IGNORED

Becoming a Pro - Career Progression

Golfingaddiction
Note: This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

The thread is also only two days old.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is kind of food for thought, but hypothetically here's what a post from a pro could look like. . .

"I'm tall for a lady at 6'2" and 160 pounds and can drive 300 yards and farther sometimes. My putting is unorthodox, but somewhat effective. Do you think I'd make a decent Lady Golfing Pro?"- Michelle Wie.

OTOH, All these threads sound like this to me. . .

"I'm a freshman at MIT majoring in Applied Physics, and have an IQ of over 180 and had 6 inventions in the medical industry to my name by the time I was 17 years old. I'm hoping to win the Nobel Prize someday. Could you give me some advice? Please? What great projects should I work on to get me there?"

:-D

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I didn't know this was a thing, I just looked at some old "I want to be a pro" threads linked by another poster and I am literally in tears laughing. I don't get it! Golf is all about honesty and beating yourself, why are there so many of these people boasting about imaginary achievements to people they will probably never meet? 

I started this year and I have never broken 100 and I shot 104 on a par 54 course last week, after I had a beer in celebration, it wasn't the best score I have had on that course (that was 93) but I hit some great shots and could feel real improvement in my technique, I played better than the 93 I recorded before, on that round the weather was better (frozen greens this time around). That is what golf is about, at least it is to me! What is the motivation behind all of those threads? I find it really random.  

• Upvote 2

In my bag: 
Irons: TaylorMade M2,  Woods: TaylorMade M2 5 Wood , Driver: TaylorMade Aero Burner mini driver  Hybrid: Some crappy Wilson 4H Putter: Some crappy Wilson HDX putter. 

You will notice that my set is heavy on the super game improvement kit, I am still awaiting the super game improvement that was promised. 

1 hour ago, RussUK said:

Well, he is either:

A) As some have said, making it all up

B) Too busy playing on tour to log in and let us mere mortals know

C) Abducted by aliens.

D) At a really nice pub.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

47 minutes ago, BristolGolf said:

I didn't know this was a thing, I just looked at some old "I want to be a pro" threads linked by another poster and I am literally in tears laughing. I don't get it! Golf is all about honesty and beating yourself, why are there so many of these people boasting about imaginary achievements to people they will probably never meet?

It happens in other forums, too.   I think it is a part of human nature.  I know one thing.   None of these OPs came back and posted that they made it.  

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

C) Abducted by aliens.

D) At a really nice pub.

Im going with "C". Not sure if aliens have compatible Wi-Fi :-P

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

2 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

It happens in other forums, too.   I think it is a part of human nature.  I know one thing.   None of these OPs came back and posted that they made it.  

Well in defense of the title of the thread, he just says pro.  Not playing pro on a specific tour.  He can just claim himself a pro and play in a state open and win a few bucks and claim success.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

@david_wedzik turned pro as a high single digit handicapper. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, phillyk said:

Well in defense of the title of the thread, he just says pro.  Not playing pro on a specific tour.  He can just claim himself a pro and play in a state open and win a few bucks and claim success.

True. 

I will start my own I will be a pro someday thread :-D.  If you can't beat it, join it :beer:.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Just now, iacas said:

@david_wedzik turned pro as a high single digit handicapper. ;-)

Am i correct in thinking there is no "official" hcp limit to turn pro, but the general guidline is low singles? I sure i've heard players with hcp of 4 turning pro.

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

12 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

Yeah, human nature. Without posts like that there's less humor, though. I enjoy reading many of the responses just like @BristolGolf.

I'm lurking in a few shooting sites, and have run into a few interesting goodies like: "I shoot 1/4 MOA groups with an M1A", and see responses like "My BS meter is pegged :bugout:", or other ones like "Give that rifle to the Smithsonian, it's got magical powers.", etc. For reference, my 5 round groups with an M14 are a hair over 2.5 MOA with circa 1950s iron sites at 100 yards. (Wait for it. . .) :-D Actually, on a good day, they are. On a bad day with cheap ammo I'm pretty much lucky to hit paper.

5 minutes ago, RussUK said:

Am i correct in thinking there is no "official" hcp limit to turn pro, but the general guidline is low singles? I sure i've heard players with hcp of 4 turning pro.

Not sure, but PAT test is shooting about the 2-4 HC range. A lucky 4 could pass the PAT while even a bad day for scratch would easily pass. So, he could pay up $20,000 and become a PGA certified instructor.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

2 minutes ago, phillyk said:

He actually says he thinks he can make money playing golf.  Its one thing to turn pro and enter events that pay money, its a completely different thing to come out ahead after paying all the expenses.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Just now, RussUK said:

You can be a 20 and claim to be a pro.  The guideline/playing ability hits when you try to join an organization like the PGA.

Just now, DaveP043 said:

He actually says he thinks he can make money playing golf.  Its one thing to turn pro and enter events that pay money, its a completely different thing to come out ahead after paying all the expenses.

True.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

4 minutes ago, phillyk said:

You can be a 20 and claim to be a pro.  The guideline/playing ability hits when you try to join an organization like the PGA.

What about 23 hcp, or would I...i mean "they" be pushing it a bit :-D

10 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

True. 

I will start my own I will be a pro someday thread :-D.  If you can't beat it, join it :beer:.

No need to wait!

http://www.bogeygolftour.com/

Seriously, you'd probably do pretty good given your handicap and putting skills!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

noteworthy that OP has not responded to a single comment. The thing that jumped out at me was the similarity to past posts from "Willy" the orange farmer, and PKTD from other forum. Has anyone checked his IP address and verified if he is even from Montana? Kind of hard to give benefit of the doubt without responses.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

These threads.... I always think there is some troll sitting there smugly, laughing about how all the regulars of this website are discussing their forum bait...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

17 minutes ago, Lihu said:

No need to wait!

http://www.bogeygolftour.com/

Seriously, you'd probably do pretty good given your handicap and putting skills!

You just wait.  You will see me in the Masters some 20 years from now.  I will have mother of all "Dan's plan" and eat away at my current HI. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 2681 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!