IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge July 2017

Note: This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

July 12

Made a road trip with Senior group to nearby Belk Park Golf Course.

Shot 44 + 45 = 89 (17 over) // Could have been 85 w/o brain lapses.

Hit mainly solid drives - about half ended up in light rough - but I was moving ball out.

Another bizarre day putting - 6 one-putts and 4 three-putts. Two of three-putts were brain failures from failing to take into account that the greens crew had water-cooled the greens with hoses right before we arrived.

Had 5 pars, 2 double-B and 1 triple-B (two to get out of bunker).

I need to spend an hour in our deep practice bunker. Sand shots have been so iffy during July, after robust spring.

I won a $12 skin on a twice-over-water par 5 with a natural par, -2 HDCP strokes = net 3.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

July 12. Today was scattered, but I did get a solid deliberate putting practice a a few minutes ago.  I hit 25 balls (five sets of 5) with the putter, indoors, across the ruler and then another 7' to a shoebox.  Practice swings looking in the mirror to see my shoulders move before each one.  Missed four left and three right, with 18 falling off the end of the ruler and continuing.  Is this good bead?  I have no idea other than I'm going to work on it.

The putting stroke I was trying to imitate is from Erik's vlog from quite a while ago (see conversation in my "my swing" thread).  I definitely took a longer swing than I'd anticipate, and I don't know how I'd gauge speed with this stroke yet... so something I'm going to work on tomorrow morning on a real green (I'll post after that, this isn't my pre-dating a practice day).

(Putting plan for what it's worth:  this for bead, some speed drills on real greens coming up, and then see if I can do some good 4' 8' 12' with the hopefully better putting stroke)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

July 12:  Had an event after work so I spent 5 minutes working with the Orange Whip and hit about 30 chips and pitches.  It was almost dark and things were great until I hit 3 double hit chips in a row.  The shot I've been trying to eliminate.  I'll blame it on the Michelob Ultra and call it a night. 

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

7/13/17

Playing 9 holes after work today.  Gonna focus on keeping the ball in play rather than distance.  Gonna be tough keeping the Big Dog in the bag a little more often, excited to see how it goes.

Heading out into the middle of nowhere without wifi access this weekend.  Might have to post what I am working on this weekend either before my trip or after I get back.

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

7/13: small bucket at the range. Took time and worked on posture, grip and getting to a good A4 (right elbow, left wrist, centered hip turn). Took some video to verify. From the top just thought of a more horizontal rather than vertical swing. 

13 minutes ago, socialputts said:

Heading out into the middle of nowhere without wifi access this weekend.

I believe TST Practice Challenge posting is worthy of using some of your data :beer:

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

12 minutes ago, RandallT said:

7/13: small bucket at the range. Took time and worked on posture, grip and getting to a good A4 (right elbow, left wrist, centered hip turn). Took some video to verify. From the top just thought of a more horizontal rather than vertical swing. 

I believe TST Practice Challenge posting is worthy of using some of your data :beer:

It sure is, but I should have been more specific.  Last time out there I had no phones either.  Nuthin.  Nada.  Except one time when I climbed the highest hill and got 1 bar for about 30 seconds.  I will be living like an animal for 48 hours.  If you don't hear from me by Monday, please send help!

Edited by socialputts
  • Upvote 1

Sincerely, Art

595fdffb1cd64_logoforTST.jpg.9637d0539d0818684c1ee7c2f23bfb3a.jpg

Play more golf.  Easily.  Download the FREE (Limited Time) SocialPutts app. today!

595fde6fe0fb7_AvailableontheAppStoreTST.jpg.8bc310c687f48ce49737dea3658d16c6.jpg595fde722ffa6_GetitonGooglePlayTST.jpg.ace51e4e4a9308d728ed4ec293751de6.jpg

July 13 - Mirror work at the gym. Focused on turning from the top at the start of the downswing. Playing 9 later with my league.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7/13/17:

Were getting rained on like crazy. But was still able to practice my "dink-and-dunk" swing. Basically it's a shorter swing designed to keep the ball going straight. I usually only use it with irons, but can use it with driver in a pinch.I get about 80% of my full swing distance sometimes more because I strike it better. It's my back-up if the full swing goes awry.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

July 13.  Played 18 holes at a course I haven't played in a while with some friends.  No range to warm up on (it's being improved), so I did some of yesterday's putting before the round.  It felt good and I reminded myself to trust putting that way during the round.  I think I did okay putting during the round -- if I'm reading the Game Golf insights correctly, I lost fewer strokes putting than my ten previous rounds' average (but not by much, but then again, I found out what I should be doing last night).  And I know I reverted on some bad putts, but I'm not really in the habit of putting this way yet so that's to be expected.

Short game it says I did poorly, and not surprisingly -- even though I had a few approaches from within 100 yards, I only hit 3 GIR (one with a 3H, one with a 6I, one with a 5I).  I did hit I think a half dozen fringes, though, so it isn't... yeah, it was bad.  Eight of my approach shots attempted were with a wood of some sort though (including the 3H).  I also had some bizarre shots;  I putted from the fringe through casual water (note to self:  don't do that again, chip over it instead) and had an approach stop on the *far* lip of a bunker, outside the sand... but I ended up knocking it into the sand anyway.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Im not sure why this is a continued issue, but every other post is not going through and shows up the next day in the response box as if I never sent it. Not sure why this is. Becoming frustrating.

7/12 - pitching with whiffle balls in front yard focusing on the "quickie pitching video" technique...particularly the floaty transition

7/13 - pitching down the hall with whiffle balls and yellow foam balls 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

53 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I'm not sure why this is a continued issue, but every other post is not going through and shows up the next day in the response box as if I never sent it. Not sure why this is. Becoming frustrating

Hmmm. I haven't experienced that. If the server is not posting people's submissions, I think we would see more complaints.

For a few days, see if each goes through by watching it post and PM me for any failure. Maybe we see pattern. Dunno.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Hmmm. I haven't experienced that. If the server is not posting people's submissions, I think we would see more complaints.

For a few days, see if each goes through by watching it post and PM me for any failure. Maybe we see pattern. Dunno.

Yeah, that's definitely not a bug with the site, or there would be hella complaints about it here and elsewhere within Invision. Has to be something on your end, @woodzie264. Nobody else is having that problem.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7/13 - Did turning open drills into the net in my garage with a 8 iron.

Putted 4, 6 and 8 footers on my sklz putting mat.

Practiced feeling 3% slopes on my home made slope practice device.

MDF with stacks of penny's underneath to change the slope.

20170713_210853.thumb.jpg.9003b0204ecc3395ac6995da7bab2955.jpg

• Upvote 1

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Yeah, that's definitely not a bug with the site, or there would be hella complaints about it here and elsewhere within Invision. Has to be something on your end, @woodzie264. Nobody else is having that problem.

I have no idea. Maybe my phone hates me. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
34 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

I have no idea. Maybe my phone hates me. 

If they don't post you see it right away.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

July 13:  played 9 hole in the Thursday night league.  Started with a double bogey on the first hole but was striking the ball better.  Shot 40 with 1 double, 3 bogeys and 1 birdie.  3 three putts led to 17 putts overall.  

:mizuno:  :titleist:  :tmade:

July 14

Read about the new Steelhead XR fairway woods from Callaway. Promo says: "We took our most successful fairway wood of all times and made it more versatile and powerful. Combining a recontoured Hawkeye sole..."

Four years ago, I stumbled onto four of the original Great Big Bertha Hawkeye fairway woods at a local golf shop. All in excellent condition, and recently refurbed with Golf Pride New Decade midsize grips. $45 each, for 3, 5, 7, 9. Then, two weeks later, I came across the Hawkeye Deuce (the 2-wood version, precursor to mini-drivers) at another shop for $25.

At a demo day, possibly I can do a side-by-side with the original Hawkeyes and the heir-apparent Steelheads.

-----------

Also, practiced my putting setup indoors for five minutes. Used an alignment stick to help visualize the line to the hole. 

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

July 14 - Happy Bastille Day to any French folks we have on the site. My league round got cancelled last night. Did some shoulder turn work today. And easy swings. My knee is a tad sore after PT this morning.

I'm playing a par 3 nine hole course tomorrow with my wife. That is always fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2431 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!