IGNORED

As my scoring improves, when do I move to the Blues?

CCC
Note: This thread is 2554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm starting to hit the ball longer and scoring better - from the White Tees. When should I make the decision to move back to the longer Blue Tees?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Distance plays a major part in playing from a longer set of tees.  On a par 4 of 420 yards, what clubs would you use (assuming the fairway is nice and wide with no trouble)?   The reason I ask, although you may be able to hit  420 yard with a driver and 5 iron, you may find it's more enjoyable to hit a driver / 7 iron and score better.    

It doesn't hurt to vary tees, even playing from the forward tees.   I play mostly from the white tees but last year I played from the blues and forward tees for a different look and feel.  The course looks and plays much different from different tees.   

Your score should dictate your tee.   There are a few courses around my area that enforce this premise.  Higher handicap players play the forward tees and the lower handicap players may choose to play from the back tees.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

52 minutes ago, CCC said:

I'm starting to hit the ball longer and scoring better - from the White Tees. When should I make the decision to move back to the longer Blue Tees?

I think it would depend on the course.  The longer a course, the more difficult it can be of course.  But something else to consider are the angles, hazards, etc. that come into play as you move to a different set of tees.  I first learned this a long time ago, at a course called Mystic Rocks, a bit south of Pittsburgh.  The course was a totally different animal from the back tees.  There is a course I play out here often, that it isn't very long, but one has to be able to execute all the different shots from the back tees (I don't score well from the back tees).  There are also courses that don't change much as distance is added (one out here that I play just as well from 6700 or 7000).

The best way to find out if you're ready, is give it a go for a round.  What course do you play most?  I'd be curious to check out the layout online, if it's out there.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CCC said:

Try it now and see if you enjoy the challenge it presents and if you don't then move up again.  It's really that simple. :)

• Upvote 2

(edited)

It's not that simple.

Edited by CCC
It's a challenge.....

12 hours ago, CCC said:

When shooting in the mid 70's from the whites gets too easy or boring....

Try it.  You get to use other clubs.  My club champion advised me I must be able to carry to the green at least 50 yards.  We have some water and waste areas to carry with yardage books in the carts to reference. 

13 hours ago, CCC said:

You're hitting it longer and scoring better, so I don't see any reason not to move back?

11 hours ago, CCC said:

It's not that simple.

Sure, it's just a matter of personal preference for you at this point.

From my experience, most golfers who score even +22 are fine with whatever tees they play. It just takes them an extra stroke on a few holes to get near the greens.

if you like the feeling of being close to the greens on your approaches then stay forward. If you like to use longer clubs for your approaches, then move back.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

12 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Try it now and see if you enjoy the challenge it presents and if you don't then move up again.  It's really that simple. :)

I'm with this. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Consider me to be the quiet voice of (possible) dissent.

It's important to remember that you're not the only one on the course, and what you do affects every player behind you.  While it's true that you may find that you enjoy the "challenge" of playing from tees that are longer, if doing so impacts your pace of play, it will do so for those behind you as well.  

In my experience, most amateurs, especially those with higher handicaps, should be considering moving up a set of tees, not back.  Kudos to you for playing what sounds to be the appropriate set of tees for your skill level.  

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

For myself it depends on the course length. If it looks like I'll be hitting 5 or 6i into most par fours I'll play up a set. Tee color is meaningless, length is

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, CCC said:

For the last couple of years, I've started to challenge myself by mixing in rounds from the longer tees to go along with those from the shorter tees -  which of course allow me to score better.

There's also nothing wrong with playing from a mix of tees within the same practice round.

If you do decide to go all out and move back, I'd consider a couple of things...

1. What @David in FL said about possibly holding others up.

Maybe play those tees when the course is less crowded?

2. Get mentally prepared for some higher scores.

For me, there is a substantial difference in difficulty and the higher rating and slope don't always reflect the difference. This can be a real kick in the nuts as far as my confidence.

But everyone is not the same. The added distance might be more beneficial to lowering your HC.

The fact of the matter is that by playing from 6,000 yards, which for me is a challenge, I'm forced to use my driver on many more holes, forced to use my woods off the deck, and forced to hit greens with my mid irons. The only way I improve those skills is by using them during a round.

Jon

That is the nice thing about golf. You can move up or back when ever you want to as long as you are enjoying playing at that set of tees. When I was younger I played at the back set of tees, but as I got older I found it was more enjoyable to move forward and now I am playing the senior set of tees for the last half dozen years and enjoying the game as much now as 5o years ago.

• Upvote 1

Remember golf is a game... entertainment... not work.  Play where the game give you the least amount of frustration and the most enjoyment.

Do you have a regular group you join?  If so, what tees do they play?  Sometimes it can make a negative impression on the other folks in the group if one plays from back tees and doesn't have the game to do so.

Don't let the ego trip of "playing the tips" negatively affect pace of play. 

All that said, I enjoy playing from different sets of tees to change up the game.  I'm 70 1/2.  My weekday group plays from the "geezer tees".  I join them and we have a blast.  My weekend group is young flat-bellies and they play from back tees.  I... sorta... still have the game to play from back there.  I can still compete with them from there and keep up pace of play.  It changes the clubs you hit into greens and, therefore, adds some  "adventure" to the game. 

Whatever you decide, keep it fun!!!  The Game of Golf is something you can enjoy for many, many years.  Play from where it is most enjoyable to you while respecting the others on the course.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, CCC said:

It's not that simple.

If golf was "Simple" it wouldn't be golf. Golf is a game we play for fun, the Pros play for a living.

As a 22 handicap, a shorter course will build your confidence as you become better.
Playing a longer course requires a great deal of skill and knowledge about the game.

As a suggestion play a few holes at the Blue's during a round on occasion and see how you do. Then when you feel up for the challenge try a full round.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

At my old home club I always told myself I'd move back to the Tournament tees (the "tips") when I could shoot even par from the Member tees.  That never happened so never moved back.  That said, maybe try it out once and see how you score.  I think it mostly depends on your comfort level and ability with a longer club or two for your approach and your short game to get up/down if you miss the green.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

7 hours ago, shanksalot said:

That is the nice thing about golf. You can move up or back when ever you want to as long as you are enjoying playing at that set of tees. When I was younger I played at the back set of tees, but as I got older I found it was more enjoyable to move forward and now I am playing the senior set of tees for the last half dozen years and enjoying the game as much now as 5o years ago.

Yup, quite simply. :)

I started doing this last year when playing rounds with my dad, and it did make golf a lot more enjoyable..  

now this is my 2cents,  play from the Tee's you are normally playing at, and then once or twice a month or every 4th time out, play from the Tips..... and see how much of a difference there is..  

It is what it is

Note: This thread is 2554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!