IGNORED

The very last stroke/strike/full swing.........

BuckeyeNut
Note: This thread is 2525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Please share the story if you have one.  My story...I was playing a 56 degree wedge to the green on a full shot from 100yds.......   I made a swing........I struck the BALL.....then I was highly distracted because my club became immediately light....and a tumbling object stole my attention.   YES.........the clubhead snapped.....did I hit a green in REG.............yes, the ball landed to within 10' of the cup.

snappedWedge_zpst3gxphn9.png

Yes......the shaft snapped...........still a GIR..LOL   

Easy PAR!!  LOL

Edited by BuckeyeNut

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I have way too many driver breaks but they are the typical ones. My favorite break story would be my old 3 iron cobra. The set originally came with 3-9, pw & sw, but within a few months the 3 iron broke.

I brought my buddy to a driving range to wack some balls and for the fun of it, I decided to do a happy gilmore shot with my 3 iron. I swear, I hit that ball square on the face and I hit it really hard, problem was the head snapped perfectly at the hozel and went 200yds to the middle of the range. I have no clue where the ball went but it had to have gone far. I never went after it because the grass was long and I never hit it well. I got a hybrid soon after. It was a weird feeling when you are really going after one to finish with a really light club. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've had epoxy failures twice with irons and twice with drivers.

When I was younger I had a set of the Callaway XJ clubs, the junior set they had at the time. I sent a clubhead flying at the driving range when the epoxy failed, and it just needed re-gluing.

More recently my set of s55's had an epoxy failure on the 9 iron when I was hitting an approach shot at my local course. It was a shot into the wind on a frozen fairway, so I put it back in my stance and hit down hard. Ball hit the green, and my clubhead went about 100 yards down the fairway after it.

Most destructive, and second-worst timed, occurrence for me had to be the epoxy failure in the center of my Bi-Matrix shaft that happened when I was warming up for a tournament. On the driving range, hitting some nice shots, and the epoxy connecting the steel to the graphite portion of the shaft failed. Driver clubhead goes flying about 200 feet into the air and lands in a dry riverbed of stones. Cracked the thing open like an egg. 

Worst timing on an epoxy failure for me was when I was 5 under through 27 holes of a 54 hole city championship. Epoxy failed on the 9th tee, but the clubhead didn't separate and I didn't notice the failure until the 4th hole the next day. In the meantime I was hitting snap hook after snap hook and had piddled away my 4 stroke lead. Ended up placing in 6th place after getting a replacement driver for the second portion of my third round. 

The last year has been really unlucky for me. The last 3 of those failures all happened in the last calendar year, with factory epoxy. Makes me wonder if I started doing something weird to cause it recently.

7 hours ago, BuckeyeNut said:

Please share the story if you have one.  My story...I was playing a 56 degree wedge to the green on a full shot from 100yds.......   I made a swing........I struck the BALL.....then I was highly distracted because my club became immediately light....and a tumbling object stole my attention.   YES.........the clubhead snapped.....did I hit a green in REG.............yes, the ball landed to within 10' of the cup.

snappedWedge_zpst3gxphn9.png

Yes......the shaft snapped...........still a GIR..LOL   

Easy PAR!!  LOL

Read more  

Didn't this happen to you before? :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This happened years ago but my favorite broken club story was with the old Wilson Killer Whale driver. I hit a drive and the head flew off the club about 50 yards directly into the lake in front of the tee.  The ball actually went pretty good into the fairway. So I contacted Wilson and they sent me another one....that had the same issue (except the head didn't fly into a lake). Needless to say I was done with the Killer Whale.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

I had my first epoxy failure circa 1979.

It was No. 6 at Columbia CC (MO), a 150-yard par 3 over water. I hit my tee shot, felt a wobbly shaft and heard a whirring sound, and saw the clubhead hit the water about 12 feet from the edge of the pond.

(The ball ended up 10 yards short and left of the green, but over the water.)

My partner and I triangulated the approximate point of the clubhead with club shafts. A ball-salvage crew was working the lake about 100 yards to our left, and we asked them to retrieve the head. They went right to the area, and mucked around in the mud about two feet under the water. But, they couldn't find the clubhead.

It was a MacGregor MT 7i, and was also the club I chipped with back then.

More recently, I got a set of irons reshafted, but had exoxy problems with about half of them. I had another outfit remove and reglue all the heads, but had problems there too; that shop did a second reglue at no charge, and it has worked out fine. On the original reshaft, I wish I had asked a clubfitter I know if I could have used his work station at 8 AM and just done it all myself.

Another problem in our area: a lot of the veteran clubsmiths have retired, and not all the new guys know what they're doing.

One insidious epoxy problem comes when the shaft tip does not seat tightly in the hosel. An epoxy bead forms around the top of the hosel and keeps the head on, but the head turns a degree or two upon impact. I would hit what felt like a solid 5i, but it would squirrel off short right. At the end of the round, I gripped the 5i using the grip alignment lines, and found the face was about 3* more open than it should be.

This really destroys confidence in one's irons. Did I swing poorly, or did the clubface shift on impact?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Y'all just hit the ball too hard for your own good!

:-D 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I had a 3 iron shaft break up inside the grip, just below where my right index finger rests. It broke when I started my downswing so it was like I was swinging a rope. I whiffed and the floppy club finally broke into 2 pieces as I was holding it at the finish and trying to figure out what had happened. 

As you can guess, we had a spirited discussion about whether or not that counted as a stroke.

Charles P.

:cobra: Fly-Z, Paderson shaft. :callaway: 15o XR, steelhead XR 6-PW. :adams: 16o fairway, 3 & 4 hybrids. :titleist: Vokey 48o, 52o, & 58o.  :odyssey:Toulon San Diego AR.

Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.

Looks like it was time to replace that wedge anyway. Maybe it was just trying to help you out.

I should try that on my wife. "Honey, I need new clubs, the heads broke clean off during my round!"

"Why do they all look cut through halfway with a hacksaw?"

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Never broke anything with my delicate swing...

Only time was when my entire bag fell off the cart (yeah, I forgot to secure..) and snapped the driver head shaft.

Vishal S.

I've never had an epoxy failure that would cause the clubhead to fly off. However, I have had the shafts of at least 2 clubs snap inside the grip.

The last time happened just this Spring. My 7 iron snapped on an approach shot. I had bought the set used from a friend. I cut the grip off to look at the shaft, and it was flattened on one side. I don't know if it was thrown, stomped, run over, slammed in a car door, or slammed into the bag a little too forcefully. The dude does have a bit of a temper.

On 5/18/2017 at 5:23 AM, boogielicious said:

Didn't this happen to you before? :-P

yes...this is the same club from a while back.  

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 2525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!