IGNORED

GIR is KING! GAME GOLF Challenge June 2017

roamin
Note: This thread is 2488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

(edited)
15 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I really wish there were more options and stipulations for challenges. This would be much better as an 18 hole only challenge.

Agreed. I can normally find a hot streak, but keeping it going an entire round is another matter. I don't necessarily mind the combined (9- or 18-hole rounds) challenge, but I'd like the option. Also, having handicapping options of some sort would be nice. I wanted to do total number of GIRs for all rounds for the overall challenge -- since someone could also have just one really high GIR% round and take both challenges -- but % was the only GIR stat available.

3 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

...I'll certainly help make other people feel better about their GIR %'s!

I'm gonna tell myself I can win it and try to stay focused on the goal, but realistically, well...same here. :-D

In all honesty, though, I think my biggest hope is that at the end of the challenge, my stats prove to my brain (once and for all) that it's the correct strategy on the course. ;-)

Edited by roamin

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 6/2/2017 at 5:30 PM, Valleygolfer said:

If it is battery caused death, you might be able to replace it.

Okay, here's what happened. I charged it and now it doesn't pick up the GPS at the courses. It gives some red blinking led or whatever led indicator it's not supposed to give, and won't let me tag a club.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

37 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Okay, here's what happened. I charged it and now it doesn't pick up the GPS at the courses. It gives some red blinking led or whatever led indicator it's not supposed to give, and won't let me tag a club.

Did you check with them on resetting it? I had a similar problem.

http://support.gamegolf.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2019642-no-device-connected-solid-white-light-fix?b_id=7220

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I was waiting for you to post a round, @coachjimsc. With a 70% average (well, now 71% average ;-)), I knew you'd be one of the one's to beat. :beer:

Seven rounds submitted so far, and it looks like the early bar has been set at 13 greens. I managed to sneak a round in this morning before it stormed, but only managed three %-points higher than my average, with seven greens.

Long road ahead, especially for the overall. This may end up being a sort of, "it's an honor just to be nominated" kind of thing, for me. :-P

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

13 hours ago, roamin said:

I was waiting for you to post a round, @coachjimsc. With a 70% average (well, now 71% average ;-)), I knew you'd be one of the one's to beat. :beer:

Thanks @roamin. This was a tournament round I played yesterday and dang it if this challenge was't on my mind throughout the round. Darn you @roamin;-)

I had one on the fringe and one that needed one more hop to get to 15 GIR.

Thanks for setting this up. Its going to be fun.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

5 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

This was a tournament round I played yesterday and dang it if this challenge was't on my mind throughout the round. Darn you @roamin;-)

Lol! :-D

Jake

Week One Results

It's the end of week one! So far, we have 20+ participants in each challenge, and about half have posted a round.

@iacas squeaks in a late nine-hole entry and uses his putter to take the top spot in the overall challenge to end the week. Fighting it out for second, and the top spot among eligible TST members, @coachjimsc and @JxQx have both posted matching 72% and 56% rounds and sit equal on GIR% and the tie-breaking PPH. Jeff appears to have the more consistent putter, but it's way too early to start calling things, now. @Valleygolfer started strong out of the gate and sits in the #4 spot, ready to strike, with @b101 using a hot putter to snag the final spot in the top 5 this week for the overall challenge.

gir-week1a.png.2eb3764ddf33d0c7711417ff856b9017.png

In the single round challenge, a non-TST member (as far as I know?) sets the bar high at 78%. Just a single green behind, @coachjimsc and @JxQx are, again, equal on GIR%. This time, though, consistency with the putter only matters for 18 holes. @iacas's 67% only grabs him 4th here so he has some work remaining to keep his reputation intact (:-P), while @Valleygolfer stands tall in the 5th spot and proves he has the chops to contend.

gir-week1b.png.6777e99b998dc7e37cebc0aa9af7a307.png

For anyone new to the thread, both challenges run through June 30th and @iacas offered to match me on the prize, so there's a pair of TST ball markers on the line for each challenge.  You don't need a GameGolf device to enter...all you need is a smartphone and the free GameGolf app.

Highest GIR% Overall - http://www.gamegolf.com/challenges/11194
Highest Single Round GIR% - http://www.gamegolf.com/challenges/11195

Lots of golf yet to play, so it's still anybody's game!

• Upvote 3

Jake

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:24 PM, Hardspoon said:

I'll certainly help make other people feel better about their GIR %'s!  :-P

So far, so good.  ;-)

• Upvote 1

- John

That was the best round I've played this year so we'll see how much those numbers change lol. Hopefully I will be adding more rounds this weekend. Thanks for setting this up!

So, I've played golf four times since I started these challenges but have only managed to post one eligible round!

56% on nine holes split between the front and back (apparently doesn't count), <30% on Saturday when I had trouble with the app and device (so that worked in my favor), and had a good chance at 50%+ today when I was interrupted by lightning after six holes. :mellow:

Forecast shows rain every day for the next two weeks, but it's Florida...weather forecasts are pretty useless after May. :-P

Jake

11 hours ago, roamin said:

56% on nine holes split between the front and back (apparently doesn't count)

If you email Game Golf, they can combine rounds for you...at least they have for me when it's been two nines

- John

39 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

If you email Game Golf, they can combine rounds for you...at least they have for me when it's been two nines

Their customer support is top-notch.  I've been very impressed the two times I had to get in touch with them.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 6/12/2017 at 10:33 AM, Hardspoon said:

I figured it kind of made sense for the challenge, especially since (in this case) I skipped two of the harder greens to hit in regulation. ;-)

Jake

Week Two Results

It's the end of week two and we've reached the halfway point in our challenge. Almost 50 rounds of golf submitted with a lot more left to play!

A couple of non-TST members* top the leader board for the overall challenge this week, with a perfect 18 GIR performance nabbing the top spot. @coachjimsc pulls ahead and cozies up to the lead among the TST crowd, while @JxQx maintains his consistency to stay close behind. @iacas rounds out the overall Top 5, with @b101 and @Valleygolfer slipping to 6th and 7th, respectively.

gir-week2a.png.f232372b58eec47582449a966de5175a.png

In the single round challenge, @coachjimsc moves into a tie for first with a nice 78% and solid putting, while @JxQx's dependable putter fends off a challenge to his solo spot for third. Once again, @iacas rounds out our Top 5, with @Valleygolfer and @saevel25 hovering just below the radar.

gir-week2b.png.256c58c53633dded781c3255583279e2.png

Happy (early) Father's Day to all the dads out there! May the winds be favorable and the greens within reach. :beer:

Highest GIR% Overall - http://www.gamegolf.com/challenges/11194/leaderboard
Highest Single Round GIR% - http://www.gamegolf.com/challenges/11195/leaderboard

(* - Sorry if you're a TST member but I said you weren't. I've tried to match up as many folks as I can.)

• Upvote 1

Jake

Love this and the mentions - keep up the good work! Great to see I'm chasing @iacas...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

(edited)

Week Three Results

Three weeks in the books and only eight days left to go! With more than 20 competitors now posting rounds in each challenge, we've had over 75 separate rounds of golf submitted by green hunters out there!

The all-powerful, "Matt Carson", still shines as the leader of the pack in the overall challenge, with a fellow non-countrymen right on his heels, brandishing a hot putter. @coachjimsc, ever the stalwart, remains in third overall and continues his reign among the TST faithful. @iacas claws his way up the ladder to the number four spot, while a non-TSTer drops three spots to round out the top 5 this week. @JxQx drops to sixth overall, but is only three points off of @iacas's 65%... come on, Jeff! :dance:

gir-week3a.png.f7d8f5e7de895f25982a43e3c36729a0.png

@iacas claims his rightful spot atop the individual challenge, but a small loss of focus, and a resulting nGIR from the trees, robs him of a perfect 18 greens. "Tony 'The Heel Biter' Komatz" sits right behind the TST legend, waiting to strike, and he's got the putter to clinch it in a tie. @coachjimsc remains tied with the mysterious, "Rachel Moreaux", and still in the lead among eligible TST members, while @JxQx's career high, 72%, continues to secure his spot among the leaders.

gir-week3b.png.e07955df7b0b4ec86f18c08b1224b979.png

On a side note...sadly, your humble emcee picked the wrong time of year to host a challenge and expect to compete in it.  The steady and unrelenting daily rain forecast has kept me from posting any new rounds this week, but with the talent we've got in the competition, it's not like I'd affect the leader board, anyway. ;-)

As a reminder, @iacas offered to match me on the prize, so there's a pair of TST ball markers up for grabs to the highest placing TST member in each challenge (@iacas excluded). Eight days left to stop @coachjimsc from taking home all four of 'em! 

You don't need a GameGolf device to enter. You can use the free GameGolf app to tag shots with your phone and stake your claim to the throne!

Highest GIR% Overall - http://www.gamegolf.com/challenges/11194/leaderboard
Highest Single Round GIR% - http://www.gamegolf.com/challenges/11195/leaderboard

Edited by roamin
  • Upvote 1

Jake

Love this challenge.  Maybe one of these months, I'll be able to win it. :-) 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 2488 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!