IGNORED

As my scoring improves, when do I move to the Blues?

CCC
Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a 22 handicap I would probably suggest staying where you are for a little while longer. Longer tees can make the game significantly harder (course layout can change in ways you wouldn't think about - Bunkers now in your driver landing area, longer carries, etc.) and it's no fun for you or the people behind you if are struggling. Once you improve a bit more I would say it depends on how far you hit the ball relative to the total yardage and yardage of each hole. For example, if you play a course that is 7000 yards and it has a couple par 4s that are 450 yards. You average 250 yards off the tee and get to one of these holes and it is into the wind. Good luck reaching in two. It's probably going to take a perfect drive and a perfect 3 wood to get home. When I am able to practice more (aka not live in NYC, worst city for golf by the way) and get down into single digits this is usually my cutoff. I will not play from a set of tees that has a 450 yard par 4 unless it is downhill. 

As a new golfer I regularly played the front tees and found it much more enjoyable than even the white tees. As I improved I gradually moved back to the white tees (6200 yards in Texas on a course with rock hard fairways) and continued to enjoy myself. Soon after I joined up with a group in which everyone wanted to play the blue tees. At this course they were approximately 6600 yards. I didn't realize it at the time but I was the best golfer in the group (not saying much at the time) and all of us were absolutely miserable the entire round. Playing a hole in which you slightly hit driver and then need to hit 3 wood into the green is miserable. 

• Upvote 2

I believe in playing from the set of tees that best matches my length, not playing a certain color.  I know there are a few formulas out there that can give you a suggested course length, you should try looking them up.

Another indicator I find to be helpful is the position of the fairway bunkers.  If I can bomb it over the top of them all day, I'm too far up.  If I can't reach them, I'm too far back. 

Randal

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

play from where it's FUN, (and doesn't slow up the pace of play unreasonably)

For me, I like a nice mix of wedge approaches and mid and long irons.  If I had to only hit long irons to greens a whole round, it would be less fun.....And a course with ONLY long par 3's kinda stinks too.

I 'should' play the blues on the course I played last weekend.  Just for fun I played whites.  That was a LOT of fun, this course the blues and whites play like totally different courses (it seems).  It's fun to mix it up at any level.

Bill - 

@CCC I was reminded of this thread yesterday as I came upon #18 at a course I play often.  Only 20 yards difference between the Black and Blue tees... and big difference.  Blue tee allows aggressive to conservative tee shots.  Black tee offers either a go big, or a big lay up (which still requires accuracy with a long iron).

1st pic, tee shot from Black.  2nd pic, tee shot from Blue.

IMG_5455.JPG

IMG_5456.JPG

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Thank you all for your advice. This topic was not, entirely, meant only for my situation, but for everyone.

I will be happy when I can move back to the Blues and still shoot in the 80's.

And then there are the Golds...... I can not even imagine that. Maybe some day. :)

3 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

@CCC I was reminded of this thread yesterday as I came upon #18 at a course I play often.  Only 20 yards difference between the Black and Blue tees... and big difference.  Blue tee allows aggressive to conservative tee shots.  Black tee offers either a go big, or a big lay up (which still requires accuracy with a long iron).

1st pic, tee shot from Black.  2nd pic, tee shot from Blue.

IMG_5455.JPG

IMG_5456.JPG

I'll take the Blue. :)

Edited by CCC

3 minutes ago, CCC said:

I'll take the Blue. :)

Haha, yea.  Depending on how the driver is looking on the range while warming up, determines whether or not I'll give the Black tees a go on this course on a given day.  I gave it a go yesterday, and just caught the edge, winding up in the drink (it's a 250 yd carry).  Oh well.

I realize that's Black vs. Blue, but I thought it might help with something to consider when playing different tees.  As others noted, give it a try every once in a while and see how it goes.  Keep us posted on the experience/ outcome!

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, CCC said:

It's not that simple.

LOL

Great question. I see way too many guys using the blue tees who shouldn't. Usually they're large, athletic types. I was once large and athletic and, fortunately, knew better not to dupe myself into thinking that made me a big hitter. I still play the whites and enjoying the game. My distance is improving and I'd put myself at about a 12 or 13. I could play the blues if my group was playing them. I haven't made the change yet, though.

I love that Geico ad where the caveman crashes the cart then asks if they're "playing the tips today". Makes me laugh every time.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

On 4/22/2017 at 8:38 PM, CCC said:

I'm starting to hit the ball longer and scoring better - from the White Tees. When should I make the decision to move back to the longer Blue Tees?

What course yardage can you play comfortably?  You should target that yardage and make your decision based on this.  Back tees on some courses can be very short. 

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

2 hours ago, BuckeyeNut said:

What course yardage can you play comfortably?  You should target that yardage and make your decision based on this.  Back tees on some courses can be very short. 

I'm also now reminded of the 5 iron x 36 guideline for appropriate course yardage too.  That is also worth trying.

I used to mix up the tees I played in a round, some holes I'd hit one up some I'd hit from the tips until I was ready to start playing all the way back.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

I didn't move back until I was consistent enough with my ball striking that playing from tee X led to a lot of shorter than it should be approach shots on every par 4 but the two longest. Wasn't just whaling away on driver though, when I found myself hitting 5i GW and making a par on the short par 3's nearly every time I knew I could hack it back a tee.

The stats out there show many common elements between handicap ranges. For me that consistency came around 12 ish handicap. But it was more than distance I was playing decent enough golf that I could use a little strategy. But it was a moving target based on the course. I went from 6300 to 6600 on the course I played most and that is where I stayed until it was time to consider a change. 

Dave :-)

Note: This thread is 2563 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!