IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/2/2017 at 2:53 AM, Shorty said:

She's a mess because she knows her squeaky clean image has been tarnished. She cheated and got busted. She didn't like that. 

I wouldn't go as far as @Shorty :whistle:, but I believe her carelessness or lack of discipline in properly marking the ball caught up with her in one of the biggest stages of LPGA.  This has to be traumatic no matter who you are.

If she is smart, she would take this as a learning experience and move forward from here.  She needs to clean-up her lackadaisical ways between the ropes.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, Yukari said:

I wouldn't go as far as @Shorty :whistle:, but I believe her carelessness or lack of discipline in properly marking the ball caught up with her in one of the biggest stages of LPGA.  This has to be traumatic no matter who you are.

If she is smart, she would take this as a learning experience and move forward from here.  She needs to clean-up her lackadaisical ways between the ropes.

Yea, I mean people don't want to call it "cheating" because it makes her sound like a swindler.  However, in the purest of form...what she did(and appears to have been doing) is cheating.  It's not egregious, but nevertheless, its cheating.  As I said before, I can see that she has rationalized it internally that it is not that much of a big deal to push the boundaries of the ball marking rule....but its being vary careless in her respect for the game.  I mean, the game used to not allow marking of the ball at all.  Play it as it lies...but since they they have allowed it to be more of an individual skill game; players(including Lexi) feel like they can push the limits on what marking the ball means.  It is wrong, it is taking an advantage, and however you spin it...its cheating.  I don't think she is a dirty player, but now she knows better....hopefully.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Round 3, Hole 7:

Does she nudge it just closer to the hole by a little after barely picking the ball up and rotating it? (59 minute mark if the video doesn't go there.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

To me, it looks like its a tiny bit closer, but I wouldn't say that view is definitive.  With this, and the other one that was posted here, I'd guess she'd just gotten into a sloppy habit.  I'd imagine she'll be more careful going forward.  At least I hope so.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

This girl is  a deadset cheat. And I would not call cheating a "sloppy habit". It appears that her habit of "marking" the ball when she is close to the hole is SO she can move it forward. You don't need to align a mark for a one foot putt. But she can go all cutesy and say she's always done it. The evidence is plain for all to see.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• Administrator

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't understand this.  "Moving her ball for a 3rd time" from a tournament last year?  Is this poor grammar?  A mistake in the text on the video?  Has she done it again since losing this year's tournament?  

Edited by krupa

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

7 minutes ago, krupa said:

I don't understand this.  "Moving her ball for a 3rd time" from a tournament last year?  Is this poor grammar?  A mistake in the text on the video?  Has she done it again since losing this year's tournament?  

I think its just a 3rd time caught on camera.  She has clearly done it more than the one time is the point.  

Just now, dennyjones said:

It looks to me like she has created a habit, not a good one either.

Exactly.  

It reminds me of the brother of one of the guys I play with.  He's simply incapable of not rolling the ball in the fairway, whether it actually improves his lie, or not.  It's an ingrained part of his routine and he doesn't even realize he's doing it half the time.

You can laugh it off with a 18ish hcp amateur who neither keeps a handicap, nor plays for anything other than his own enjoyment.  Not so much a professional golfer competing for money against other professional golfers.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

The girl's a cheat.

Or truly believes an inch or so here and there is immaterial........time for the Lexi camp to anonymously leak a sex tape.....everything will be forgotten 

Edited by BallStriker

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

1 hour ago, BallStriker said:

Or truly believes an inch or so here and there is immaterial........time for the Lexi camp to anonymously leak a sex tape.....everything will be forgotten 

Not gonna lie, I would watch it

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

20 hours ago, colin007 said:

The girl's a cheat.

Yeah shes  cheat alright and shes good at it.Shes so good at cheating that shes running away with another tourny win and nobody has caught on yet thru 3 rounds. Its amazing how she can cheat so much to make that ball go in the hole so much. I think they need to investigate her balls because they may be remote controlled.

2 hours ago, Aflighter said:

I think they need to investigate her balls

So you're saying..... she's a guy?!!!

Jon

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Aflighter said:

Yeah shes  cheat alright and shes good at it.Shes so good at cheating that shes running away with another tourny win and nobody has caught on yet thru 3 rounds. Its amazing how she can cheat so much to make that ball go in the hole so much. I think they need to investigate her balls because they may be remote controlled.

What's that have to do with anything?

And she's only up by three. That's hardly "running away with it."

5 hours ago, Aflighter said:

Huh?  :hmm:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

5 hours ago, Aflighter said:

So if she won a tournament the fact that she cheats makes the cheating irrelevant?

You are suggesting that the better a player is relative to their opponents the more they are allowed to cheat. Strange logic.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 2128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!