IGNORED

What's Your Favorite Grip and Grip Size?

Note: This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

the new hybrid I purchased from Bobby Jones Golf came with a Winn Dri-tec.  I really like the feel of it and would like to regrip all my irons with them, a little pricey, but as mentioned earlier, maybe buy a grip kit and DIY.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Gripmaster Perforated Leather Wrap with a thick piece of Gorilla Tape and then a few squirts of solvent around the grip mouth and end of shaft - blow it on (I don't like to wear gloves and leather keeps tack wet, dry, or in-between). Still, this leather does not like much buildup.

2. BestGrips makes a nice stitched perf leather grip - use them on irons

3. Lamkin UTx - (cord, 2 wraps, Lamkin 3GenAce Performance Grip)

4 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

the new hybrid I purchased from Bobby Jones Golf came with a Winn Dri-tec.  I really like the feel of it and would like to regrip all my irons with them, a little pricey, but as mentioned earlier, maybe buy a grip kit and DIY.

I used the Winn Dri-Tac for a couple of years  - then the humidity and heat came this summer at the range and nothing would work except leather - but nice grip - real comfy as one gets older.

I'd like to see a review of the BJ Black Hybrid - I used that club for 2 years and liked it. I may go back to it.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

22 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

1. Gripmaster Perforated Leather Wrap with a thick piece of Gorilla Tape and then a few squirts of solvent around the grip mouth and end of shaft - blow it on (I don't like to wear gloves and leather keeps tack wet, dry, or in-between). Still, this leather does not like much buildup.

2. BestGrips makes a nice stitched perf leather grip - use them on irons

3. Lamkin UTx - (cord, 2 wraps, Lamkin 3GenAce Performance Grip)

I used the Winn Dri-Tac for a couple of years  - then the humidity and heat came this summer at the range and nothing would work except leather - but nice grip - real comfy as one gets older.

I'd like to see a review of the BJ Black Hybrid - I used that club for 2 years and liked it. I may go back to it.

I believe there is already a review of the earlier model on this forum, or simply go to the Bobby Jones Website for a demo video. Price is a little up there at around $200 after tax and shipping.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

1 hour ago, Hacker James said:

I believe there is already a review of the earlier model on this forum, or simply go to the Bobby Jones Website for a demo video. Price is a little up there at around $200 after tax and shipping.

Oh, I've owned every model since the original BJ Hybrids. I have the current model, too.

Back to grips, I've tried a bunch, including the GP +4 (not bad, rough on hands), UTx wrap (sandpaper wrap) - not enough sandpaper wrap, Lamkin i-line - nice grip, 3GenAce - great grips (need a glove), even the Justin Rose less taper grip (must be cleaned and feels new); Pure Pro - too slick in the heat, need a glove, and several others - if you want some Winn Anniversary Dri Tacs on the cheap, let me know. They are sitting in their box.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

6 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Oh, I've owned every model since the original BJ Hybrids. I have the current model, too.

Back to grips, I've tried a bunch, including the GP +4 (not bad, rough on hands), UTx wrap (sandpaper wrap) - not enough sandpaper wrap, Lamkin i-line - nice grip, 3GenAce - great grips (need a glove), even the Justin Rose less taper grip (must be cleaned and feels new); Pure Pro - too slick in the heat, need a glove, and several others - if you want some Winn Anniversary Dri Tacs on the cheap, let me know. They are sitting in their box.

Keep me in mind please, I might consider that should I pull the trigger on some new Wishon Irons. How many do you have? What would you consider a fair price?  Thank You.

"James"

22 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I'm similar, I am right in between both standard and mid-size but prefer standard.  Beyond the hand print test, the text I prefer is how much my fingertips dig into the palm of my hand when I'm gripping the club.  I use that as a check when I address the ball to make sure my grip isn't too tight.  

Yea, that is one thing I struggle with ( grip pressure ) which was on of the reason I decided to move to mid size.

I think I will go with standard + an extra wrap of tape for my next set. 

14 minutes ago, Triggers said:

Yea, that is one thing I struggle with ( grip pressure ) which was on of the reason I decided to move to mid size.

I think I will go with standard + an extra wrap of tape for my next set. 

Another option is to use a grip with a smaller core diameter (made with thicker material to be standard size when mounted on a smaller diameter shaft).  Putting a 58 core grip on a .600 shaft will give you 0.02 in oversize, about the same as two additional wraps of tape.  Of course, not all grips are available in a variety of core diameters, so sometimes tape is the only answer.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Another option is to use a grip with a smaller core diameter (made with thicker material to be standard size when mounted on a smaller diameter shaft).  Putting a 58 core grip on a .600 shaft will give you 0.02 in oversize, about the same as two additional wraps of tape.  Of course, not all grips are available in a variety of core diameters, so sometimes tape is the only answer.  

Hmm, never really thought about the different core sizes. Nice tip though theoretically wouldn't that make the grip a bigger pain in the ass to put on? I've had mixed experiences when putting grips on... sometimes it easy, sometimes not so much. Though I haven't tried the air compressor method yet ( but now have the ability to )

Just now, Triggers said:

Hmm, never really thought about the different core sizes. Nice tip though theoretically wouldn't that make the grip a bigger pain in the ass to put on? I've had mixed experiences when putting grips on... sometimes it easy, sometimes not so much. Though I haven't tried the air compressor method yet ( but now have the ability to )

I used to do it all the time when I was using GP Tour Wrap grips, and never had a big problem.  My practice was always to use plenty of solvent, make sure the inside of the grip was well coated, and then drizzle it out through the hole in the butt end to thoroughly coat the grip tape too.  Now with the Iomic grips, they're only available in one size, so its a non-issue.  And after two years, the grips are still just fine :-)

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 10/27/2016 at 3:07 PM, Triggers said:

Air is definitely the way to go.  I regripped mine with 6 different tape layers, took them to the range and then decided what worked best.  Back to the bench to blow them off rewrap them to the ideal fit and with only the cost of tape and time, dialed my perfect grip in less than a days work.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:38 AM, DaveP043 said:

I use the Iomic X-Evolution grips, standard core size, with one extra wrap of tape.  The Iomic grips may be the most expensive out there, but they stay "tacky" basically forever.  Mine are now two years old on my irons, and still feel great.  In the rain, with proper rain gloves, I NEVER feel my grip slip.  Second choice, the Pure DTX grip I had installed last September in Phoenix.  So far, its holding up really well, and still have good feel and grip, even on wet days.  

Wow, this is kind of scary. I have Iomic grips on all of my irons and DTX grips on my Driver, 3 and 5 wood. I love them both.

I have been using using the GP Tour Velvet grips for a couple of years. I use standard size, I just like the feel of these grips. I just ordered a new set online from Paradise Golf Supply ,So I should be re-gripping next week!

Pure Midsize

I used to use the lampkin crossline midsize but after I got some Edel wedges with the Pure grips, they quickly became my favorite 

I like PURE DTX in standard size. I also like a full cord grip, but the PUREs are cheap and easy on install.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 1 month later...

Just re-gripped with Winn DriTac Midsized Wrap, the dark grey with blue end. Almost went jumbo but was afraid they be too bulky. Glad that I was able to feel them first.

After trying several at the PGA Super Store, I decided that I really prefer wraps to the multi-compound grips. 

After two rounds, I like them a lot.

Edited by Joey G

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

Note: This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!