IGNORED

Putting Grip Poll - Finger Down the Shaft?

Vinny Cap
Note: This thread is 2668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Putting Grip Poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you putt with a finger pointed down the shaft?

• Yes
    • No
    • I use to
    • Other

Not only it looks awful, but I can't imagine how it would help, so my answer is "hell, no!". :-)

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My index finger on my left hand goes straight down the grip.  I dont know why--it just feel natural, but by the comments in this thread I'm guessing that it isnt a good thing to do.  Any particular reasons why?

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

5 minutes ago, InTheRough said:

My index finger on my left hand goes straight down the grip.  I dont know why--it just feel natural, but by the comments in this thread I'm guessing that it isnt a good thing to do.  Any particular reasons why?

Do you putt left hand low (or lefty)? Otherwise, how does your left index finger ends up on the shaft? In my view, no fingers or part of the hands, especially the right hand (or index finger) should be touching the steel part of the shaft because it is too narrow to hold and stir the club with it properly. That's what the grip is for. If the putter is too long for a particular stance and the hands end up on the steel, one would need a shorter putter. FWIW, I don't use a standard size 35" putter: mine is 34", but I could work with 33" as well.

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I use a double-interlock putting grip. Used to be left-hand low, but since I got the thicker grips I went back to normal hand position.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

19 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Do you putt left hand low (or lefty)? Otherwise, how does your left index finger ends up on the shaft? In my view, no fingers or part of the hands, especially the right hand (or index finger) should be touching the steel part of the shaft because it is too narrow to hold and stir the club with it properly. That's what the grip is for. If the putter is too long for a particular stance and the hands end up on the steel, one would need a shorter putter. FWIW, I don't use a standard size 35" putter: mine is 34", but I could work with 33" as well.

Maybe I misread the topic--I read it as do you point your finger down (but not necessarily touching the steel).  I putt right hand low (righty) and while my left index finger used to get to the steel I no longer grip down that far and use a flatso 3.0 grip so it would be awkward to hang it off the end of the putter.

What's in the bag:
Taylormade R15 
Callaway X2Hot pro 3W
Callaway X2Hot pro 20* hybrid
Mizuno JPX900 Tour 4-PW
Cleveland RTX 2.0 50,54, and 58 degree wedges
Taylormade White Smoke putter

4 hours ago, Club Rat said:

I place my index finger down. It's the style I started with years ago and never changed, except once I experimented with Left Hand Low a long time ago.

I'm guessing, the finger pressure (feel) on long putts is subconscious related to distance control.
Never ever thought about it, it's just the grip style I have used for many years.

I see several older guys and gals using the finger down the grip, but seldom see younger players do it.
Didn't several of the older tour players also place their finger down the grip many beers ago?

I voted no but if I had as many beers as those old tour players I might give it a try.

1 hour ago, InTheRough said:

Restricts a pendulum swing.  Tuck the finger and give it a whirl.  I bet u hit it long first couple of rolls.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I did for a few years but the putter face tended to open slightly and I was missing right.  I went to a more conventional putter grip but with my right hand in a weak position but all fingers on my right hand wrapped around the grip.

11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

I use a double-interlock putting grip. Used to be left-hand low, but since I got the thicker grips I went back to normal hand position.

Yes, this is what I do, not a double overlap as I mentioned earlier.  Furyk does it with all his clubs but I only do it with my putter.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator

Yes, this is what I do, not a double overlap as I mentioned earlier.  Furyk does it with all his clubs but I only do it with my putter.

You put your right hand over your left?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Recently I have been gripping it pretty conventionally.  Thumbs down the handle and an overlap.  I use interlock with my other clubs but it for some reason I don't seem to have as much control of the putter face when I interlock.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

You put your right hand over your left?

Yes, right hand low.  I use a single interlock on my other clubs (left index between right pinkie and right 3rd) and a double interlock on the putter (left index between 3rd and middle).  Is that not a double interlock?

Might be OT. If so, my apologies. I just remembered this grip.  

There use to be a grip used by some very "old timers" where they used a 10 finger grip. Some used other grip variations.  The difference was that each hand was turned outward, away from each other, as much as possible. 

What this did (allegedly) was put the hands at extreme opposition to each other, which did not allow for one hand, or the other, to open or close the putter face. Neither hand could over power the other.  With this grip, all the golfer needed to do was make sure the ball placement, in relation the golfer's stance, and sroke, was correct, so that the putter face would contact the ball at a precise right angle. 

I actually tried this grip back in the early 70s. It did seem to work, but I also found it to be too uncomfortable, so I moved on to something else. Thinking about it now, I might revisit it again some day. 

Years later I read an article some where where this grip reimerged to be used to help with the "putting yips" due to opposing hands. :hmm:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Gunther said:

Yes, right hand low.  I use a single interlock on my other clubs (left index between right pinkie and right 3rd) and a double interlock on the putter (left index between 3rd and middle).  Is that not a double interlock?

Most putters put their left hand over their right. Hence "reverse" double overlap.

That's all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I know many people that do, and perhaps I should give it a go myself. The fact is I find golf so difficult one grip is enough for me to think about

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Most putters put their left hand over their right. Hence "reverse" double overlap.

That's all.

Aha.  No, could never adjust to that although I've tried it.  You'd think because I'm a southpaw, that would be kinda comfortable for me, especially cuz I used to switch-hit in baseball, but no, I'm strictly a righty golfer and left over right feels odd.  I know a number of folks who do it, none better putters than I.  

Note: This thread is 2668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!