IGNORED

Cortisone Injection

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 hours ago, Bronco9798 said:

I've had them twice in my hips and 3 times in each shoulder in the last 12 years.  Dr. wouldn't give me more than three in each place and I have since had 3 shoulder surgeries. AC joint, shaved back two touching bones, and cleared out scar tissue in my left shoulder.  Then had both rotator cuffs repaired.  I have no issues in my shoulders now.  Hip still flares at times but not planning on doing anything with it in the near future.  Cortisone shots in the shoulder worked for me before my surgeries though.  I went about 2 years in between them.  Finally had to have the surgeries. 

and they say sport os good for you. Anyway, now my elbow has settled down after the jab, I can inform you all that it is exactly the same as it was before, PAINFUL

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Had a frozen right shoulder after heart surgery - massage did not loosen it up enough - cortisone shot and stretching it out - doc's orders were to stretch it until you screamed in pain for 10 seconds. After another 9 months - it worked. The cortisone allowed me to stretch it out.

Advice - change all clubs except putter to lighteweight graphite shafts. Will get rid of future shoulder and elbow pain. In fact, for younger guys, no reason not to go with high quality graphite since golf is a game for life, and pain is no way to go through life.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, paininthenuts said:

and they say sport os good for you. Anyway, now my elbow has settled down after the jab, I can inform you all that it is exactly the same as it was before, PAINFUL

@paininthenuts, while most patients get relief within 48-72 hrs from the injection, some take as long as 10 days so don't lose faith just yet. Having said that, if you give it another week without resolution of symptoms, having little to no real relief from the injection, I would suggest you return to your orthopedist as he/she may want an MRI to evaluate for the degree of tendinopathy vs tendon tearing (see my initial response to you). It's unfortunate you haven't gotten relief as of yet, but don't lose hope....but don't aggravate it (play golf) in the interim while waiting to see how things play out this week!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• 1 year later...

bumping this old thread as I've been sidelined from golf for the last month due to a sore lead (left) elbow.  Prior to, I had really stepped up my practice time -- must've screwed something up on the blessed range mats.  I have a sharpish pain just by making a tight fist when my arm is extended (not when my elbow is bent fwiw), and light activities like sweeping the floor or picking things up at the wrong angle give the same pain.

I tried RICE method for about a week but the symptoms persist.

@woodzie264 - what should be my next step(s)?  Dr visit, yeah?

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 10/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, wannabe said:

I would - you don't want that inflammation to sit there too long and NSAIDs generally won't help that

Edited by woodzie264
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 10/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, wannabe said:

bumping this old thread as I've been sidelined from golf for the last month due to a sore lead (left) elbow.  Prior to, I had really stepped up my practice time -- must've screwed something up on the blessed range mats.  I have a sharpish pain just by making a tight fist when my arm is extended (not when my elbow is bent fwiw), and light activities like sweeping the floor or picking things up at the wrong angle give the same pain.

NSAIDS can actually help this. Along with rest which is the hardest thing to do. But if it’s that persistent you should get imaging done to evaluate the actual injury. If it’s a partial tear then NSAIDS/Ice/Rest may be all that’s needed..maybe some splinting as well. But If the tear is significant you may need a surgical approach. Almost all the time inflammation is the root cause of these issues so NSAIDS can certainly provide help. When nerves get involved NSAIDS are less helpful. Good luck and take care.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Had a shoulder issue a few years ago after slipping while shoveling snow. Thought it was just a bruise until it was still there 2 months later. Almost everything I did or position I put it in would hurt like the dickens... EXCEPT my golf swing. As long as I swung on the correct plane, there was no pain. But I don't just play golf... so I needed a cortisone shot or two. First one lasted about 4-6 months. Second one took care of it and no issues since.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RayG said:

Had a shoulder issue a few years ago after slipping while shoveling snow. Thought it was just a bruise until it was still there 2 months later. Almost everything I did or position I put it in would hurt like the dickens... EXCEPT my golf swing. As long as I swung on the correct plane, there was no pain. But I don't just play golf... so I needed a cortisone shot or two. First one lasted about 4-6 months. Second one took care of it and no issues since.

Sorry honey, I can’t mow the grass this week...my darn shoulder again. Proceeds to load up golf clubs... “what, golf is the only time it doesn’t hurt, I swear.” Lmao

I’m not making fun, I just think it’s hilarious

On 10/19/2018 at 7:31 AM, wannabe said:

Is this possibly a pinched nerve in the neck? I had similar symptoms earlier this year.

I just recovered from a pinched nerve in the neck. PT and a trainer have helped me fix my pain, and build a new swing that doesn’t aggravate anything in the neck.

That, and I lost a 40 pounds this last year!

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've had frozen shoulder twice, once in each shoulder. For whatever reason, I let it get to the point of barely being able to move my shoulder and severely impacting my sleep before going to the orthopedist.  Each time a cortisone shot and a follow-up stretching routine have almost immediately (within 2 - 3 days) done the trick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Sorry honey, I can’t mow the grass this week...my darn shoulder again. Proceeds to load up golf clubs... “what, golf is the only time it doesn’t hurt, I swear.” Lmao

I’m not making fun, I just think it’s hilarious

Which is why I was told to get that shot... or else.

Edited by RayG
  • Like 1

The injections can certainly be helpful for pain relief. However if this is a chronic issue or persistent intensity imaging should be done to ensure there isn’t damage being masked by the steroid/lidocaine or Marcaine injection. The steroid can actually hinder the healing process long term so good to know the root cause of the pain.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Thanks for all the feedback and advice, gang.  I'm scheduling an appt.

@Lihu, interesting, I have tight shoulders/traps; we'll see what the doc says.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Hope you improve soon. Good news is that golfers and tennis elbow is treatable and most of us will get it at some point. bad news is that it can be a pain to get rid of. I had it bad 2 years ago and i ended up going to the doctor who advised me to not even pick a club up till the pain went.

3 months later i got back to golf. Once the pain went i started doing excercises to strengthen the muscles including wrist curls and squeezing a stess ball 20 times 3 times a day.

The only way to get rid of golf/tennis elbow is to stop what is making it worse, in this case golf, till you are better. Once back playing ensure you warm the muscles up before you play, support them if need be (I use an elbow band from time to time). At least its getting to winter so you wont feel too bad not playing.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!