IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Nutsmacker said:

My favorite assessment of this was from Wayne Defrancesco.  If I had a twitter or instragram account I would post this on her page.

Yeah that is pretty spot on. Wayne D has some real good videos out there.

Trollin' is the life

On 3/31/2018 at 7:26 AM, Nutsmacker said:

My favorite assessment of this was from Wayne Defrancesco.  If I had a twitter or instragram account I would post this on her page.

It's hilarious how blatant it is when you see it in slow-mo and close-up.  

FWIW - I'd bet money that privately, to close friends or family or whatever, she's admitted she screwed up and deserved it.  Just my guess. Given that "the golf media" gave her a total pass and treated her like a wronged saint, there was no reason for her to actually come out and say that, though.

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

FWIW - I'd bet money that privately, to close friends or family or whatever, she's admitted she screwed up and deserved it.  Just my guess. Given that "the golf media" gave her a total pass and treated her like a wronged saint, there was no reason for her to actually come out and say that, though.

I doubt it myself. I don’t think she thinks she did anything wrong.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

I doubt it myself. I don’t think she thinks she did anything wrong.

Really?  I mean...she has to have seen that video, right?  How could you watch that and think, "Oh, I've been persecuted!!!"

I think people underestimate how different the things athletes (in all sports) say on-camera are from what they actually think privately.

- John

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Really?  I mean...she has to have seen that video, right?  How could you watch that and think, "Oh, I've been persecuted!!!"

I think people underestimate how different the things athletes (in all sports) say on-camera are from what they actually think privately.

Yes, really. I don’t think she thinks she did anything wrong. At all.

She made a LOT of comments since then. Even acting like a Rules change would have benefited her.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes, really. I don’t think she thinks she did anything wrong. At all.

A co-worker recently told me "I don't think you understand how stupid people can be."  So...maybe you're right. ;-)

- John

5th Playoff hole underway.

Pernilla's pre shot routine is really aggravating me.  Her group was warned and put on the clock a number of times.

I was rooting for Jennifer Song, but that's out.....

2 holes later......is it possible to put a playoff group on the clock?  Cripes

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

• 2 months later...

Before she got caught so publicly, I believe she routinely moved her ball when marking. To avoid spike marks or whatever. That's what it looked like if you watch the whole video of her first putt, approach to the ball, hesitation, then mark/move it. Looked like a practiced routine. 

On 6/26/2018 at 12:18 PM, reidsou said:

Before she got caught so publicly, I believe she routinely moved her ball when marking. To avoid spike marks or whatever. That's what it looked like if you watch the whole video of her first putt, approach to the ball, hesitation, then mark/move it. Looked like a practiced routine. 

Of course she did it regularly. It is cheating. It was blatant.

Right or wrong (mostly wrong), here is the reality. 100% of tournament golfers have done what she did to some degree.  I don't remember a specific instance but I am sure I have moved the ball slightly out of perforation or moved the ball to a place that was less likely to move when I addressed a putt on fast scuffed up greens.  Very few current PGA pros didn't side with Lexi Thompson because they know it could easily have been them called out. Only Phil had the integrity to directly say he has done the exact same thing.

Unless this has been a common complaint against her it would have been better to deal with it privately given how pervasive this is. There is no doubt in my mind you would find plenty of instances of Arnie, Tiger, Jack, Player, Watson, Norman if the cameras were on them  closely every time they marked. There are times where it is difficult to actually put the ball in the same place without it moving.

7 minutes ago, Fidelio said:

Of course she did it regularly. It is cheating. It was blatant.

Right or wrong (mostly wrong), here is the reality. 100% of tournament golfers have done what she did to some degree.  I don't remember a specific instance but I am sure I have moved the ball slightly out of perforation or moved the ball to a place that was less likely to move when I addressed a putt on fast scuffed up greens.  Very few current PGA pros didn't side with Lexi Thompson because they know it could easily have been them called out. Only Phil had the integrity to directly say he has done the exact same thing.

Unless this has been a common complaint against her it would have been better to deal with it privately given how pervasive this is. There is no doubt in my mind you would find plenty of instances of Arnie, Tiger, Jack, Player, Watson, Norman if the cameras were on them  closely every time they marked. There are times where it is difficult to actually put the ball in the same place without it moving.

I'd say you probably picked a list of people who HAVE had a lot of their ball mark/replacements recorded during play. The main difference may be the level of fidelity that the cameras were capable of. Even then, people have called in about Tiger for other infractions, I would assume they would have been quick to do so if they saw him do this same thing.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

2 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I'd say you probably picked a list of people who HAVE had a lot of their ball mark/replacements recorded during play. The main difference may be the level of fidelity that the cameras were capable of. Even then, people have called in about Tiger for other infractions, I would assume they would have been quick to do so if they saw him do this same thing.

It is rare for televised coverage to show the player marking and replacing the ball where it would be obvious that the ball has moved.  Even Thompson, with that close up camera shot probably would have gotten away it if it didn't look exactly like she was trying to move the ball out of a spike mark. She didn't line the ball up  or back away. She basically picked up and moved it and initially was moving it a couple of inches.

8 minutes ago, Fidelio said:

It is rare for televised coverage to show the player marking and replacing the ball where it would be obvious that the ball has moved.  Even Thompson, with that close up camera shot probably would have gotten away it if it didn't look exactly like she was trying to move the ball out of a spike mark. She didn't line the ball up  or back away. She basically picked up and moved it and initially was moving it a couple of inches.

I've seen that done, the quick mark then replace, multiple times and I don't even watch golf on TV all that much. Not saying it's all the time, but enough times that you would have expected someone to be called on it in the past.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

48 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

The fidelity is one part of it, but I think the bigger reason she was caught was because of how little she moved the ball when she picked it up.  If she'd have just stood up it wouldn't have been so obvious and probably would have never been noticed.

Of course, that she didn't, in and of itself, kind of points to the cheating aspect of it; because if you're not going to bother to clean it or something, then why are you even marking it at all?

14 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Of course, that she didn't, in and of itself, kind of points to the cheating aspect of it; because if you're not going to bother to clean it or something, then why are you even marking it at all?

They'll mark it so they can line it up again. 

Colin P.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

They'll mark it so they can line it up again. 

I was referring specifically to Lexi's incident there.  She didn't line it up - she wasn't even standing behind it.  She didn't clean it either.  She just spun it and moved it.

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

The fidelity is one part of it, but I think the bigger reason she was caught was because of how little she moved the ball when she picked it up.  If she'd have just stood up it wouldn't have been so obvious and probably would have never been noticed.

That’s what I wondered and really to me the only conclusion was that she moved it on purpose to avoid something. Pure cheat. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

21 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

That’s what I wondered and really to me the only conclusion was that she moved it on purpose to avoid something. Pure cheat. 

And @Golfingdad

There are a couple points in her defense to the last couple posts.

1.  I sometimes lift the ball a couple inches, spin it, and put it back down to check if there is anything on the ball that needs to be cleaned off.  So that move isn’t too unusual.

2.  I just rewatched a video of the incident that was very close up with good resolution.  For the life of me I couldn’t see a thing wrong with the green in front of her.  It looked like a pool table.

Was it her first or second putt?  If it was her first it would give more credibility to seeing if the ball needed to be cleaned — but not really taking much time with that since it was such a short putt.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, allenc said:

And @Golfingdad

There are a couple points in her defense to the last couple posts.

1.  I sometimes lift the ball a couple inches, spin it, and put it back down to check if there is anything on the ball that needs to be cleaned off.  So that move isn’t too unusual.

2.  I just rewatched a video of the incident that was very close up with good resolution.  For the life of me I couldn’t see a thing wrong with the green in front of her.  It looked like a pool table.

Was it her first or second putt?  If it was her first it would give more credibility to seeing if the ball needed to be cleaned — but not really taking much time with that since it was such a short putt.

It was her second putt. And I agree, I couldn’t see anything on the green either. But I also just don’t see any justification for her moving the ball by that much having simply picked it up and put it back down. Right?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2128 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!