IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Discussion Topic

Utah_Golf
Note: This thread is 2506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While I'm kind of disappointed there's so many "Eh" names around the top and the course isn't playing like a U.S. Open, I'm looking forward to this weekend and a crowded leaderboard. Should be a great shootout and a lot of fun. I'm personally rooting for Fowler, while my girlfriend has developed a major crush on Koepka. Asked my sister who she's pulling for and she also said Koepka because (shocker here) she has developed a major crush on him. *sigh*

I'm just praying there's no playoff Monday. My deployment starts Monday and would miss it. I'm already missing the British and PGA because I'll be out to sea, so I'm hoping I at least get to see the finale here.

Edited by ChrisP

Maybe it is just me, but I just turned off the talking heads on the golf channel and the Live From The U.S. Open show. Watching surfing and waiting on a guy to show up and buy a punching bag I have for sale while waiting for the channel 6 network coverage to start in a half hour. I think there are more commentators than players. Worse than watching election results analysis.

argh

Would have been interesting to see what Phil would have done on this course. I also wish Bubba and Jason Day would have made the cut. Nice that two amateurs made the cut. And great that Stricker is still in the field as well along with his wife caddying for him. Going to be an interesting day.

Taylormade M2 driver @ 9.5*+2

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM M2 Rescue 3H@19* and 4H@22* ,
TM RocketBladez irons 5-9,PW,AW, SW(23*,26.5*,30.5*,35*,40*,45*,50*,55*),
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,
Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E, or a Scotty
Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder

6 minutes ago, treebound said:

Maybe it is just me, but I just turned off the talking heads on the golf channel and the Live From The U.S. Open show. Watching surfing and waiting on a guy to show up and buy a punching bag I have for sale while waiting for the channel 6 network coverage to start in a half hour. I think there are more commentators than players. Worse than watching election results analysis.

argh

Would have been interesting to see what Phil would have done on this course. I also wish Bubba and Jason Day would have made the cut. Nice that two amateurs made the cut. And great that Stricker is still in the field as well along with his wife caddying for him. Going to be an interesting day.

I reached that point Thursday morning, when I turned the channel to FS1 before the broadcast and Skip Bayless was going on about how Rickie Fowler was to small of a guy to contend on a big course. I think Rickie was already at -3 by then. Anyway...

Before the tournament began, I was anticipating that the leading score would be around 7-under after two rounds, and that a golfer would need to enter the weekend at 2-under to be in contention. I wasn't expecting half the post-cut field being within five strokes of the lead.

Edited by Chilli Dipper

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Cameron Champ (a) is two strokes off the lead going into the third round, Scottie Scheffler (a) is six strokes off the lead. The way the course has been playing where just a couple bad shots and bad recoveries can hit a player hard, I would not be surprised to see the leaderboard go through a complete re-mix today and tomorrow.

I wonder what has been the largest number of players engaged in a playoff?

edit to add:

looks like six in a playoff, twice:

https://www.thoughtco.com/largest-sudden-death-playoffs-in-pga-tour-history-1565870

Edited by treebound
Added edit

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

So when Na and Westwood and everyone was saying their bit about the fescue, they were literally "making hay". Rimshot. 

I'll walk myself out. ?

I'll be here all week! Try the veal!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read this about the 10th today and wanted to share it. It's an explanation of why this course is actually a really good course in my opinion.

http://www.friedegg.co/golf-courses/erin-hills-strategic-design

Edited by DeadMan
  • Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

15 is drivable today, playing 288. 18 isn't maxed out either and with the prevailing wind will be reachable in two.  

Even that being said early on the lowest round on the course is 2-under. Are they playing tricks, or is Erin Hills just getting tougher?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Earlier they were showing the back nine still getting set up while players were playing the front nine. Probably one of the few times where course managers were banking on slow players.

TM M6 D-type 3wood 16*, 
TM Hi-Toe 60* wedge,

11 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Does anyone know if an amateur finishes the U.S. Open in the top-10 and ties, if they turn professional between the end of said Open and the next Open, are they still exempt from qualifying the next year?

I don't think professional status is required for that exemption.  I think it may affect whether that gets them into the PGA Championship, though, for obvious reasons.

20 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

15 is drivable today, playing 288. 18 isn't maxed out either and with the prevailing wind will be reachable in two.  

Even that being said early on the lowest round on the course is 2-under. Are they playing tricks, or is Erin Hills just getting tougher?

I think I just saw Zach Johnson drive the green.   I think he and Jordan are the last two left who could theoretically achieve a career slam in 2017. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

47 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I think for some the fatigue will start factoring in. But I think for others they will go low. Most guys haven't gotten to 14 yet. I think you'll see 2 or 3 guys get to double digits under par by day's end. Of all those guys at -5 and better, a couple of them have a 67 in them. Guys are sticking shots like this is the John Deere Classic out there.

Edited by ChrisP

32 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I think I just saw Zach Johnson drive the green.   I think he and Jordan are the last two left who could theoretically achieve a career slam in 2017. 

You really hurt Sergio's feelings saying that.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

46 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Expanding that premise a little, Angel Cabrera still technically could since he already has a Masters and a US Open. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

17 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

You really hurt Sergio's feelings saying that.

2 minutes ago, jamo said:

Expanding that premise a little, Angel Cabrera still technically could since he already has a Masters and a US Open. 

Dang, I forgot both.  You're both right.  Sergio and Angel can win a career slam this year.

Next two majors just got even more exciting. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Kevin Na's tee shot on #15 ... thing of beauty.  No fescue in the mix on that one.

-- Michael | My swing! 

Hoping the leader on Sunday is around -9 or so. This could be a really fun Sunday if nobody in the later groups makes a really big run.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

According to Brandel Chamblee, PGA Tour players are averaging 15-20 more yards of roll off the tees at Erin Hills than at a regular PGA Tour event.

15 * 14 = 210 yards, so the course is really playing closer to 7400 to 7500 yards.

Still long, but remember too… it's a par 72. Drop the 650-yard hole to a 495-yard hole and you're chopping off another 155. Do that twice and you're down another 300 yards… 7100 to 7200 yards.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't want a rehash of last years Fox announcers discussion, but I really wish they would figure out how to use the leader board to share information. Still only showing 4 of the guys tied for the lead.

Note: This thread is 2506 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!