IGNORED

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

whip_it_out
Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

120 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

Not possible to walk at the 3 courses I play most. Some holes are hundreds of yards apart at one course, tunnels go under streets and around houses. Riding is mandatory despite quite few holes being path only.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not possible to walk at the 3 courses I play most. Some holes are hundreds of yards apart at one course, tunnels go under streets and around houses. Riding is mandatory despite quite few holes being path only.

Its not that it isnt possible, the course simply mandates carts to speed up play and so that they can make more money.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

The only time I walk is when playing alone because it helps slow me down, typically resulting in a better score. Playing alone and riding in a cart is just too fast of a pace for me and I begin to rush myself. Also, it keeps me from having to play through every two-some that's in front of me... Also, I don't often walk 18 hole rounds but that is partially because I don't often play 18 hole rounds alone.

I do find it very peaceful though walking a late afternoon round by myself and just enjoy the nice weather. Last fall I would go to a nice local muni after getting off work for the "twilight hours" to get a discounted rate and walk 9 holes for a significant discount. You can save some serious money by walking and playing afternoons during the middle of the week. I would play 9 holes for $8. The same course on Saturday morning with a cart is $50.

Its not that it isnt possible, the course simply mandates carts to speed up play and so that they can make more money.

Sure it wouldn't be impossible for the sadistic types that would find traversing over miles of hills with clubs enjoyable. It is more than the situation it wasn't designed to walk. A walker would need to walk the path on nearly every hole because the course winds through reedy wetland, not one footbridge out there. Tee boxes are patches of grass in native areas. No kidding it would probably take 3 hours to walk the course without golfing. But it ins't about money. Fees are $35 peak 18 and $22 after 3PM. One of the cheapest courses I play.

Dave :-)

I've never played a "mandatory cart" course here in the UK and I much prefer carrying than riding/pushing as it means my clubs are with me for whatever shot I take.

If I rode, stopped on the cart path, walked to my ball with a 7i and upon getting there realised the wind was more than expected and I needed a 6i or 5i I'd have to walk back over to the cart, swap clubs, walk back to the ball and play my shot which wastes time (this is even worse if the player has a high enough handicap that they whiffle a ball 20 yards and then have to mess with clubs on top of that). If I'm carrying I get to my ball, put my bag down and any club change takes 3 seconds instead of a minute.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I always walk so I probably wouldn't play a course that requires carts (although I have seen them). For some reason I just really hate riding. I play too fast and I just feel uncomfortable in a cart. I like to feel the ground under my feet and take in the whole course. For me, it's just more enjoyable to walk. Another reason I like to walk is the ability to take my entire set of clubs with me wherever I am on the course. Just a personal preference.

The only time I walk is when playing alone because it helps slow me down, typically resulting in a better score. Playing alone and riding in a cart is just too fast of a pace for me and I begin to rush myself. Also, it keeps me from having to play through every two-some that's in front of me... Also, I don't often walk 18 hole rounds but that is partially because I don't often play 18 hole rounds alone.

I do find it very peaceful though walking a late afternoon round by myself and just enjoy the nice weather. Last fall I would go to a nice local muni after getting off work for the "twilight hours" to get a discounted rate and walk 9 holes for a significant discount. You can save some serious money by walking and playing afternoons during the middle of the week. I would play 9 holes for $8. The same course on Saturday morning with a cart is $50.

Pretty much how I feel.  I walk a local muni par 3 course when I am by myself.  More in practice mode.  I don't mind the time between shots, I feel it gives me time to mellow out and not be to happy about the good or mad about the bad, a skill I have been trying to carrry over to my regular game in a cart.   I carry my bag and enjoy the exercise.

I much prefer to walk. I often ask at the pro shop (If it's a course I'm not familiar with) whether the course is walk-able or not.

I enjoy the exercise and the overall feel of it. I believe I believe the most I've walked was 45 holes in one day.

I definitely cannot say I enjoy riding.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Interesting responses....a question I have and please forgive me if I should know this (once again, just walked my first round using push cart)...if there is a 90 degree rule in effect does that only apply to motorized carts? Or does 90 degree rule also apply to walkers who are not carrying their bag? (using push / pull cart).

I know the motorized carts can cause major damage to the fairways during certain conditions when 90 degree rule is set but I would think a push or pull cart would not have the same effect? Although I could be wrong ;) Please enlighten me!

Interesting responses....a question I have and please forgive me if I should know this (once again, just walked my first round using push cart)...if there is a 90 degree rule in effect does that only apply to motorized carts? Or does 90 degree rule also apply to walkers who are not carrying their bag? (using push / pull cart).

I know the motorized carts can cause major damage to the fairways during certain conditions when 90 degree rule is set but I would think a push or pull cart would not have the same effect? Although I could be wrong ;) Please enlighten me!

Dunno the "right" answer to this, but in all the years I've been playing, people with push/pull carts/trolleys don't follow those rules. I'm guessing not nearly heavy enough, unless you've got some gold bars in your bag or something, in that case, what the hell are you doing with gold in your bag?

I've never played a "mandatory cart" course here in the UK and I much prefer carrying than riding/pushing as it means my clubs are with me for whatever shot I take.

If I rode, stopped on the cart path, walked to my ball with a 7i and upon getting there realised the wind was more than expected and I needed a 6i or 5i I'd have to walk back over to the cart, swap clubs, walk back to the ball and play my shot which wastes time (this is even worse if the player has a high enough handicap that they whiffle a ball 20 yards and then have to mess with clubs on top of that). If I'm carrying I get to my ball, put my bag down and any club change takes 3 seconds instead of a minute.

I always take 3 clubs if away from bag and not certain, walking or riding.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I used to ride every round and thought I'd never like golf enough to walk.  But then we had a cart path only day and a buddy of mine convinced me that riding in a card on a cartpathonly day was the worst way to play golf.  We grabbed a couple push carts and were off - and I've never looked back.  I've walked over 80% of my rounds since then.

I am glad I get exercise from the walking, but it is not why I do it.  I like the idea of hitting my ball and then walking right to it and hitting it again.  I also like having my clubs near me instead of over by the cart path.  And I have come to appreciate it from a purists standpoint.  It is how they did it in the old days and how pro golf is played now.  Probably college and high school too.

I live in Atlanta and there are plenty of courses that would be walking prohibitive due to hills and such.  But the one I play most often is near the river and parts of it are flat.  Also there isn't much distance green to tee.  Some courses were simply meant to be ridden.

The main two drawbacks I've found about walking are that I don't have divot sand on me and I can't really help another player search for lost balls if they are on the other side of the fairway.

I find it odd that you are into fitness and running and yet you are super winded when you come to hit your ball.  I don't experience this except on the toughest of hills.  I'm thinking maybe the course you walked is just too hilly for walking.  I wouldn't want to be that winded trying to hit every time.

I use a 4-wheel push cart.  I don't enjoy the experience of shouldering and de-shouldering the bag every time.  To me, the push cart is the next best thing to having a caddy. I do take my push cart on the cart path only holes and have never given it a second thought.  No one has ever said anything to me.  I don't take it on the green obviously and I don't take it near super wet areas where it could cause a rut or anything.  I've definitely never damaged a golf course with it.

I'm also curious about the extra time you say you had between shots.  In this case you walked in 3.5 hours but often you ride in 4.5 hours.  So the time between shots would actually be less than some of your rounds.

I walk most of the time only because I feel it helps my lower back stay loose. Plus I like having all my clubs with me the entire time.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I prefer walking but when required, a cart is fine.  I walk about 70% of the time.  Eschewing a cart saves a fair amount of money over a golf season, too!

Your experience of walking too fast was interesting.  I have never noted my hearted pumping or that "exercise rush" you described, except after climbing a steep hill.  My thought is you are correct about walking too fast.  Don't stroll along but golf isn't a race, either.  I find when I play alone my tendency is too move along too fast and not take a moment now & then to rest.  My legs get a bit tired toward the end of the round and that typically results in poor swings down the stretch.

As to having too much time to think, that has not been my problem.  I like walking as it gives me a break between shots.  I can cool down from a poor hit as well as bask in the warm glow of a well struck shot for a while when walking.  It also improves my game.  First, it is easier to keep track of your ball.  Rather than shoot off to another player's ball, you walk directly toward your own.  There are times in a cart that I get disoriented from driving to other player's shots.  When it is my turn who the heck remembers where I hit it?  Second, while walking to my ball I feel the wind direction, note whether the next shot is up or down hill and generally think about the strategy for the next shot.  Zooming up in a cart doesn't give me proper time to think.  Just instinctively hitting a shot may help you but it doesn't work with me.

Brian Kuehn

I walk unless the course requires carts. To me you loose the experience of playing a golf course riding in a cart.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Your experience of walking too fast was interesting.  I have never noted my hearted pumping or that "exercise rush" you described, except after climbing a steep hill.

Or running the length of one par 5 to retrieve your left behind club, then running back plus the extra hole to catch up and then take a swing. It's not that bad once you settle a bit. Speed golfers seem to do okay.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

I always take 3 clubs if away from bag and not certain, walking or riding.

I totally get that for the US but a lot of the time over here the courses are wet, soggy, muddy etc and I hate (hate!) getting my grips dirty; I'd much rather walk and put my clubs down within a few feet of my ball to pick and choose clubs quickly than try and wrangle my club OCD. lol

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Recently started walking (with my Cadillac of a push cart: Clicgear 3.5+ lol) and I'm loving it. So far I have played quite well, relatively speaking, while walking. Particularly on par 4's and 5's I felt that walking up to my ball for my 2nd and 3rd shots helped a lot. I played La Mirada (southern California), and for those who know the course it has A LOT of slopes and hills and walking helped me see the upcoming slopes, and think about were I wanted to hit the next shot (or, really, where I DIDN'T lol).  Also got my heart going :) Overall it was just much more fun and relaxing IMO. Of course, everyone is different and not able to walk due to age, health, etc. While I'm young and in good shape, I will walk.

I walk unless the course requires carts. To me you loose the experience of playing a golf course riding in a cart.

Well said. My eyes have been opened to this after carting around like a frat boy for the first 10 months playing this great game.

Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!