IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played 2 rounds over the weekend. One was a pretty solid 84 on a par 69. The other was the best/ most frustrating 85 (par 72) i've ever shot. I was +7 after 3 holes, but +6 for the remaining 15! My ball-striking has improved so much in the last 4-6 weeks thanks to one or two little tweaks I've made. Every time I head to the course or range I pray that they'll still work.

Anyway, I've not failed to shoot below 90 in quite a while now, and I genuinely feel like I'm close to breaking 80 on a regular(ish) basis. I just need to reduce the number of doubles from 4+ per round to 1 or 2. I should probably stop positing my scores on this thread, at least until my game inevitably nose-dives. I'll also look at starting a 'Breaking 80' thread (i've not found an existing one). I hope to see you guys on there soon as there have been some brilliant scores posted on here lately! :beer:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, KoenA said:

I've been lurking around this thread for a long time, but I'm so happy with today's score I just had to post to share it with other golf nuts :beer:

Over the past months, I've been averaging low 90's scores, and managed to break 90 twice with a 89. I felt like there was potential to do better but always had a few blow-up holes. Today however, I managed to shatter my personal records, despite a not so great start :-D

I arrived at the golf course just in time for my tee time, no warming up, and it showed:
1st hole: Topped tee shot barely beyond the ladies tees. Thanks to decent second and 3rd shots managed to get away with a bogey.
2nd hole: First tee shot out of bounds, second tee shot in a lateral water hazard (beyond the stakes but luckily still playable), resulting in a triple bogey

But as of then: 8 pars, 7 bogeys and to top it off a birdie on 18! Total score: 82!!

I just can't wait to go out again and see whether I can repeat this feat (or even what my card would look like if I wouldn't have taken that damn triple bogey)!
For those interested, game golf round here

Welcome! Man, you really raised the bar on yourself. I guess that's a good thing :beer:. Congrats!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see we have some good scores back in here as well as a few not so good.  Well I got one of the not so good ones.  Got some new irons a bit ago and played 2 BB tourneys so I didn't have any scores to post. Was hitting them pretty good and finally got to play a whole round with them.

Well it was cold, a little rain and the course was pretty soaked.  Driving was good, irons were pretty good and the putter was cold.... very cold.  Threw down a 47 & 48 for a big, fat 95.  Wasn't too proud or happy with it but at the 19th I was replaying the morning and between the cold putter and the 5 or 6 duffed wet/mud shots , I guess it was ok and I saw where I could have had a better score.

Does anyone have any good ideas/thought on hitting mid irons or wedges in really wet ground?  This is where I lost a lot of shots.  I hit some huge beaver pelts and the ball didn't go very far.  This is not a shot I practice as we have had a drought all summer so tight lies have been what I was hitting all season.

Maybe I will look/start a thread on wet irons/wedges play as I could use some help with this.

Hit them long, hit them straight and keep playing till they close the courses!!!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

2 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Well it was cold, a little rain and the course was pretty soaked...  

Does anyone have any good ideas/thought on hitting mid irons or wedges in really wet ground? 

I also want to know.

It rained here 28/31 days in October and it's just about unplayable. No bounce, no roll - absolutely no mercy. 

I've been told to take an extra club, "club down" or something like that (not sure what the exact terminology is).

If anyone has any good advice I'm all ears.  

2 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

I also want to know.

It rained here 28/31 days in October and it's just about unplayable. No bounce, no roll - absolutely no mercy. 

I've been told to take an extra club, "club down" or something like that (not sure what the exact terminology is).

I started another thread in clubs about the wet iron/wedge questions.  Hope to get some answers there.

Club up/extra club means if you were hitting your 8 iron, grab a 7 iron.  Club down would mean in the same situation, grab the 9.

Back at it this afternoon.  Played with a guy who I'll be partnered with in a 2 man tournament in a week.  We played a course neither of us have played before and, with the exception of a few holes here and there... we both played pretty well.  

I went 44 - 41 = 85 and he posted 42 - 42 = 84 for the day.  

I drove the ball really well today.  I hit 10 of 14 fairways which left me with 7 iron or less into most of the greens (except the par 5 holes).  I finished hitting 9 of 18 greens in regulation and I was within 30 yards of every green in regulation except 2.  

My putting was off because the greens were MUCH slower than what I've been putting on (especially early when there was some dew on them).  Still... I had 36 putts.  

I'll take the 85 and run with it.  

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

so....... i went out today and got my 9 holes in for the week...... and i bought a new 7iron early in the week.... snagged a basically NEW Titleist 716mb 7 iron off ebay..... and i was so geeked about getting to use it....... and i didnt even pull it out of my bag today lol..... FML!!!!!!!!!!   

the course i played was so wet today, that everything off the driver was coming up short / no roll out or being plugged.. so i was using long irons for my 2nd shots lol.... i seriously havent used my 4 iron this much in a long time.... but it felt good 

my score wasnt all that great,,, a 51 over 9.... did have two lost balls, sliced one into a road lol.... and lost another one that i couldnt find most likely to the ball being plugged in the fairway lol..... 

It is what it is

I have had great starts to rounds lately but cant hold that form for 18 holes. I was even through six holes and had the best front ever but the wheels fell off and i shot 86 again. Its like i have a stamina issue or something. I need a game plan to hold it together for 18 not 9. If anyone has gone through this and has found something to help, i would be very grateful for the advice. Well, Hit Em Good Yall !!!!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

Heres a good one for everyone struggling in our handicap range. I played 18 on friday and I wish like hell I woulda done anything else instead. Got off to a decent start that lasted all of two holes before total implosion and a near death experience. Couldnt putt, couldnt get ball airborne, what did get up, was a pull or a hook and then it happened. After an errant approach landed under trees right of green, my next shot richocted off the curb of the cart path violently, nearly striking me in the head. Then ball slams off propane tank of patio grill making loudest dong you ever heard and barely missing patio window.

To make matters worse, eventually got paired up with a +1 who got to witness all my effervescent stupidity!!! My other playing partner I was paired with had a Jim Furyk swing and hadnt played in three months due to an injury. He shot a 95 to my 102 and outdrove me every single hole. But he was a super cool dude and the only one who didnt fall on the green laughing after the shot that nearly decapitated me. I f@*^%¥g hate this stupid game! Im an idiot for continuing to play it week in and week out. :pound:

MORAL OF STORY: could be worse, u could be me!

• Upvote 3

I had a rough one this past week too.  It was the only round I played last week as I had work to catch up on due to trip to Myrtle Beach.  The round started out great with a 43 on the front 9.  We get to the 10th tee and just as we're about to tee off, three riding mowers and the grounds keepers dog go shooting past us and start mowing the fairways in range of our tee shots.  

These guys are clueless, ride without helmets and don't watch or seem to care they could get killed by a golf ball.  The dog is laying out in the fairway while the guys mow the fairway without any concern.  I finally wave at them and they pull off just to the side of the fairway.  I was annoyed and as usual my frustration shows up in my golf game, so I end up slicing the first drive off into a hazard, I wrote down a 7 on the card. 

By the time I get to the drop area, they mowers have moved forward more and are now guarding the green, my playing partner suggests we just skip the rest of the hole and move to the next.  We get to the next hole which is a par 3, wait for the green to clear and again as we're about to tee off, the mowers come barreling through with the dog and start mowing.  

I was annoyed and just said screw it and hit my tee shot, which flew over the green into an unplayable lie and recorded resulted in a 5.  My great round was getting ruined thanks to the mowers.  Same thing happened on the 12th and 13th holes and I was getting really annoyed.  All they had to do was let us stay in front of them and they'd have a decent gap between us and the group behind us but they insisted on rushing past us.  

After their presence made me screw up my tee shot on 14 I lost it.  I drove right out to the head grounds keeper and asked him why they insisted on rushing out past us when they could just wait 2 minutes and we'd be comfortably in front of them and they'd have a buffer to mow the fairways without impacting anyone.  Rather than apologize he told me they weren't doing anything wrong, I explained that I didn't want to deal with the headache of killing one of them or his dog with a golf ball.  He started to argue back when I said look, do I need to call the pro shop and get them to speak to you at which point he waved his hands and said "fine".  

The back nine was shot by then, I ended up carding a 54 and a 97 total.  

Joe Paradiso

10 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Heres a good one for everyone struggling in our handicap range. I played 18 on friday and I wish like hell I woulda done anything else instead. Got off to a decent start that lasted all of two holes before total implosion and a near death experience. Couldnt putt, couldnt get ball airborne, what did get up, was a pull or a hook and then it happened. After an errant approach landed under trees right of green, my next shot richocted off the curb of the cart path violently, nearly striking me in the head. Then ball slams off propane tank of patio grill making loudest dong you ever heard and barely missing patio window.

To make matters worse, eventually got paired up with a +1 who got to witness all my effervescent stupidity!!! My other playing partner I was paired with had a Jim Furyk swing and hadnt played in three months due to an injury. He shot a 95 to my 102 and outdrove me every single hole. But he was a super cool dude and the only one who didnt fall on the green laughing after the shot that nearly decapitated me. I f@*^%¥g hate this stupid game! Im an idiot for continuing to play it week in and week out. :pound:

MORAL OF STORY: could be worse, u could be me!

Wow... I've been there before.  A few years ago, I was playing in a tournament at a high end course near Atlantic City.  Up until that point, it was the nicest course I had ever been on.  I couldn't wait for the day of the tournament.  On the range while warming up, I was hitting everything where I wanted... and considering I was a 23+ handicap at that point, I felt awesome.  

The entire round, if I got a ball higher than 4 feet off the ground, I don't remember it.  I ended up shooting a 127 which was a 101 net score.  0 of 14 fairways... 0 of 18 greens... 33 putts.  It was awful.  I wanted to crawl into a hole and die.  

That year was probably the worst of my golfing life.  I played 16 rounds that season and my best score was a 106.  I remember telling my wife after my last round in September that I was going to give up golf and that I hated the game.

Obviously, I didn't give it up but... I've told her at least 10 times since then that I hated the game.  In almost every instance, it's a small thing I'm doing differently (not using my lower body as much, my stance is a little open, my weight isn't as far forward as it needs to be, etc)... and when I 'discover' what it is I'm doing wrong, I go on a run and play 'great' for awhile. 

Just take some time.  Write some notes down thinking back to times you know your swing was on and the conscious thoughts you may have had at those times.  Create a checklist of sorts and keep it in your bag.  When something goes wrong... reference that checklist and see if it helps.  

Above all else... breathe and realize it's a game.  A game that you love to hate... and that's okay.

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Time changed and i was up and ready to roll this morning !!!! I got to the course early to resume my quest for an  80 breaker. I started off totally opposite as normal. DOUBLE , DOUBLE , BOGEY through three. I forced myself to just laugh. I got it together after that and scraped out an 85. 79 seems so far away , three bad holes like that and you're done. Six shots looking back on it was so doable. I will try again Tuesday, haha. I hope someone in this thread breaks out soon. Hit Em Good Yall

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

On 9/15/2016 at 2:54 PM, rkim291968 said:

A golfer at the next stall at my range had one of those - Swingcaddie II.   It even has a speaker and yells out the yardage after swing.  He let me use if for a few swings. Afterward, I looked one up on EBay and am considering buying one.  The only problem is that any thing I carry to range, I tend to lose it after a while.   At $200 per pop, I am hesitating to get one, only to lose it after a few month.

Maybe see if you could hook a golf  towel to it.  That way it's much easier to see and even if you're in a hurry to leave it's hard to forget. 

Edited by sirhacksalot
Speeling

On 11/2/2016 at 2:18 PM, Vinny Cap said:

I started another thread in clubs about the wet iron/wedge questions.  Hope to get some answers there.

Club up/extra club means if you were hitting your 8 iron, grab a 7 iron.  Club down would mean in the same situation, grab the 9.

Control. We play a course that can get really wet.  The only thing that works for me is a controlled shot.  That'said more of a feeling for me because if I have a 100 out instead of sand wedge I might hit a pw or a 9.  145 might be 6 instead 7 or hard 8.  Or the same club but I really level out my stance and pretend I'm hitting out of a fairway bunker.

Follow throughs are much shorter on those controlled shots, the feeling for me is that I'm swinging to extension  from about a 3/4 or so backswing

Edited by sirhacksalot
  • Upvote 1

On 11/2/2016 at 0:02 PM, Kalnoky said:

I also want to know.

I asked Iacas that same question in another thread.   

On 8/13/2016 at 10:30 AM, dennyjones said:

One of the more difficult shots for me is in a wet fairway.   It seems like I'm never getting my weight forward enough and hitting behind the ball.    I try to stand taller but I still either hit it thin or fat.

Suggestions?

Standing taller won't do much, typically.

You've probably got the answer right there: you're not getting your weight forward properly, or you're not achieving Key #3 at least.

Working on those things will help, but here's a slightly off-the-wall idea that I want you to try. First, take an extra club so you can make a slightly shorter, more controlled swing. Second, play the ball a ball more forward in your stance, so you can feel that you not only can go forward, but that you must go forward to hit the ball well.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On Wednesday, November 02, 2016 at 5:56 PM, Fairway_CY said:

I went 44 - 41 = 85 and he posted 42 - 42 = 84 for the day. 

I'll take the 85 and run with it.  

CY

NICE!  Another 85,  Doing good, keep it up!

On Saturday, November 05, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Strat-Pack said:

I have had great starts to rounds lately but cant hold that form for 18 holes. I was even through six holes and had the best front ever but the wheels fell off and i shot 86 again.

Nice score.  Nothing wrong with a 86.  From another post it looks like you are trying to break 80.  I can only dream about scores like that. You also shot an 85.  For a 17.6 those are good scores!

On Sunday, November 06, 2016 at 0:09 AM, stealthhwk said:

Got off to a decent start that lasted all of two holes before total implosion and a near death experience. 

I f@*^%¥g hate this stupid game! Im an idiot for continuing to play it week in and week out. :pound:

WOW, that was one heck of a shot.  Glad you escaped without injury.

Don't be too hard on yourself.  We ALL hate this game at one time or another.  Usually after a horrible round.  I wasn't too happy with my last round but I am looking forward to hitting the course again and all it takes is that one shot to make you want to play all day, every day!

10 hours ago, sirhacksalot said:

Control. We play a course that can get really wet.  The only thing that works for me is a controlled shot.  That'said more of a feeling for me because if I have a 100 out instead of sand wedge I might hit a pw or a 9.  145 might be 6 instead 7 or hard 8.  Or the same club but I really level out my stance and pretend I'm hitting out of a fairway bunker.

Follow throughs are much shorter on those controlled shots, the feeling for me is that I'm swinging to extension  from about a 3/4 or so backswing

Thanks for the tips.  Will keep them in mind as its getting wetter and colder and the season is coming to an end....

I dont know for sure if its 17.6 . Ive put all my score cards into multiple sites and the number comes out different every time. I honestly dont know. On a bad day92....on a good day 83.   Whats in the middle of that for an index ?  They throw out your worst and best rounds so ??????? Ive had it say 15 and 17.6 and in the beginning it was 19 something. I just put the middle one so i dont look like a lying schmuck. I have more 88s than anything i would say. Thats what i do hahaha.

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

Here's my latest. Been dealing with very poor ball striking. My drives barely went 200 yards. Irons were getting shorter and I was bottoming behind the ball. I was trying everything that I had written down over the years. I played a scramble and realized how much worse I was getting - I only hit 1 par 3 green out of 4 when a few years back I hit every one.

Golf was a chore - and "only for exercise". FRUSTRATING!

Yesterday, while suffering again, I remembered a lesson I took where the instructor said "I wish you would stand a little taller when you address the ball". So I did and hit that ball flush. I continued to do this and had the best ball striking day. That, along with a stronger grip gave me back my distance on irons and driver. I was putting for birdies rather than struggling to get up and down. I haven't hit a 260+ yard drive in so long.... It felt so good to keep walking to find the ball!

Who knows? Maybe it only worked yesterday but I can hope.

Note: This thread is 1032 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!