IGNORED

Which wines do you prefer?

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Brunello is dynamite! 

I am partial to Italian wines, particularily ripassos. For the most part, I find American wines to be far too over the top. I was once given a sample of Menage a Trois and I almost vomited. Tasted like red wine mixed with jello powder. I have had some excellent Californian Pinots, but generally, I find they overdo the oak, at least to my tastes.

Can't go wrong with Argentinian Malbecs. Cheap and plentiful.

Every region/country has good and not-so good. For Pinot Noir, I like Oregon and Washington State better than CA. New Zealand is also very good for Pinot Noir. But the variability does make it more of a challenge. With certain grapes, you are expecting a certain flavor profile. When it's off, it is unexpected and can make the wine seem odd. Pinot Noir is the most variable. Not bad, but variable.

Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Australia, Spain, Portugal all have good wines too. Italy and France are great too, perhaps the best, but they are harder for the new wine drinker to decipher because they use the region and not grape variety on the label. So you have to know that what the predominant grape is for that region. 

This summer I explored Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc and found some really nice ones at a lower price point. 

Here's a little know trivia fact. Most all French grape vines have American roots. France has a blight and almost lost their entire industry. The only thing that saved it was graphting the French vines on American roots. So I guess we're all in this together!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Every region/country has good and not-so good. For Pinot Noir, I like Oregon and Washington State better than CA. New Zealand is also very good for Pinot Noir. But the variability does make it more of a challenge. With certain grapes, you are expecting a certain flavor profile. When it's off, it is unexpected and can make the wine seem odd. Pinot Noir is the most variable. Not bad, but variable.

Argentina, Chile, South Africa, Australia, Spain, Portugal all have good wines too. Italy and France are great too, perhaps the best, but they are harder for the new wine drinker to decipher because they use the region and not grape variety on the label. So you have to know that what the predominant grape is for that region. 

This summer I explored Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc and found some really nice ones at a lower price point. 

Here's a little know trivia fact. Most all French grape vines have American roots. France has a blight and almost lost their entire industry. The only thing that saved it was graphting the French vines on American roots. So I guess we're all in this together!

Agree about wide range of Pinot styles (plus the fact that it's a very temperamental grape). 

French wines aren't that hard to decipher, although it's true that you have to know what grapes are used in the region, but that can be learned fairly quickly. After you know that, a good rule of thumb is that the more specific the geograhical information is on the label the better the wine (generally speaking). That's simply because every region makes and sells lesser wines but the truly fantastic ones are the ones that advertise not only the region, but the specific terroir and house/chateau. The lesser wines will just generically say Bordeaux (for example).  

For intance Bordeaux<Gironde<Medoc<Haut-Medoc. Now some of that generic Bordeaux may have been made in Haut-Medoc but the end result is not good enough to carry the distinction of Haut-Medoc so it's just called Bordeaux or maybe Gironde and is probably only $15 instead of $40. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

2 hours ago, Ernest Jones said:

Agree about wide range of Pinot styles (plus the fact that it's a very temperamental grape). 

French wines aren't that hard to decipher, although it's true that you have to know what grapes are used in the region, but that can be learned fairly quickly. After you know that, a good rule of thumb is that the more specific the geograhical information is on the label the better the wine (generally speaking). That's simply because every region makes and sells lesser wines but the truly fantastic ones are the ones that advertise not only the region, but the specific terroir and house/chateau. The lesser wines will just generically say Bordeaux (for example).  

For intance Bordeaux<Gironde<Medoc<Haut-Medoc. Now some of that generic Bordeaux may have been made in Haut-Medoc but the end result is not good enough to carry the distinction of Haut-Medoc so it's just called Bordeaux or maybe Gironde and is probably only $15 instead of $40. 

All good point. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

I enjoy mostly reds. I live in Oregon and it is starting to be a strong wine region. I like Merlot, Cab's, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Franc, Tempranillo, there are others, but I guess you get the drift. There are a few white's I like, but am not really a fan of white wine. 

Wine is my preferred alcohol beverage by a long distance. I don't drink beer, but enjoy the occasional cider or some sort of drink (gin is a favorite among spirits). Red has always been what I've been drinking, but I have been trying more whites recently. They definitely fit some types of food better and I'm starting to get a liking to it.

As far as knowledge and tasting goes, I'm very much an amateur. I bought a wine I liked and started asking the shop assistants for suggestions on new bottles to try. Now and then I pick up something completely different to see if I like it or not. I don't want to contain myself to the wine I already know I like, but the shop assistants are also helpful in showing me other bottles. I've also downloaded Vivino on my phone, an app with a large database of wines over the entire world, where you can store bottles you've bought, rate and comment them, as well as looking at other people's ratings. I got it primarily to create a database over wines I've tasted and how I liked them. If it was something I'd like to buy again, my rating and comments will show me. Wines I didn't like will also be rated, so I'll probably avoid them in the future.

In Norway, we have a special set of laws when it comes to alcohol. All alcohol with a percentage over 4.75% is sold by Vinmonopolet, which translates to The Wine Monopoly. This means that grocery stores and any other store is not allowed to sell beverages with alcohol levels over 4.75% (not including restaurants, bars, nightclubs etc). The Wine Monopoly owns over 300 stores all across Norway and is entirely owned by the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Health and Care Services.

Alcohol is also quite heavily taxed in Norway, making it expensive, but the wine monopolies has got products in a wide price range and they want to make it available for everyone. One advantage to this is quality. They've got over 16 000 products in their selection (most of which has to be ordered) and they constantly introduce new products both in the total selection and into the stores. I mentioned the shop assistants above, and they don't just sell alcohol, they are trained in the profession and are very knowledgeable about the products and alcohol in general. If you name a bottle you like, they'll help you find something else you might like.

The selection at the wine monopoly is dominated by wine from Italy and France, but they got something from all over the world. My favorites do come from Italy or France, but there are great wines from many places. This evening we had a white from Germany that was really good. I'll never go wrong with a Valpolicella Ripasso, which was also the first wine I drank and actually enjoyed. An Amarone is more expensive, but also very good. Most recently I've started buying wines from Châteauneuf-du-Pape in France on recommendations from a friend, and it was an instant hit.

I might go to tastings or wine courses at some point to learn more and maybe be able to enjoy wine more or differently. For now I'm satisfied with enjoying these wonderful drops and expanding my horizon.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

8 minutes ago, Zeph said:

Wine is my preferred alcohol beverage by a long distance. I don't drink beer, but enjoy the occasional cider or some sort of drink (gin is a favorite among spirits). Red has always been what I've been drinking, but I have been trying more whites recently. They definitely fit some types of food better and I'm starting to get a liking to it.

As far as knowledge and tasting goes, I'm very much an amateur. I bought a wine I liked and started asking the shop assistants for suggestions on new bottles to try. Now and then I pick up something completely different to see if I like it or not. I don't want to contain myself to the wine I already know I like, but the shop assistants are also helpful in showing me other bottles. I've also downloaded Vivino on my phone, an app with a large database of wines over the entire world, where you can store bottles you've bought, rate and comment them, as well as looking at other people's ratings. I got it primarily to create a database over wines I've tasted and how I liked them. If it was something I'd like to buy again, my rating and comments will show me. Wines I didn't like will also be rated, so I'll probably avoid them in the future.

In Norway, we have a special set of laws when it comes to alcohol. All alcohol with a percentage over 4.75% is sold by Vinmonopolet, which translates to The Wine Monopoly. This means that grocery stores and any other store is not allowed to sell beverages with alcohol levels over 4.75% (not including restaurants, bars, nightclubs etc). The Wine Monopoly owns over 300 stores all across Norway and is entirely owned by the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Health and Care Services.

Alcohol is also quite heavily taxed in Norway, making it expensive, but the wine monopolies has got products in a wide price range and they want to make it available for everyone. One advantage to this is quality. They've got over 16 000 products in their selection (most of which has to be ordered) and they constantly introduce new products both in the total selection and into the stores. I mentioned the shop assistants above, and they don't just sell alcohol, they are trained in the profession and are very knowledgeable about the products and alcohol in general. If you name a bottle you like, they'll help you find something else you might like.

The selection at the wine monopoly is dominated by wine from Italy and France, but they got something from all over the world. My favorites do come from Italy or France, but there are great wines from many places. This evening we had a white from Germany that was really good. I'll never go wrong with a Valpolicella Ripasso, which was also the first wine I drank and actually enjoyed. An Amarone is more expensive, but also very good. Most recently I've started buying wines from Châteauneuf-du-Pape in France on recommendations from a friend, and it was an instant hit.

I might go to tastings or wine courses at some point to learn more and maybe be able to enjoy wine more or differently. For now I'm satisfied with enjoying these wonderful drops and expanding my horizon.

Amarone is truly awesome. It gets its incredible body from semi-drying the grapes before making the wine. Freakin' awesome, but not cheap! Gotta have it with a meal that can stand up to it as it's almost a Porto like taste.  

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

5 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Amarone is truly awesome. It gets its incredible body from semi-drying the grapes before making the wine. Freakin' awesome, but not cheap! Gotta have it with a meal that can stand up to it as it's almost a Porto like taste.  

In the beginning I often drank wine without a meal (and I still do), but as I tasted more, I realized how important a meal can be to a wine and how both brings out more taste from the other. I've had wines to meals that were amazing, but when trying them again at a later time with a different meal or without food, they weren't as spectacular. The entire setting is also something that can enhance and change how flavors are perceived. A wine, and meal, can taste better and overall be more enjoyable in a restaurant than at home, simply because of the setting. There is a lot to be said about how many factors contribute to the total experience.

I've always enjoyed wines with a large body, and the Amarone really shines when accompanied by a good meal. I'm a sucker for a great steak myself.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

6 minutes ago, Zeph said:

In the beginning I often drank wine without a meal (and I still do), but as I tasted more, I realized how important a meal can be to a wine and how both brings out more taste from the other. I've had wines to meals that were amazing, but when trying them again at a later time with a different meal or without food, they weren't as spectacular. The entire setting is also something that can enhance and change how flavors are perceived. A wine, and meal, can taste better and overall be more enjoyable in a restaurant than at home, simply because of the setting. There is a lot to be said about how many factors contribute to the total experience.

I've always enjoyed wines with a large body, and the Amarone really shines when accompanied by a good meal. I'm a sucker for a great steak myself.

Very true. I have had spectacular wines ruined because the meal clashed with it. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Not much of a drinker, but just so happened to knock out this bottle of Barefoot Moscato at my in-laws. Pretty smooth and tasty.

14 hours ago, Zeph said:

I also use the Vivino app. It is helpful. One shop in my area will help track the varietals you try as well and the staff is very knowledgeable. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Napa Cab's are my drink of choice for wines.  I like big and bold red wines.  

I do like one Pinot really well- Belle Glos, best full-bodied pinot, imo.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I prefer Cabernet Sauvignon, years 2012-2013 from California are particularly good. 

I do like some white wines. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Love my wine from the languedoc-roussillon in France, pretty much any year is good from down there. I prefer the sweeter end of the spectrum but occasionally a sharper wine when eating with a rich meal is fine. If its white for me it has to be sweet else I just dont find it palatable,

Outside of french reds I'll occasionally venture to the Spanish Rioja region, I find these pair easily with more food dishes than the French wine which can be quite specific with what eats well with it.

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Worked in liquor stores in college, and wine during law school. Went to Napa/Sonoma every other year for about 25 yrs since 1982; then to avoid the crowds, went North and West through Russian River and North, then on the way to Mendocino. Traveled around France for 5 months, Loire Valley, and then Beaune for Gamay and Pinot Noir. Didn't get to Bordeaux. As I grow older, I drink less, and tend to go for what I may really like rather than what I probably will not like - fruit bombs, thin fruit, less complexity, etc.

I advise drinking a lot and different varietals at different price ranges to find what you like. THe most expensive is not always to your taste. In fact, starting out, you may not appreciate more expensive wines, and they are not usually worth the price. Some are, but I do not buy them - I go to wine dinners to taste better wines that are paired for you. Usually, it's good value. You are able to drink 5-6 wines that you would not usually purchase.

While I like most varietals, I tend to gear towards reds. Meomi Pinot Noir was mentioned above - of the previous 2 bottles I've brought to Turkey day dinner, nice value that shows good substantial fruit for $20 or less - better than some at $40+. I like Oregon PN, but I tend to gravitate towards Syrah and Cab/Blends. Try an Estancia Meritage for $25 or less - it's usually popular. I also enjoy Italian but tend to stay on the inexpensive side - Ripasso, Chianti, and others - just not that familiar with them. French - I tend to stay low end - mourdevre, grenache - Cotes due Rhone. For California, I tend to remaini in the $20-30 for Cabs and Syrah - you can find good value. I also enjoy Spanish wines - Grenache and Tempranillo - Riojas  are usually a blend. I go for the mid-line Riojas in $15-25. I was once a Zin freak - but the high alcohol styles that are in vogue in Zin have turned me off for 10 years. I will look at a Cab or Merlot with Cab blend, or a Meritage, but Syrahs are a favorite. I don't go for the fruit bombs with the kitchen sink thrown in - Zin, Syrah, Merlot, Mourvedre, etc blend - they are playful but not interesting. CA Sangiovese is light strawberry-ish in a bottle - very likeable.

Difference between French and  California in general - France will show less fruit, more soil; California will show more fruit upfront, although I've noticed French reaching for more fruit.

Drink, discover, spit, enjoy.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On November 19, 2016 at 5:38 PM, Zeph said:

Very true. I have had spectacular wines ruined because the meal clashed with it.

9 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Napa Cab's are my drink of choice for wines.  I like big and bold red wines.  

I do like one Pinot really well- Belle Glos, best full-bodied pinot, imo.

Yeah, Belle Glos makes really good wines. Clark & Telephone was fantastic. My sister is a sommelier so I always get to sample outrageously good wines whenever I visit! She's super fun to go to the liquor store with too, because the clerks basically drop whatever they're doing and bring us in the back to sample all their best new arrivals. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

2 hours ago, carpediem4300 said:

Love my wine from the languedoc-roussillon in France, pretty much any year is good from down there. I prefer the sweeter end of the spectrum but occasionally a sharper wine when eating with a rich meal is fine. If its white for me it has to be sweet else I just dont find it palatable,

Outside of french reds I'll occasionally venture to the Spanish Rioja region, I find these pair easily with more food dishes than the French wine which can be quite specific with what eats well with it.

That is a good region. It was kind of 'undiscovered country' up until a few years ago when they started exporting more to the US so we could try them. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

26 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Yeah, Belle Glos makes really good wines. Clark & Telephone was fantastic. My sister is a sommelier so I always get to sample outrageously good wines whenever I visit! She's super fun to go to the liquor store with too, because the clerks basically drop whatever they're doing and bring us in the back to sample all their best new arrivals. 

Nice.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Ortas from Cote du Rhone is another of my faves. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 2668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!