IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

I had 2 GREAT shots this week

1st Round. setup by a series of TERRIBLE shots:

Par 5 (585)

1st shot sprayed into the trees left (320 left). 6 TALL trees in front of me, trees all around. I decided to go over since there's no leaves yet

2nd shot 8 iron played way in front to get it up quick (170 left)

3rd shot 5 iron up hill into the wind hit and just plugged on the fringe

2 putt par.

2nd Round

375 dog leg left par 3 you have to play a draw around 2 trees about 185 yards out. 3 iron off the tee (clipped the top of the 2nd tree)

trees right in front of me, had to play a SUPER draw w/ a choked 5 wood. hit the green and rolled off.

flop shot to 7'

1 putt par save....

hopefully we can ALL post to this thread weekly with our great shots/par saves

DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Best shot was a 3W 3rd shot on a par 5 after chipping my drive out ~sideways from behind some trees.  Set up aiming just off the left edge of the green and the shot was just as envisioned---a low piercing shot that turned over to the right at the end and rolled up onto the green for a GIR from ~210 yards out.  Made a 2-putt from about 35 feet for the GIR+par.

Most interesting shot was the third on the long par 4 opening hole.  From about 95 yards, hit a gap wedge that I caught thin and sent as a low line drive instead of my usual high wedge trajectory.  I watched, disheartened to have likely skulled it over, only to watch it hit the center of the green and slam the brakes, stopping about 5 feet from its pitch mark.  I guess I caught it clean and hit one of those low shots with a ton of backspin...wish I could do it on purpose.  It was really dramatic, too, because they just punched and sanded the greens, so it kicked up a puff of sandy dust, almost like it was burning its tires as it screeched to a halt.  Left me about 15 feet for a par, but between the nerves and sanded green, I made a stupid 3-putt---burned the right edge of the cup as it blew about 8 feet past.  Too bad, would have been my first par on that hole.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I played with a guy the other day that had an awesome shot, it was awesome to me anyway.

The green was about 50 yards away.

He was in the rough with a slight down hill slope.

There was a group of 60'-70' pines about 30' from him between him and the green.

I thought he was going to try to hit through the trees. I was wrong.

He smacked that ball and it popped straight up in the air, clearing the tree tops by just a couple feet and came to rest about 25' from the hole after it landed on the green.

I wouldn't have even tried that shot because I would have hit the tree and the ball would have probably came back to where I hit it from.

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

Par 4, downhill about 355. Huge dam in front of the green....

Drive hits the fairway, so naturally bounces and then rolls right, and off the fairway.

About 130 left, into the wind, and the pin is completely blocked off by a tree between me and the water.

Aimed it way left, shut the face and made the best draw/hook I've ever done. Around the tree, 10 feet, birdie.

About 175 yards out for my 3rd shot on an uphill par 5 with a huge tree about 10 feet infront of me right in my line. Took out a 6 iron, aimed 40-50 yards right of the hole (with out of bounds about 10 yards right of the hole and a massive 40 foot run off area into a bunch of trees to the left of it) and hit a sweeping hook around the tree, over a bunker protecting the front of the green and avoiding the massive run off area. It landed on the front edge and rolled to about 15 feet

Got out to play nine on Sunday at my new home course.  Hole 4 is a 145 yrd par 3 with a green that could play like a putt putt golf hole.  It is the easiest hole on the course, but when you are a 20 handicapper none are easy ;)

I smoothed a 8 iron since the pin was in the front left and pured it.  My ball landed on the left fringe and it funneled down to the hole.  Everyone in the foursome (including) myself was just waiting for the ball to disappear.  Unfortunately it did not.  The ball ended up directly behind the hole 8 inches away.  It was a thing of beauty and probably as close to an ace as I will get.  I took my 2 and moved on... :)

I got way more than I bargained for today on the course. I was hoping no one would be there since it's a Thursday, but they grouped me into a fivesome -- something I've never experienced before. And this wasn't just any group that they threw me with. It was four players from the local college golf team.

Let's just say these kids can hit the ball really far.

I had a rough day for the most part. My irons were terrible all day and there was even a three or four hole stretch where I could only hit worm burners with them. It was bad. I have swing issues that need to be resolved sooner rather than later. It's pretty frustrating hitting worm burners from the middle of the fairway and ending up with double bogey. This happened I think 6 or 7 times today.

On to the highlights though:

My shot of the day.

18th hole. 176 yards from the white tees to this back pin. Par-3. I hit the green with a pull-cut six iron and had a 50-60 footer uphill to the hole. I didn't take enough club. Mistake.

I drained the putt though somehow. The ball had maybe two or three revolutions left in it. Perfect line and speed.

Two greenskeepers having a drink on the patio of the clubhouse cheered as the putt dropped, and I waved to them like I was a pro on TV. I probably made about 100 feet worth of putts today too as I had a 25 footer for bogey drop on the 8th hole.

Sometimes, you just hit a shot that keeps you coming back. It's too bad my full swing went to absolute shit today, but when you're me, you'll take anything positive that you can get.

Playing on St.Patrick's Day is a bit of a tradition for me.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played thursday, and didn't have a great day, overall, but I did hit one great shot.

My playing partner and I were on the 8th hole, a short par 4. We both hit good drives, I was maybe a foot behind him and a foot into right rough. I was left with somewhere between a PW and a SW to the green with a front pin location. There was a really strong wind from left to right. I aimed left of the green, and took about a 3/4 strength swing with my PW. I hit it nice and high and the wind carried it back right. It hit the front edge of the green, rolled up and stopped about 2 feet left of the cup. I tapped in for my only birdie of the day.

The club selection of a true hacker:

Driver: Nike Dymo2 SQ
3 and 5 Wood: Nike Dymo2 SQ
Irons: Adams Idea Tech OS Hybrid Irons (5-PW)
Wedges: Maxfli 56* and 60*
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1 in Copper

Played the first round of the year last night. Hit a terrible drive....pushed it to the right, over some trees and into another fairway. My approach shot was over some other trees with about 110 remaining and plenty of room to put a wedge over the trees and safely onto the green. Almost completely miss the ball (had been striking my irons and wedges great all through the round prior to this), boned the ball....it goes into the trees, hits some rocks and trees, bouncing around like a pinball, across the cart path and onto the green.

My third shot on the 18th hole at my home course, I'm about 85 yards out and I need to clear a greenside bunker,  I pick up my W, line it up, and came about 2" from holing it out on the fly. I left a gnarly ballmark right next to the cup. Holed the putt to save par. So far I like my Ping Eye 2's (+no+ model).

I bang a drive about 275 in the middle of the fairway and have 120 into a back shelf pin location with a slight breeze in my face. Hit a full pw to 2 feet for a kick in birdie.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

On hole # 4 (492 yard par 5) I stuck the green off the tee and the ball stopped about 15' from the hole.

Of course the green was on hole #5, something like 60 yards to the left of the tee box. But hey, I stuck the green with my driver while I was on a par 5!

Hyper X 10º driver Diablo Edge 9.5º backup driver

Burner Rescue 3 hybrid 4-A irons 56º wedge 60º wedge CRAZ-E putter

Played in a fundraiser tourney for my softball team over the weekend..

Probably wasnt the best shot of my round, but it meant the most. 4 man's captain's choice. Tied going into our 18th hole. Its a par 4... 478 yards. I hit a drive decent.. 250 yards... rolls to about 260. My teammate then hits a hybrid fairly well... we are about 75 yards to the green. Bunkers surround the green. One directly in front of the green. I am the last to hit because my 60 degree is probably the best club in my bag for some odd reason. All 3 players hit decent but not great shots to avoid the bunker. Leave us with a 25-30 foot par putt to win the hole. We are the last group left... we actually have what you would call a "small gallery" of about 60-70 people standing by the green just watching. So, I line up... and say... lets go flag hunting.

I swing the ball is rising so beautifully... but I am thinking, its gonna be short and get zero roll. Well, its catches the only downslope on the green... sticks and rolls about 3 feet. It was exactly one foot from the hole. People started clapping and yelling for it to roll in.. I actually tipped my cap (didnt have a clue what I should do).. and smiled from ear to ear. That par tap in won us the tourney and won us a $500 cash prize in which we donated back to the team.

Definitely a great feeling on a shot that should be executed time after time.

Driver: Callaway FT-iZ 10*  I  2 Hybrid: Nike VR  I  3&4 Hybrid: Nike Sumo SQ  I  Irons: Ping G10 5-PW, LW,  I  52* & 62*: GigaGolf SGS  I  Putter: Cleveland BRZ #2  I  White things I chase: Srixon AD333

A nice little push draw driver about 248 in the fairway. Uglied up the rest of the hole but that shot will keep me coming back.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 foot slightly downhill putt for birdie. There was a slight, slight, slight right-to-left break and strong wind in the same direction as the break. I must've read the break for about a full minute and a half and backed away from my putt twice to re-read. (Thank goodness I was playing as a single.) I finally decided to play about 2 inches of break, aiming for the exact high end of the cup. It was a perfect read, I had less than an inch of buffer when the ball dropped in the cup.. Great way to finish the second hole. :-)

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Just played in a scramble at Mirimichi, Justin Timberlakes course.

Hole number 6) Par 5 and our third shot was 147 dead in the wind about 14 mph slightly uphill.  I hit a 6 iron right over a bunker, hit the edge of the green and rolled to 2" from the cup.

Hole number 5) Short Par 4.  My buddy hit a drive dead center of the fairway about 280.  We had 94 yds to the cup.  Everybody missed right off the green.  I can hit my 56 about 85 but we had a slight breeze behind us.  I hit it 3 feet to the left of the cup and caught the slope and rolled to about 10".

That ended on a great note.

Driver: 9.5 Titleist 910, Fairway Woods: G2 3 wood and 5 woods
Irons: Titleist CB712
Wedges: 52 - Vokey, 56 - Vokey Raw,
Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1
Ball: NXT Tour

Played a local course that we usually make it out to a few times a year.  Hole #7 is a short par 4 (playing 274 that day according to my SkyCaddie) with an elevated tee.  For some reason I can almost always drive this green with my 3W.  The green is surrounded by bunkers, so there is little chance of running one on the green.  I hit a long, high shot with a slight draw that headed right toward the middle of the green.  They just aerated the greens last week, so I was able to see the sand splash on the green when it hit.  I thought it hit pin high, but was a bit deeper and rolled off onto the back fringe.  Hit a nice lag putt to about 2 feet and finished that up for a birdie.  Only birdie of the day.

Driver TM Superquad 9.5 w/ V2 stiff
3 Wood Callaway Fusion 13 deg w/ DVS stiff
Hybrid Titleist 585H 19 deg. w/ VS Proto Hybrid 95 stiff
Irons Titleist 735CM 4-PW - Cleveland wedges 52,56,60 deg.
Putter PING CRAZ-E G2i