed against the Caps.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

1 minute ago, Golfaddict247 said:

Oh man, do I miss the Nationals! I want to see the Nats play again so bad , but I guess I will have to wait until next spring :(

You and me both, my friend.  At least we have the Capitals regular season to watch through the winter, they're always entertaining.  And then the Nats will start up just before the Cap's annual swoon.

Dave

On 10/19/2016 at 7:47 PM, Golfingdad said:

See @Slice of Life, I told you you didn't need to be nervous. :beer:

That, you did!

Thanks for pointing out this thread, didn't realize it existed haha. With that said, I'm going to be nervous for the next 2 weeks now lol

Seems like one of those "team of destiny" scenarios right now, but I've seen my sports teams in a collective 5 world championship appearances, and we're 1 in 5 lol

Us fans are trying to get Charlie Sheen (Rick Vaughn) to throw out the first pitch...would be so awesome!

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Dodgers are painting themselves into a corner here.  Barring a miracle here, they are going to have to win two games on the road this weekend.  At least they have Kershaw going in the first one.

A Cubs-Indians series will be fun to watch though.

20 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Dodgers are painting themselves into a corner here.  Barring a miracle here, they are going to have to win two games on the road this weekend.  At least they have Kershaw going in the first one.

A Cubs-Indians series will be fun to watch though.

Cubs scare the bejeebus out of me. They're so good...

With that said, if anyone else has to win the whole thing...I'd be happier for Cubs fans than anyone else. However...Chicago has plenty of championships, so we'll try to take this one. kthx.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Congratulations to all the Cubs and Indians fans. This was the matchup I was hoping for after the Tigers were eliminated.

I got to thinking about how long it had been for both franchises... of all the generations of parents taking their kids to Wriggly field, knowing the team didn't have a chance of going anywhere in the post season. I'm happy for both cities.

Looking forward to a great World Series. 

Jon

Note: This thread is 2701 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!