IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2017

Note: This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7/10 - wall drills with focus on steady head (maintaining my front and rear walls)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

July 10

Played 18 holes on local Amateur circuit. Worst round of year. Nothing worth mentioning.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

7/10 - Practiced 40-60 yd shots at lunch.

Did turning open drills into the net in my garage with a PW.

Slow swings with the Driver keeping left shoulder low.

Putted 4, 6 and 8 footers on my skilz putting mat.

Practiced feeling 0, 1, 2 and 3% slopes.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Having convinced myself that something is wrong with my putting (no, really, I am losing 1.21 strokes per round vs an average 25 handicap), I decided to go back to square one.  I spent some quality time today with Utley's book and the grip chapter, trying to get comfortable holding the putter this way.  Seeing as how a grip change in my full swing made a big difference a few years ago, here goes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 10:  my wife played a fast one on me tonite... asked me if I want to go hits balls with her and my son after work... is this a trick question?  But then there was dinner, then the dishes and then it was too late.  She pulled the ole bait and switch.  So in the waning hours of light I hit 50 chips and pitches in my back yard.  Now she says, "are you writing on the golf site?"  ?? Is she trying to sabotage the 5 minutes of practice?  Treachery.  I will not be defeated so easily.

• Upvote 1

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

Playing my first 18 in a month today, my league's mid-year tournament. I've played very little, just one par 3 nine hole round since the injuries. I'm not expect to score well. I just want to get through the round pain free.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Playing my first 18 in a month today, my league's mid-year tournament. I've played very little, just one par 3 nine hole round since the injuries. I'm not expect to score well. I just want to get through the round pain free.

Hope your round goes better than mine!

I played today too (last full round was in April). Range was closed, but I did about 20 mins of putting. Then I swung a club to loosen up, and did some good stretching. I thought I was ready to go, but I bailed after 9 to prevent significant re-injury. Neck tightened up on me, and my shoulder turn got more and more difficult. I'll keep on with my recovery and take it easy for the time being. 

Good news is that I had a few really nice relaxed swings that had some great distance. I enjoyed getting out, so that's good. But scoring generally was awful (if I counted, it'd be well over 50), but at least putting was decent. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

July 11

For 15 minutes, reviewed website and holes for Belk Park GC where our group will play tomorrow.

Also, rested up from Monday's duel in the sun.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

7/11/17: 

Practiced posture drills at work, between cooking orders and hacking up romaine for salads.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7/11/17

Worked on putting indoors. I have a tendancy to stab at and accelerate more as putts get longer.  I laid out golf balls at 1 foot interval from 4 to 10 feet.  Starting with the closest shot I focused on having a long enough pendulum to reach the hole as I got further away.

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

On 7/8/2017 at 7:08 PM, woodzie264 said:

IMG_4510.thumb.JPG.5853955c17fecd3c64a724d63dea43b8.JPGimageproxy.php?img=&key=26b180e008f40bf07/08 - clearing out underbrush from back of property. Swinging this thing for a couple of hours with focus on centered turn and steady head

This may be my new favorite post. :beer:

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

2 hours ago, roamin said:

This may be my new favorite post. :beer:

Glad to help!

7/11 - 30ft lags down office hallway for speed work

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

July 11.  After work and a dental appointment, but before meeting up with friends for a movie, and also rather than going to 7/11 (did they even do a special today?) I went to practice golf.  I spent about an hour on the range with a bucket of ~30 balls.  Arms straight at address and not doing something [silly] with my elbow (my term).  I also explicitly hit a few more punch shots and I am at the point where I think I know what the 6-iron is going to do with that shot if I hit it well (what remains to do is get good enough to know that's going to happen).  You know the routine by now, and I hate saying "ditto" but... ditto.  I can't wait to have my home setup complete so I can do this there.

I also hit a few flight shots with wedges, including a few attempts with my PW. 

I then spent an hour on the putting green with the grip I was practicing yesterday.  I feel like I sank a ton more, doing many from 4' around the cup and then some at 6' and 9'.  But I didn't keep objective stats.  I wish I had taken my camera so I could film my putting attempts -- I'll do that tomorrow, probably at home and with the ruler instead of on a green.

I believe this makes me 11 for 11 for July, although yesterday's practice felt kind of weak (until I saw something that I'm trying to convince myself is an intermediate result today) and I posted about Saturday's round that morning, not that evening.  I'm not sure where this leaves me for the challenge, but I'll continue practicing something every day for its own sake even if I'm eliminated at this point.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 11:  I was able to go to the club at about 7 PM after a 12 hour day at work.  I was a bit tired but got some good overall practice in.  I was on the range for about 20 to 30 minutes working on my starting my back swing consistently and turning through the ball.  I've been pushing the ball a lot which is unusual for me.  I'm too steep into the ball I think.  Ended the range time with the Driver and focused a lot on posture and my weight.  I tend to get to much weight on my heels and I tried to feel my weight forward.  Finally, I spent about 20 minutes on the putting green practicing from 6 feet and trying to make 10 in a row.  closest I got was 6.  Then I was on the chipping and pitching green for 20 minutes including hitting about 10 balls out of the bunker in different lies.  Overall, It was a productive session but still not confident of my ball striking.  

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

8 hours ago, Shindig said:

rather than going to 7/11 (did they even do a special today?) I went to practice golf.

Yes they did! Small slurpee! I went there after my round yesterday.

7/11: Reviewed lessons and did mirror work for 10mins. Focused on right elbow, because I think I was retracting it behind my shirt seam all day yesterday, leading to all kinds of inconsistency.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

7/12/17:

52°, PW, 8i and 6i shots with limited flight balls in the yard, just mostly focusing on keeping down and through the ball.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

July 12 - Scheduled rest day today for the wrist and knee. They are mildly sore today after yesterdays 18 holes. I did do some stretching and shoulder turn work.

During the round I used the swing thought to rotate from the top to start my downswing to get my hands from casting. Worked great.

Another thing I did yesterday was to look at my shadow during the start of the backswing when the sun was directly behind me to keep my hip turn centered. I really didn't focus on it, but gave it a look at setup and used the swing though 'stay centered'. So instead of it being a distraction, it became a tool.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7/12/17

Practiced clean contact with 5 and 7 irons into a net.  Focused on square contact and hitting at or above the center target in the net.  Pulled a few, most were close to online.  The pulls were the crispest shots, was really releasing the club, but if I have those when I play 9 tomorrow afternoon I will be OB.  

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

Note: This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!