IGNORED

Drone flyover of Augusta National

Note: This thread is 2592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Surprised this video hasn't been taken down, it shows Augusta National, without the contrast turned up, although it's still pretty green and in poor shape as well, the unfiltered version the club probably doesn't want anyone to see.

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks much different from the aerial view. In the intro, a fairly large bird flew close to the drone

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator

This is what they do over the summer.

I too am surprised it has not been taken down yet.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The guy that gave me my first lessons has played there a couple of times, and he told me that the course was browned out sort of like in the video both times. Im told if you play there towards the time where it closes for the year, the weather down there starts takes a toll on the place. 

• Upvote 1

Very cool, but not exactly surprising that it isn't like heavenly looking and lush green year round. Augusta is like most private clubs when it comes to the seasons. 

I will say, however, this goes to show you how freaking awesome some greens keepers and their teams are. I'm lucky to have an outstanding team working at my country club. From the brown winter to the lush diamond cut green fairways in the spring they do some incredible work in a short amount of time. 

For perspective, here is my club in the winter vs the summer. 

Untitled.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

This is what they do over the summer.

I too am surprised it has not been taken down yet.

l saved a copy for myself. Once it's on the Internet, it stays on the Internet.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

l saved a copy for myself. Once it's on the Internet, it stays on the Internet.

Ditto.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Very cool, but not exactly surprising that it isn't like heavenly looking and lush green year round. Augusta is like most private clubs when it comes to the seasons. 

I will say, however, this goes to show you how freaking awesome some greens keepers and their teams are. I'm lucky to have an outstanding team working at my country club. From the brown winter to the lush diamond cut green fairways in the spring they do some incredible work in a short amount of time. 

Untitled.jpg

That just looks like its in great shape all of the time - only with some dormant grass in the winter.

Just now, Golfingdad said:

That just looks like its in great shape all of the time - only with some dormant grass in the winter.

Yes, we are fortunate our tees and greens are always somewhat green with the zoysia grass. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

That's really, really cool. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Wow, it's the 'Stars without makeup' or 'Stars, they are just like us' version.

So, $50 off season rates ?

2 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Untitled.jpg

What's the temp drop to at lowest? Our CC greens still maintain decent health through winter. Lows in low 30s. Fairways brown out but playable.

Vishal S.

I attended a Carolinas Turf Conference, and Marsh Benson, the superintendent at AGNC was a speaker. He showed some pictures of construction projects that were going on in the summer. There was so much bare dirt, it looked like a new golf course being built. It is amazing that they can do some fairly big projects, and the changes are not even noticed.

17 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Wow, it's the 'Stars without makeup' or 'Stars, they are just like us' version.

So, $50 off season rates ?

What's the temp drop to at lowest? Our CC greens still maintain decent health through winter. Lows in low 30s. Fairways brown out but playable.

haha its $90 to walk in the winter. $130 with cart in the summer. Either way you have to play with a member.

We get around 5* sometimes here. Usually hovers in the high 20's-mid 30's for a few weeks. It was 60* yesterday though. Weird southern wind. 

Kyle Paulhus

• 1 month later...

very interesting and revealing. What a brilliant idea whoever had the idea to do it. I understand Billy Payne is now trying to buy their airspace and restrict access (and rumors are circulating that they are installing Patriot missile batteries on rooftops to shoot down future drones.) :-)

Not surprised that it is not taken down, although I'm not an expert in copyright law, I believe whoever takes a picture or shoots a video owns the copyright and can therefore publish it. It is different when you attend the Masters (or any event where you buy a ticket), because they limit your rights, thus you can take or publish pictures at the Masters.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Top100Golfer said:

very interesting and revealing. What a brilliant idea whoever had the idea to do it. I understand Billy Payne is now trying to buy their airspace and restrict access (and rumors are circulating that they are installing Patriot missile batteries on rooftops to shoot down future drones.) :-)

Not surprised that it is not taken down, although I'm not an expert in copyright law, I believe whoever takes a picture or shoots a video owns the copyright and can therefore publish it. It is different when you attend the Masters (or any event where you buy a ticket), because they limit your rights, thus you can take or publish pictures at the Masters.

I'm still somewhat surprised. The drone flew over their property. The laws regarding privacy of the airspace < 500 feet altitude are murky, but local governments can make restricted airspace regions by law, and you'd have to think that if Augusta National asked the township to grant them that right above Augusta National, that the town would oblige.

Plus, the golf course is near enough to an airport that it's likely already in restricted airspace:

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-22%20at%202.03.5

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

Note: This thread is 2592 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!