IGNORED

Unpopular opinions you have about golf?

StefanUrkel
Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

People fret about golf's decline too much. I only feel this way because as a whole, sports participation and following is decreasing as a whole. The overall sports pie is shrinking, and I guess you could be worried about the slice of the declining sports pie golf occupies.  The sport is not alone in a vacuum regarding this issue.

Not sure if unpopular, but I bet most people think golf is too rule-y.

Other than that, carts suck.

Edited by cutchemist42
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/6/2016 at 0:26 PM, phillyk said:

This comes from being in the golf business. I hate golfnow and other 3rd party websites that offer discounted or free golf.  The point when their reps come here is that it markets the course and gets people to come out and buy your product.  99% of the golfers who used golfnow at our course bought nothing.  No beverages, golf balls, food, nothing, so it's not at all worth it.  And they don't come unless its through one of those sites.  I'd rather sell that 9:30 tee time to someone else.

This is an underrated post. The golf courses I see using golfnow are the ones that are going out of business, it seems to be a last ditch effort for many of them to increase revenue. I am sure it works well for some, but when I see one of my favorite courses pop up on GN I start to get concerned, and quite often they begin showing signs of decline. 

So, my unpopular opinions are:

1) I don't like GolfNow. 

2) Quality courses should keep low margin sales out. 

- Mark

I have two

1) there are far to many rules in golf

2) I find golf to be the worst televised sport in the world. Man hits ball, ball disappears whilst camera man films the sky, ball lands on fairway. And then the putting. Man putts from 6", how bloody exiting 

• Upvote 1

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

7 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

2) I find golf to be the worst televised sport in the world. Man hits ball, ball disappears whilst camera man films the sky, ball lands on fairway. And then the putting. Man putts from 6", how bloody exiting 

You watch the coverage of some of the lower-tier tournaments and you'll appreciate the work the big networks do for the top pros. Bored out of my mind, I caught a Nationwide Tour event one afternoon. They struggled to follow the balls flight and lost more than a few.

Scotty Cameron putters are overrated.

Bent grass greens are overrated.

Tiger Woods doesn't and never has had the chipping/pitching yips.

Phil Mickelson is a great ball striker.

Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals book is not a good book to read if you want to get better at golf.

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

26 minutes ago, Marigold_Sparkle said:

Anal retentive adherence to rigid orthodoxy is the number one distance killer.

Anal retentive adherence to rigid orthodoxy leading to distance is a popular idea? :-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

13 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Anal retentive adherence to rigid orthodoxy leading to distance is a popular idea? :-)

13 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Not that I know of.

While  watching golf played at Augusta and at St Andrews, American announcers generally try to convey a cathedral  sense of awe and wonder.  Making these pieces of property hallowed makes the other courses work too hard and spend too much money to give golfer the feeling conveyed.  Play golf at a muni in August in 100deg f and you get a sense of real golf.  Play golf in a cool rain and wind and know you are historically playing a game for all time.

• Upvote 2

On 12/4/2016 at 4:22 PM, ScouseJohnny said:

2./ I can hit a draw or a fade in defiance of the "new" ball flight laws. Pros taught that way for years, it worked, golfers just didn't fully comprehend how they were doing what they were doing. What the young Assistant Pro in the bad check pants taught me all those years ago still actually works. The "new" explanation of the physics may be accurate, that doesn't mean the "old" instruction was entirely wrong.

As long as we procreate, our survival as a species is assured. It doesn't matter how far off our grasp in reality is. If it landed on/on/in the fairway/green/hole, that's good.

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

Scotty Cameron putters are overrated.

Bent grass greens are overrated.

Tiger Woods doesn't and never has had the chipping/pitching yips.

Phil Mickelson is a great ball striker.

Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals book is not a good book to read if you want to get better at golf.

Who in the world has said that about Mickelson?

10 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

You watch the coverage of some of the lower-tier tournaments and you'll appreciate the work the big networks do for the top pros. Bored out of my mind, I caught a Nationwide Tour event one afternoon. They struggled to follow the balls flight and lost more than a few.

TV crews have their Pro level performers too!

Mine: Joe Buck doesn't know squat about golf (or any other sport he covers for that matter).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Mine: Joe Buck doesn't know squat about golf (or any other sport he covers for that matter).

Not unpopular as far as I'm concerned. He's one of my least favorite commentators out there.

Brown grass is fine by me, as long as it plays similar to normal grass. Especially if it saves water, good for the environment. Augusta is overkill and in a way, looks unnatural.

• Upvote 5

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Swing with a smooth tempo (ok I'm trying to avoid saying "just swing easy & hit center club face" but that's the gist of it) & keep it in the fairway.     I find young guys generally hate to hear that ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

The only one I have at this moment is:

Noise on a golf course has never once bothered me and it's affect on an individual's swing is highly overrated.

Driver - Cleveland CG Black 265
Fairway Wood - Adams Tight Lies 16 Degrees
Hybrids - 18 and 20 Degrees Adams Pro
Irons - 4-PW Adams XTD
Wedges - 52 and 56 degree Cleavland CG16

Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!