IGNORED

Mickelson and Bones split

phillyk
Note:Β This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On 6/26/2017 at 9:20 PM, Shindig said:

I can think of a couple of caddies from before World War II that are somewhat famous. Β I'm sure you've heard of a few of them.

Uhhh, no! Don't know how old you are, but I was born in '52, so I don't remember a lot before WWII. The only older caddies I remember are from George Plimpton's book The Bogey Man. There was Rabbit, and Violence, and of course Arnie's Augusta caddie for all those years, "Iron Man"!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Uhhh, no! Don't know how old you are, but I was born in '52, so I don't remember a lot before WWII. The only older caddies I remember are from George Plimpton's book The Bogey Man. There was Rabbit, and Violence, and of course Arnie's Augusta caddie for all those years, "Iron Man"!

I don't literally remember Eddie Lowery, but he was a famous caddie before WWII. Β I hear there was a club in Texas that had two caddies, Hogan and Nelson, who made names for themselves, albeit not as caddies, so I don't know if they count as famous caddies.Β 

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Hello.....if we are talking pre-WWII caddies, is there any bigger name than Bagger Vance? Β Guy was a legend

Β 

Seriously......let's see who can guess the player that hires Bones...........my guess is....Adam Scott.

Β 

Β 

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"Β  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Looks like Bones is going to be an on course reporter for NBC/Golf Channel: http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/mackay-joins-golf-channel-course-reporter/

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

On 06/21/2017 at 6:35 AM, Valleygolfer said:

He helped cover a tournament last year. I can't remember which one. I wouldn't be surprised if he is trying to get into that arena,Β  seeing how he has had knee replacement surgeries and his legs probably don't feel like they can handle another 10 years of lugging a bag.

Good call.... Haha

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Good for him, be wary of his green reading advice though.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

38 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Good for him, be wary of his green reading advice though.

No offense but he would crush you(he be giving you about 10 a side) and most of the people on this site in a match. He is a hell of a golfer forΒ a guy who can't read a green according to a few guys on here.Β 

Trollin' is the life

6 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

No offense but he would crush you(he be giving you about 10 a side) and most of the people on this site in a match. He is a hell of a golfer forΒ a guy who can't read a green according to a few guys on here.Β 

So what. Who cares. He'll still be dispensing dodgy information.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

So what. Who cares. He'll still be dispensing dodgy information.

What is his dodgy information? I know you guys were lighting him up for the golf digest article but I honestly think 90 percent of the posters didn't read the actual article. I guarantee he can read greens better than you with his "dodgy info" even if you did learn the aimpoint way.

Trollin' is the life

59 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

What is his dodgy information? I know you guys were lighting him up for the golf digest article but I honestly think 90 percent of the posters didn't read the actual article. I guarantee he can read greens better than you with his "dodgy info" even if you did learn the aimpoint way.

:offtopic:

I would welcome a spotΒ where an Aimpointer goes up against him or any tour player or caddie and see who makes the better reads. Come on Golf Channel/Broadcast TV. Do this. I would welcome someone going to all the spots where the pundits say it goes toward this body of water, mountain, and then see the results of a Perfect Putter. If the powers that be are right, then I bow to them. But we don't know for sure right now do we?Β 

I'm sure he'll have interesting things to say on life on the tour and other aspects of the game, but I'm going to take his green reading advice with a grain of salt. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Steve

59 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

:offtopic:

I would welcome a spotΒ where an Aimpointer goes up against him or any tour player or caddie and see who makes the better reads. Come on Golf Channel/Broadcast TV. Do this. I would welcome someone going to all the spots where the pundits say it goes toward this body of water, mountain, and then see the results of a Perfect Putter. If the powers that be are right, then I bow to them. But we don't know for sure right now do we?Β 

I'm sure he'll have interesting things to say on life on the tour and other aspects of the game, but I'm going to take his green reading advice with a grain of salt. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

An Aimpointer against a Tour player? Come on, you! You really can't be serious! I've played a few really nice courses in my day, and what impresses me about the greens are the subtlety of the breaks.

Did you watch any of the Quicken Loans tourney? I know it's hard to read break on TV, but the on course commentators weren't doing much better. The ball would always seem to veer away from the hole at the last minute.

We play many different local, daily fee courses over the Summer. Many of them have greens that are obvious to read. You might as well have a fluorescent yellow line painted from your ball to the hole! Some greens are "different" somehow. They may not look like they have much break, but they do! In spades!

As far as the "pundits" saying the putts all break one way or another, that's a load of crap! Feherty wrote an essay about this after he played in the Bob Hope Desert Classic, or whatever it was in it's final incarnation. He had some geek in the bag room tell him that all putts broke toward Indio. After playing his practice round, Feherty decided that "Indio" was a Native American word for the land all around the course!

The only things that affect the roll of a putt are slope (gravity), and grain! And most pro caddies are really good golfers, just not quite pro grade. That's why you hear so much discussion between pro and caddie these days. The pros value their opinion!

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

An Aimpointer against a Tour player? Come on, you! You really can't be serious! I've played a few really nice courses in my day, and what impresses me about the greens are the subtlety of the breaks.

He is serious.

Tour players aren't all great green readers. In fact, few are. Hell, Tiger read greens from memory.Β I know ofΒ severalΒ stories from Mark Sweeney about how badly Tour players read greens. They under-read putts like crazy, too… then pull or push the putt on-line.

Hell, the announcers can't even read the greens, and they have the maps and yardage books. They'll say "this is a right edge putt" and then the player pushes it a cup and half outside the cup.

The only things that affect the roll of a putt are slope (gravity), and grain! And most pro caddies are really good golfers, just not quite pro grade.

Grain doesn't really.

The pros value their opinion!

Or maybe it's because they have no idea and they need all the help they can get. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

38 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

By which your feet can pick up better than your eyes. Aimpoint is far superior to reading greens than traditional methodsΒ and just plain false old adages.Β 

39 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Did you watch any of the Quicken Loans tourney? I know it's hard to read break on TV, but the on course commentators weren't doing much better. The ball would always seem to veer away from the hole at the last minute.

It's called not playing enough break.Β :-P

41 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

We play many different local, daily fee courses over the Summer. Many of them have greens that are obvious to read. You might as well have a fluorescent yellow line painted from your ball to the hole! Some greens are "different" somehow. They may not look like they have much break, but they do! In spades!

Again, the course can deceive the eyes, not the feet. You are making the case for the guy using Aimpoint will read the green better than a person using their eyes. Courses can be designed to trick the eyes. You can not trick the feet.Β 

42 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

The only things that affect the roll of a putt are slope (gravity), and grain! And most pro caddies are really good golfers, just not quite pro grade. That's why you hear so much discussion between pro and caddie these days. The pros value their opinion!

Grain has little effect on break, more effect on just the speed of the putt.Β 

What are the handicaps of the caddies? Care to back up that statement with some facts?

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

I am under the impression pro golfers read greens from to info they getΒ on paper. 3-d scans are bought by them (and caddies). I could do a lot better myself using that kind of aid. I don't think pro caddies are outstanding at reading greens. They just have a lot more info.Β 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, MacDutch said:

I am under the impression pro golfers read greens from to info they getΒ on paper. 3-d scans are bought by them (and caddies). I could do a lot better myself using that kind of aid. I don't think pro caddies are outstanding at reading greens. They just have a lot more info.Β 

Isn't TPTB trying to limit usage of these mappings? I thought I read that somewhere. Memory is fuzzy, so maybe not.

Steve

• Administrator
7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Isn't TPTB trying to limit usage of these mappings? I thought I read that somewhere. Memory is fuzzy, so maybe not.

Well…

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Note:Β This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!