IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Outstanding!  Great comeback after going down 5 through 8.   I was no more than 3 holes behind on all my matches so I can't imagine what you felt like after seeing 5 down at 8th hole on the scorecard.   It must have been painfully disappointing to lose at the playoff after the great comeback.

Thanks, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed but I took some solace in the fact that I overcame being down 5 and played myself back into a position to win it.

Since this was my first entry into individual tournament play, I honestly never expected to make it to the semi-finals no less the finals so I am walking away with a lot of lessons learned.  I think the pressure got to me on 18 and in the playoff hole as I'd typically make that putt on 18 but there were about 50 people watching the finish along with the club pro's and directors and I just wasn't used to that.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BTW, @newtogof, did an yone try to get into your head during the tournament?   In my 1st year matches, a couple of my opponents started to "whine" whenever they got behind saying things like he's "giving me too many strokes."   I should have countered them with, "hey, dude.  It's a handicap tournament and I am playing to my handicap."   I ignored the comments and played on but I felt they were acting rather childish.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

BTW, @newtogof, did anyone try to get into your head during the tournament?   In my 1st year matches, a couple of my opponents started to "whine" whenever they got behind saying things like he's "giving me too many strokes."   I should have countered them with, "hey, dude.  It's a handicap tournament and I am playing to my handicap."   I ignored the comments and played on but I felt they were acting rather childish.

The guy I played in my semi-final match did, he had the lowest handicap in our flight and had played in and won our flights club championships often over the last 20 years so I don't think he expected our match to be close.

We were back and forth the entire match but once I got up by 3 with 4 to go he started to make comments about handing me the match.  He got really annoyed when he pitched a shot into the sand and rather than risk doing the same I chose to putt the ball up to the green and left it about 4 feet from the flag.  He kept commenting that he couldn't believe he was going to lose to a guy that putts up from off the green, but I knew he had handed me a stroke there and didn't want to waste it with a bad chip so I putted and it worked out.

The guy I played in the final match was a great guy, we rode in the cart together and cheered each other on.  He got a bit quieter when I came back and took the lead but he never tried to get into my head.

Joe Paradiso

My short game has been coming along but I took a heavy blow to my hci after playing in our club championship this weekend. After shooting pretty steady mid 80's for the last few weeks I went out and destroyed my streak with 2 rounds in the mid 90's.  No real blow up holes, just doubles and triples here and there soon add up. I think it started on the first day with the fact that one member of our group was just holding everybody up, constantly in the woods, constant mishits and just generally holding everything up so bad that it took forever to play, there was a ridiculous amount of waiting and everyone had a lousy round, with the one player DQing himself on the next to last hole after taking a 13 (par 5) I have never seen him play like that but there was apparently something going on with him and a mickey of whisky to himself. I felt really uncomfortable seeing groups behind waiting to hit while our group was holding everyone up. I've never been in a situation like that, felt like just leaving the group and playing on with my golfing partner but we were in foursomes.The next day I played with a group that had all shot mid 90's and although play was much quicker, I just couldn't get it out of my head and shot another mid 90. back to the drawing board I guess. I have to learn to shut out what's going on around me and play my own game. My buddy (excellent player, low single digit hci)  says that being agitated by others and things going on around you causes you to tense and affects your grip, swing, focus and hence your game results and you have to learn to ignore it and just play your own game.

If you're shooting those scores while struggling with your irons, you're really close to scoring regularly in the mid-80's.  I have to make a conscious effort to feel the turn my hips on my backswing or I come over the top, not sure that's your problem but thought it might be worth mentioning.

I've been working on the range on something similar. I notice I tend to spin out on my downswing, which brings shanks into play, and certainly causes the over the top, so I've been using something Mark Crossfield suggested in a random video last years for people with too much hip rotation: trying to feel as if I'm not moving them at all (ie, an all arms swing). In reality, one still rotates plenty, but it feels static, and calms the action down. It's been helpful when I've worked on it on the range, but I don't like to bring thoughts like that onto the course. Though I may have to since it can't get worse, haha. Amazing how driver has turned into such a strength and the irons that were really solid have fallen apart. This game feels like trying to nail jello to a wall sometimes.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I've been working on the range on something similar. I notice I tend to spin out on my downswing, which brings shanks into play, and certainly causes the over the top, so I've been using something Mark Crossfield suggested in a random video last years for people with too much hip rotation: trying to feel as if I'm not moving them at all (ie, an all arms swing). In reality, one still rotates plenty, but it feels static, and calms the action down. It's been helpful when I've worked on it on the range, but I don't like to bring thoughts like that onto the course. Though I may have to since it can't get worse, haha. Amazing how driver has turned into such a strength and the irons that were really solid have fallen apart. This game feels like trying to nail jello to a wall sometimes.

I agree, it's not easy to get the driver, irons, woods and wedges all working well on the same day.  When I'm not suffering from the shanks my irons and hybrids are my strength and compensate for an inconsistent driver and wedge game (especially out of the sand).

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

If you're shooting those scores while struggling with your irons, you're really close to scoring regularly in the mid-80's.  I have to make a conscious effort to feel the turn my hips on my backswing or I come over the top, not sure that's your problem but thought it might be worth mentioning.

If I consciously think about rotating my hips during my swing, I over-rotate and end up hitting dead pulls.  As you said, they'll rotate through the swing if I just stay loose and let it happen.  Thinking too much during the swing gets me in a lot of trouble!

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

• Administrator
If I consciously think about rotating my hips during my swing, I over-rotate and end up hitting dead pulls.  As you said, they'll rotate through the swing if I just stay loose and let it happen.  Thinking too much during the swing gets me in a lot of trouble!

Feels aren't real, almost always, and I suspect there's more to it than that.

Pretty sure you don't have a Member Swing thread, right @Mac62 ?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not me. The only swing thought I have right now is turning the hips. I have to or I hit a duck hook or a block slice.

You post brought up an interesting thought regarding swing thoughts for the high HC. I've dropped three strokes off my index over my last 8 rounds and while a lot of that has to do with leaving the driver in the bag, changing my thought process at address is also a part of it. I have a bad habit of standing over the ball too long, thinking about the wrong things. Over the last couple months, I've made a real effort to shorten my time over the ball, leading to my swing thought of "set...go". Since I've started doing that, my shots (especially irons) have been much better.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

You post brought up an interesting thought regarding swing thoughts for the high HC. I've dropped three strokes off my index over my last 8 rounds and while a lot of that has to do with leaving the driver in the bag, changing my thought process at address is also a part of it. I have a bad habit of standing over the ball too long, thinking about the wrong things. Over the last couple months, I've made a real effort to shorten my time over the ball, leading to my swing thought of "set...go". Since I've started doing that, my shots (especially irons) have been much better.

I've done the same thing with very good results.  I don't take practice swings unless I'm in the rough and want to test how the club head will travel through it or I'm pitching and chipping.  The only swing thought I have is to turn my hips on the backswing.  I used to stand over the ball and think about the shot and swing thoughts and now I pick my target before address, line up my club head, take my stance, think about rotating and swing.

I found the longer I stood over the ball the more tense my body would get.

Joe Paradiso

guys i have to say i had some pretty good rounds this past weekend posted both under 90. on saturday morning, posted an 85. i was really playing my saves from the rough well as i only hit 3 fairways but hit 4 GIRs off of the misses. I am definitely going to work on my chipping as the pros say is so important. i never saw that until that round as i would have some approach shots right off the green and have less than satisfactory chips leading to multiple 2 putts. looking to save those shots with some better chipping moving forward. also have to be frustrated above driving the green on a 330 yard hole and then 4 putting for bogey. Whenever i have good shots like that i tend to overthik everything. certainly have to have some calm nerves and take those amazing shots with a grain of salt. second round was a lesser exciting 89. just seemed like an off day even though it was an 89. my driver was pretty erratic. will go to the range and work on the swing this week and continue to improve.

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

I just used a website to calculate my handicap and apparently it's 21, so I'm joining the race to break 90.

Welcome to the struggle. :-D

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Played in my club championship yesterday and shot 92 over the first 18 holes. 27 holes in 136.

Always just knocking on 90's door!

Hey, SafeBogey, how did you do?

Note: This thread is 1036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!