IGNORED

Lexi Thompson's 4 Stroke Penalty at the ANA

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 2127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

She cheated and got caught. She needs to deal with it and move on kind of like the Patriots had to do.  Now did anyone see The Big Easy call a penalty on himself after he needed to identify his ball today? He had to lift it to id it, chipped in for eagle and called a penalty on himself claiming the ball came out of the rough too well that it wasn't played from the original lie. Good on Ernie, I'd love to drink some beers with that guy.

Trollin' is the life

There is one major reason i'm totally against these call-ins, and that is because not every shot is shown on TV. I think it's totally unfair, because it sets up targets on the backs of the best who are in the limelight, and gives a free pass to those who aren't getting the coverage that the best are. 

Im sure this has been mentioned already, but I didn't want to read all 50 pages. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

Im sure this has been mentioned already, but I didn't want to read all 50 pages. 

You'd be correct. And this topic is better for that…

Enjoy. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Lexi is refusing to talk to any media members prior to the next women's major, the Women's PGA Championship.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2017/6/27/sigh-lexi-declines-to-talk-to-all-media-pre-kpmg.html#comments

Some comments there resonate with me:

Not good but this is the age of the "safe space." Had she called a penalty on herself it would have enhanced her image and elevated her integrity as a byproduct of winning the event. Lexi and the LPGA went apoplectic because video evidence had the odor of intentional.

I'm not so sure about her total innocence anymore on how she's handled the situation.

Lexi could have put an end to the story by admitting that she made a mistake when she replaced her ball on the green. She could have chalked it up to inattention, the heat-of-the-moment, etc and moved on. And, in the process, most people would have accepted her explanation, respected her for her honest, and felt some degree of sympathy for her. Instead, she's persisted in her 'they done me wrong' approach which only adds interest to the story. It's a shame because she seems like a very likable young lady.

Once She saw the video She would have known it too. She broke the rules as they stand. Had she accepted what happened and she was at fault, it wouldn't have come to this. It doesn't matter she found out the next day, it happend. Instead she feels as Greg said, hard done by and needs to grow up, accept it and move on. No way could any respecting golfer accept the trophy knowing they broke the rules if for instance they couldn't use the video the next day.

Atta gurl. It wasn't enough to act like a petulant spoiled child when confronted with proof about amateur ball marking practices. 

Now it's shunning the only folks who actually listen to you speak about a silly game and then share it with the public.

@Greg is right...had she just admitted she marked the ball incorrectly, due to lack of attention, or whatever, this would no longer be an issue. Every time she avoids the media for the forseeable future is going to lead this conversation.

Yep. I too dislike how she handled everything.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Right or wrong, I find myself rooting against her now...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Me too. But just for a little while longer. No longer than through 2017, for sure. And maybe only another event or two… or three.

She was disrespectful, petulant, and childish.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Got nothing to do with this.

Maybe you can't, but I can have different emotions and views toward different things.

I can feel sorry for her and her mother while still feeling the same way about the golf incident.

I don't think @David in FL is rooting against her in life either.

The Golf Central folks also said she should have taken all questions and put it behind her.

11 hours ago, David in FL said:

Me too

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe you can't, but I can have different emotions and views toward different things.

I can feel sorry for her and her mother while still feeling the same way about the golf incident.

I don't think @David in FL is rooting against her in life either

Me three

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

The Golf Central folks also said she should have taken all questions and put it behind her.

Sure it does. You brought up she wasn't talking to the media. The article explains why

she isn't talking to the media....about anything.

I don't expect any Lexi basher to change their point of view, just pointing out there is an explanation.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, RH31 said:

Sure it does. You brought up she wasn't talking to the media. The article explains why

The article gives the excuse that it's the reason why, but we don't have to believe everything an agent tells reporters. And… she'll have to talk to reporters if she plays well enough to be in or near the lead.

3 minutes ago, RH31 said:

I don't expect any Lexi basher to change their point of view, just pointing out there is an explanation.

I'm not a Lexi basher. I think she breached the rules and I think she handled it poorly afterward. Since then there has been evidence that she plays fast and loose with her ball marking. I hope it's stopped, but the recent losses after leading events feel a bit like karma.

The folks on Golf Central are apparently "Lexi bashers" too since they said she should have sat there and answered any questions they had for her so that she could clear it from weighing on everything and so she could go back to focusing on golf and her mother.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Of course not

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

Ugh.

• Virtually everyone believes that she incurred the original penalty. (Because she did.)
  • Given that, she also logically incurred the second penalty when she signed the incorrect scorecard.
  • She was not a victim. She was the perpetrator.
  • I still hate the new rules for both incorrect scorecards and “viewer call-ins.” Particularly since the “call” likely came from a person in the know.

But at least we won’t have to hear about it much after this. Unfortunately the rules changes are still with us. And will be. :-(

P.S. Roberto deVicenzo wasn’t a penalty. He signed for a higher score.

I have no opinion of Lexi either way but I have no problem with viewers calling in. The notion that we don't film every shot from every player holds no water.

The cops don't catch every drunk driver.

I do believe that after play is finished on Sunday and the competition is closed, no more adjustments should be made to the standings.

....and WTH was she doing with that coin anyway?....on a 15 inch tap-in?

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

1 hour ago, NEhomer said:

I have no opinion of Lexi either way but I have no problem with viewers calling in. The notion that we don't film every shot from every player holds no water.

The cops don't catch every drunk driver.

I do believe that after play is finished on Sunday and the competition is closed, no more adjustments should be made to the standings.

....and WTH was she doing with that coin anyway?....on a 15 inch tap-in?

At least once they change the spike mark rule we won't have to worry about that with her anymore

Colin P.

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Ugh.

• Virtually everyone believes that she incurred the original penalty. (Because she did.)
  • Given that, she also logically incurred the second penalty when she signed the incorrect scorecard.
  • She was not a victim. She was the perpetrator.
  • I still hate the new rules for both incorrect scorecards and “viewer call-ins.” Particularly since the “call” likely came from a person in the know.

But at least we won’t have to hear about it much after this. Unfortunately the rules changes are still with us. And will be. :-(

P.S. Roberto deVicenzo wasn’t a penalty. He signed for a higher score.

"I'm just happy the rule changed so nobody else can be put through what I was put through last year," said Thompson.

WTF? After having a change of heart on this matter some time ago (thank you Iacas and others) I guess she’s still playing the victim card. Nothing happened to her. She broke a rule (cheat or carelessness no matter which) and was penalized per the rules. 

And now she seeks ‘revenge.’ Revenge for what? Busted for breaking a rule? Unbelievable. Sorry, not a Lexi fan anymore. Was gonna let it go but her latest interview killed that for me.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

"I'm just happy the rule changed so nobody else can be put through what I was put through last year," said Thompson.

WTF? After having a change of heart on this matter some time ago (thank you Iacas and others) I guess she’s still playing the victim card. Nothing happened to her. She broke a rule (cheat or carelessness no matter which) and was penalized per the rules. 

And now she seeks ‘revenge.’ Revenge for what? Busted for breaking a rule? Unbelievable. Sorry, not a Lexi fan anymore. Was gonna let it go but her latest interview killed that for me.

Correct. 

For over a year the media have referred to her blatant cheating as some kind of ill-luck or misfortune. She refuses to own it and is consequently the LPGA player I root against the most. She's a spoilt, arrogant and entitled brat.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 2127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!