IGNORED

Winter golf: when you hit a frozen green

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not a green in regulation. And then you have to putt on it. Bleh.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Been there- bounces off like concrete....and also skipped the ball across a frozen pond onto the green for a GIR

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Learned to play frozen greens about twenty years ago. You have to miss the green and hope it just gets on when it rolls up to it. It beats staying home and being a couch potato. Once you accept the fact that you have to come up short and just play that way it becomes more fun. 

12 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Been there- bounces off like concrete....and also skipped the ball across a frozen pond onto the green for a GIR

Meant.jpg

Frozen greens are tough. I've played them a few times..

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

13 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Not a green in regulation. And then you have to putt on it. Bleh.

LOL. Honestly, and hand on heart, I played an identical shot to that on a frozen green last Wednesday. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

8 hours ago, CCC said:

You are not allowed on any golf course when the greens are frozen - where I live.

If they are frozen in Durham, they are tundra in Mass! In actuality, only a few course will stay open up here once the ground freezes. Most of the courses close up this weekend. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

Once we freeze, we can open, but somewhere in between frost and thawing is a big no no.  I've played a lot on frozen courses, it's kind of fun actually.  Plays similarly to summer when it gets super dry and hardpan.    A 270yd drive in wet cold turns to 350yd in frozen cold, haha!

On 12/2/2016 at 4:01 PM, woodzie264 said:

The ball bouncing off a frozen pond sounds funny.  It always startles me a bit.

A friend of mine told me a story of when he played with a buddy of his.  The ball stopped on the pond just a few feet from the edge.  He walked out and hit his ball, then immediately fell through to his knees! That would suck so much!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I have played a few times when it's that cold out.  A ball bouncing off a frozen green is similar to when it hits the cart path.  Funny!  You have to adjust and come up short like others have mentioned.

I have see one bounce off frozen water back into the fairway and even better, I skimmed one across a pond in the summer, three hops and back on the course.  Pretty funny shot and better that hitting 3 from the Tee!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

On 12/2/2016 at 7:01 PM, woodzie264 said:

Lol this is too awesome. I would have bought a round for my group for this one haha!

I have never experienced "frozen" golf. In NC the courses just close those few weeks that things are frozen. Although, I think it would be kind of fun to play in those conditions at least once. So long as I go in with the mindset that "things are going to be vastly different, and your score is going to blow donkey chunks" but just have a good time of it :)

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Played a frozen course yesterday - it was funny, you cant stop a ball on a green and the bunkers were like ice skating rinks - I am still plugging away as I figure it can only be helping my game, if i can play on that I can play on anything, right? 

In my bag: 
Irons: TaylorMade M2,  Woods: TaylorMade M2 5 Wood , Driver: TaylorMade Aero Burner mini driver  Hybrid: Some crappy Wilson 4H Putter: Some crappy Wilson HDX putter. 

You will notice that my set is heavy on the super game improvement kit, I am still awaiting the super game improvement that was promised. 

• 3 months later...
14 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I shot this two years ago.

I've played a few times with frozen greens. The hard part was figuring where to land the ball short of the green because that area was frozen too!

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I've played a few times with frozen greens. The hard part was figuring where to land the ball short of the green because that area was frozen too!

Exactly right.  I generally won't play when the ground is frozen as it alters the game too much.

Brian Kuehn

Just now, bkuehn1952 said:

Exactly right.  I generally won't play when the ground is frozen as it alters the game too much.

You must have played on days where the greens in the sun were fine, but in the shade were frozen. That is when it is most comical. You're playing fine then hit the first frozen green. Nice approach shot then, PING PONG! Off the back into the woods!

Scott

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2568 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!