IGNORED

Putting Grip Poll - Finger Down the Shaft?

Vinny Cap
Note: This thread is 2696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Putting Grip Poll  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you putt with a finger pointed down the shaft?

• Yes
    • No
    • I use to
    • Other

This came up in a different thread so lets see if you do putt with a finger pointed down the shaft, if you did putt with a finger down the shaft or you use a different grip all together.

If you select other, you can tell us your grip style.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use to, but for me it inhibited my distance control by locking up my wrists too much. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I do put my right index finger down the grip because of habit.   I don't know if it's right or wrong for me, I just do.   I believe I started when I was trying to control a pushed putt.  I've see better golfers putt w/o a finger down the shaft but actually I've never tried it.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• iacas changed the title to Putting Grip Poll - Finger Down the Shaft?
  • Administrator

Ugh. No. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I didn't choose "Other", I choose "I used to", but I can still tell you what I grip I use today. I use the reverse overlap. I also sometimes use reverse overlap on really short pitches.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Also in the "used to" category.  Just tried not doing it a year or two ago and it was comfortable, so I stopped.  Also, I have used the reverse overlap grip for as long as I can remember.

Yes. But I'm not a good putter. 

My feeling is that the extended finger prevents me from flipping my wrists into the ball and sets me up for better distance control by "quieting movement." However, I just suck. Or maybe it's not how I imagine. I dunno. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I have right hand low, and my left hand has pointer finger down shaft but it is barely touching the grip.  I used to do the opposite but I pushed with that finger and caused bad push/pulls when under pressure to make a putt.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I use to, but stopped about two years ago after a few putting lessons.  My instructor had a reaction similar to @iacas when he saw me do it. 

Joe Paradiso

I find the best way to putt is to just let it swing, and an extended finger seems to interfer with that. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I do not and never have tried it.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

I voted no. I want to avoid anything that could cause me to over-control or twist the putter . 

I use one of those "Flatso" grips and I just keep the corners in my lifelines with fairly light pressure and putt from the shoulders. Before that I used an interlock grip and a "trigger finger", kind of like on a full swing. That was ugly but it worked too. I've always been a pretty good putter, probably because I enjoy it & practice it a lot.

Edited by Kalnoky

Double overlap, like Furyk does with his regular clubs.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I place my index finger down. It's the style I started with years ago and never changed, except once I experimented with Left Hand Low a long time ago.

I'm guessing, the finger pressure (feel) on long putts is subconscious related to distance control.
Never ever thought about it, it's just the grip style I have used for many years.

I see several older guys and gals using the finger down the grip, but seldom see younger players do it.
Didn't several of the older tour players also place their finger down the grip many beers ago?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

I use to, but stopped about two years ago after a few putting lessons.  My instructor had a reaction similar to @iacas when he saw me do it. 

Ha . .me, too.  Same same.  

Tried it once or twice but never liked it. I grip as described by Stan Utley in his The Art of Putting. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!