IGNORED

Just Finished My Backyard Putting Green!

MattM
Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've been absent from The Sand Trap for awhile.  Love this site, but since security issues at work made it so I can't visit during my lunches it's been hard for me to find the time to post on here.  

I definitely wanted to take the time to post my backyard putting green that I just did.  I will also include links to the items I purchased as well as provide some background info to anyone who would like the information.  

Anyway.  On to the backyard install.  So my backyard started out like this:

FullSizeRender_4.jpgFullSizeRender_5.jpg

While my backyard looked really good initially after I bought my house those flowers in back were unfortunately "Tiger Lilys."  Those things just take over everything like weeds!  That said, we had to dig up all of those flowers because they were over growing.  That left us with basically a mud patch back there.  It looked horrible and weeds kept sprouting up anyway, so I was able to talk my fiancee into allowing me to buy an artificial putting green and fringe!  

Had to dig up the back area to level the ground as best as possible:

1014161529a.jpg

My buddy with the plate compactor:

1014161529.jpg

After that was done we had to put the sub-base down.  Sub-base was gravel mixed with paver sub-base.  Used approx. 2lbs per square foot.  

A look after the sub-base was done:

1014162004.jpg

And the 9x15 putting green installed:

1015161828.jpg

Cups installed:

ATT_1479445457296_1018160720.jpg

Edited by MattM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So...Not done there.  I wanted to add the fringe and one AWESOME extra:

Starting the addition (digging the hole and trench:

1028161818.jpg

Adding the gravel into the drainage trench:

1030161721.jpg

Lining the bottom with weed barrier:

1030161734.jpg

Adding Sand:

1030161815b.jpg

ATT_1479446729308_1113161520.jpg

Finally, adding fringe:

ATT_1479446729308_1113161520.jpgATT_1479446729406_1113161520a.jpg

And Finished:

ATT_1479446729465_1113161605.jpg

I think it came out nicely!  I'm definately happy with the finished product!  Wound up costing me around $1200 total.  Of course that's with my friends and me doing all off the work.  

If anyone has any questions please let me know!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Nice work @MattM!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Hard to tell but it looks a little tight in there to be making sand shots. How big is the area? Otherwise, nice work.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Nice job Matt.  Looks great and I am sure you will have a lot of fun with that.

Awesome pic by Woodzie. Ain't that the truth!!!  :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Great job.  :beer:

I want to know what's behind that fence too!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Very cool!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Great Job!  and it will be even nicer after it gets worn in a bit, by that I mean more definition around the lip of the bunker e.t.c. Can you get a good "feel" from the fringe?  Looks a little "loose" on the pile, but that also should improve with foot traffic, or maybe stretching a bit. I can certainly appreciate all the hard work that went into it. Mine was 15 x 45 and in one piece. Very heavy and I did not have any help. I do not have any sand traps what-so-ever so all I can do is practice 45 yard pitches, and full swings into a cage. I do have a mat covered slab for putting, but its a bit hard and fast.  Again  much Kudos!

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Hey thanks for all of the nice comments guys!  To answer a few questions.... There are tall pine trees on the other side of the fence and then a neighbors house. The sand trap WAS too small initially because I had too much downslope on the front of the trap.  I just smoothed that downslope out and my sand wedge makes it through nicely on my downswing.  

I put it so close because I think it will help me with control.  The challenge is not to give up through the shot and keep enough speed the pop the ball up, but not too much to kill the old lady on the other side of the fence! LOL!!!!

Below is a pic of the green/trap area from my back door.  I'll be adding fringe on the other side of the green this spring.  P.S. sorry for the clutter I haven't cleaned everything up yet.  The big red bricks are what used to be a chimney/higher backed fire pit.

IMG_27971.jpg

I pinned down the edges of the green/fringe, but I still have to pin the fringe from the inside out as well.  I used landscape staples to pin down.

18 minutes ago, MattM said:

Hey thanks for all of the nice comments guys!  To answer a few questions.... There are tall pine trees on the other side of the fence and then a neighbors house. The sand trap WAS too small initially because I had too much downslope on the front of the trap.  I just smoothed that downslope out and my sand wedge makes it through nicely on my downswing.  

I put it so close because I think it will help me with control.  The challenge is not to give up through the shot and keep enough speed the pop the ball up, but not too much to kill the old lady on the other side of the fence! LOL!!!!

reminds me of recent round with my daughter. She was in the bunker, fairly high lip. I explained how she should set up, aim a little left, negative forward shaft lean and take a full swing. She did so and cleared the trap, but also cleared the green by about 40 yards! She said "Well, you told me to take a full swing!"  Yes, I replied, but you were supposed to take a little sand too. (I did forget to mention to open the club face however.).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

there is a product called "wonder edge" I believe. It is an edging that the turf tucks into, fastened by large nails (spikes) every 3 inches or so. It puts a nice finishing touch on the edges as well as protecting them from fraying. It is very low profile as compared with traditional lawn edging. Lawn staples work great, and if you drive them in at angle and pull straight, it will help stretch it. Not only on the edges, but every 4 foot in the center.

"James"

Note: This thread is 1059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!