IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This game is so... I dunno... stupid!  

I went out this morning because I haven't been able to get out and swing a club since last Friday.  Unfortunately, due to the hurricane, our National Championship tournament on Hilton Head was delayed by 3 weeks... so, I kind of found myself in a bit of a mentally bad spot for a few days too.  I didn't want to practice and I didn't have time to play.  

Anyway... I knew I had some time to get out today, so I headed out and played 18 holes by myself this morning.  It was cool and there was a heavy coating of dew on the grass to start, but by about the 5th hole... it warmed up significantly and the dew burned off.  

When I got on the course, I felt VERY off standing over the ball.  My drives were ugly.  I topped more shots on a few par 5 holes than I had in the last 6 months combined.  I couldn't make a putt.  I told my buddy that I was pretty sure I couldn't have hit water if I was hitting off the end of a pier.  

I ended up posting an abysmal 46 - 51 = 97.  It was just bad all around.  

After I finished up, I went into the clubhouse and spoke with one of the guys in there about the dogfight that night and I signed up.  I went home... had some lunch... did some paperwork... helped girls with their homework... showered... and then headed back to the course.  

It was LITERALLY night and day.  I was pounding drives right down the middle and about 30 yards further, on average, than I was in the morning round.  Approach shots were tight.  Putts were not falling, but they weren't horrible.  

I posted a 41 which was good for a Stableford score of +2.  The blind partner draw saw me paired with a guy who posted a -1 and our +1 score held up and won us $45 each.  

I just can't figure out this game sometimes.  How I can go from feeling so strong and secure over a ball to feeling like it's the first time I've ever swung a club at other times.  

Oh well.  I'll take the bad to get the good, I suppose.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey CY,  Sounds like you had a tough morning and then a great afternoon.  That is strange but hey, you never know what the Golf Gods are gonna send your way.  One week I hate it, the next week I love it.  One week I drive awesome the next I am OB all day.... same goes for irons and putting.  Funniest part of all of it is we all come back and play again because we love this game and are hooked on it!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

3 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Hey CY,  Sounds like you had a tough morning and then a great afternoon.  That is strange but hey, you never know what the Golf Gods are gonna send your way.  One week I hate it, the next week I love it.  One week I drive awesome the next I am OB all day.... same goes for irons and putting.  Funniest part of all of it is we all come back and play again because we love this game and are hooked on it!

Luckily, it's very rare that I hate golf.  It usually happens after an especially poor round, but... it never lasts.  

Like you said, I'm always back out there a few days later.  I just wish I could find some consistency.  I know part of my problem is that, during my solo rounds, I rarely (if ever) warm up beyond a few practice swings on the first tee.  

My wife asked me last night why I play so poorly in my practice/solo rounds but I score so well during dogfights, money rounds or tournaments and I had to shrug my shoulders and laugh.  I guess it's because I don't do the foolish things during those more important rounds (like pulling out a 3 wood for a second shot on a three-shot par 5 instead of hitting a 4 iron into a safe position) and I concentrate more when playing for something.  I also have more time to read the greens and the benefit of seeing others putt first in some cases which helps with green speeds, etc.  

One of these days, I'll figure it out.  Until then... I'm going to keep posting a 95 one day followed by an 85 the next day and scratching my head.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

21 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

One of these days, I'll figure it out.  Until then... I'm going to keep posting a 95 one day followed by an 85 the next day and scratching my head.

"It comes and it goes..." - overheard in the clubhouse

Well, that was fun! Having not gone lower than 89 over the last 4-6 weeks, today I went and shot a 39/42 for an 81!!! And  I know this sounds ridiculous, but I'm actually gutted. I only needed a 5 at the par 5 18th to break 80, but bottled it for a double bogey.

It was actually rather unspectacular with 1 birdie, 9 pars, 6 bogeys, and 2 doubles. I hit 8 fairways, with the rest well in play. I managed to largely cure an ugly slice that's plagued my game recently. The one I did slice went so far that I found the adjacent fairway. I really concentrated on finishing my entire swing; even holding the pose on the follow through so that the swing path was as straight as possible.

I hit 9 GIR, which isn't actually that much better than my average round, but I also got up and down for par 3 times, which is unheard of for me. I've really struggled around the greens lately but I've been working hard with a new approach and today it worked. Only once did I skull it across the green. Hopefully this'll give me a bit of confidence, because I've been dreading those fiddly chip shots from just off the green. 

Putting was ok. 34 putts, I still 3-putted 3 times though. 

Overall it was fantastic. I can't complain, but I think no matter how well we play we still always think of the shots we leave out there.

Hope there were some other low scores out there today!

Edited by Hazsa

I shot my lowest ever by a mile with an 83 two weeks ago! Something like 8 pars and a birdie! I have played three rounds since, and have been unable to break 100 and shot my highest in years.(109). Im growing tired of this game. Every time I play well, it seems a fluke. Ive been playing since I was 14 and have played once a week every week since 05. The game is too hard and takes too long...chances seem to be increasing that Im gonna leave golf and just go hobby less. :pound: :cry:

Got maybe my last round for the year in with @mcanadiens yesterday. There was a fair bit of wind out there but I still managed to do fairly well on the first 12 holes. However things got a bit dicey after that. In all honesty, it's my own fault, but it's because I always struggle when I get behind slow people and I have to wait extra long between shots. The two guys that were in front of us on the first 12 holes apparently had a third join them at some point. I don't remember seeing that person until they were on the 11th tee. Two things about this 3rd person made it way slower. First, the person didn't have their own clubs but were in a separate cart from the first two guys, and second he hit almost ever shot I saw straight to the right. So the two carts had to drive and look for this guy's ball every time. As expected, in short order I started having trouble, carding a +4 on one hole and a string of doubles besides. I was feeling pretty good after I played the front nine in +7 only to end up with a +10 on the back. The only other real struggle I had was the greens were much slower than I was expecting or used to so I could not get any putt of length to the hole so I ended up with a few three putts and missed several mid range putts that were dead on line but short. All that said, for a round with putting struggles and a back nine where I felt like my game went to crap I still was able to keep it under 90 so I can't be too upset.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

17 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

I shot my lowest ever by a mile with an 83 two weeks ago! Something like 8 pars and a birdie! I have played three rounds since, and have been unable to break 100 and shot my highest in years.(109). Im growing tired of this game. Every time I play well, it seems a fluke. Ive been playing since I was 14 and have played once a week every week since 05. The game is too hard and takes too long...chances seem to be increasing that Im gonna leave golf and just go hobby less. :pound: :cry:

That pretty much sums up amateur golf... Just keep your spirits up and welcome to the club... :-)

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

21 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Got maybe my last round for the year in with @mcanadiens yesterday.

I always enjoy my rounds with @Jeremie Boop. He may drill me by eight strokes like he did Saturday, but he never gives me that feeling while its happening. 

My driver went sour this weekend. It wasn't good Saturday at Shelby Oaks and it was outrageously bad on Sunday at Yankee Trace. Hit OB on back-to-back drives twice yesterday and only remember one drive I'd call decent. I'm definitely a bit flummoxed right now. 

Its been probably 4 or 5 months since I last checked in here. Golfed a ton early this summer but work and other things got in the way and golfing 5 days a week turned into twice a week which turned into twice in the last 2 months combined. I started out the summer scuffling to break 90 bouncing between 88-95 with my best score being an 86. Well I went out this Saturday thinking it might be one of the last decent days to golf here in Michigan and wanted to take advantage. I was the only person on the course and walking 18 was really peaceful. I honestly hit the ball very poorly didnt get off the tee well at all I think I only hit 4 fairways only had 1 GIR but my short game was pretty ridiculous. Only 1 GIR but I was around the green all day just wasn't hitting them. I chipped in 3! times got up and down for par 8 times only 3 putted once and kept the ball in play only 1 OB which is good for me. I had gone out with the intention of just walking 9 but when I chipped in for birdie on 9 and hit the clubhouse with a 39 I decided to keep going. The back I seemed to strike the ball better and was feeling pretty confident scoring par on the first 3 holes then I had my OB on my second shot of a par 5 and ended up doubling then rattled off 4 straight bogeys before finishing par-par and an overall score of 80! I still cant believe I scored that well and honestly dont expect to again for a long time I think I'll call it a year after that and leave my season on a high note with high(ish) hopes for next year!

Back down to earth today. Shot an 89 on a course new to me (par 73). I should probably be pleased, unfamiliarity with the course probably cost me a couple of strokes, but I fell apart after the turn having shot an enjoyable 42 on the front. I felt another low 80s score coming. Maybe that's what cost me.

My driving, which had been awesome again, deserted me 2 holes running. One I somehow got away with a par, the other cost me a triple. Then I went 5 over on the last 4 holes. 

On the bright side, it only took us 2 hrs 45 mins to play a full 18!

Well I have hit my New Mizuno's a couple of times now but they were both Best Ball tourneys.  I don't even have a score to put up in here unless you want to count our teams -7 and -10 scores.  Not bad but both were 2nd place scores... didn't win either.

Forecast is so so for the weekend.  Hope to get out and card a whole round with the new sticks and maybe have a good post for this thread.

Hope you all get to go out and have a lil fun as well.  Hit em long and hit em straight!!!

I shot my lowest round ever today, 85 at my home course.  41 on front, 44 on back, should have been lower but I had an OB on a Par 3, cost me 2 strokes.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

23 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I shot my lowest round ever today, 85 at my home course.  41 on front, 44 on back, should have been lower but I had an OB on a Par 3, cost me 2 strokes.  

85, very cool, congratulations. After shooting a 41 on the front you kept your nerve and held on for a good score on the back.

85 is the next big goal for me. A couple of months ago I shot 42 on the front and then just mentally collapsed, shooting 49 on the back for a 91 - including some very easy putts missed, and an OOB on the 18th hole. 

1 hour ago, newtogolf said:

Congrats!!!

One of the great feelings in golf is "damn that was a great round- and it coulda/shoulda been better too." 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I played my last round of the year a couple of weeks ago and since then the weather has been rotten here except for a couple of days. I played my old home course from the senior tees. I had a decent front nine. Had one absolute disaster hole on the back 9 (I picked up out of the tall fescue and dropped the ball onto the fairway from the golf cart because the grass was wrapping around the hosel and hurting my shoulders to try to hit it.  I didn't feel like measuring the who knows how many unplayable lies before I reached playable territory - so it was an X on the hole). And after that I played decently for the rest of the round. That's what I get for pulling my drive into the tall grass - a lousy score.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

21 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Nice job!  That's awesome.  I shot one of those this summer and it was my lowest round as well.

I did it the other way, out in 44 & back in 41.  Cheers :beer:

• Upvote 1

After my astounding 83 and three straight rounds of 100 or more, I finally broke 100 again with a 98. I found that I was decelerating into ball. Im addressing the ball with the club head two inches or so further back and all my shots are getting airborne again. Just hard to figure out where they're gonna land. New swing thru the ball seems a bit less accurate. But hopefully, Im getting back on track. Dont shoot your best ever unless your ready to suck for a while immediately after! Lol :hmm:

Note: This thread is 1026 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!