IGNORED

Getting into PURE Grips

7 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Yeah, not a big deal obviously, but it's weird, right?  And odd that they'd show it on the site as an actual "thing".

I'm strangely intrigued by this now, and I'm trying to figure out why.

Here's a post from 2013 (from another forum, found on Google) that mentions it, so it's nothing new.  "The white grips are always the heaviest".

image.png

It’s not weird to me, but I already knew about different dyes having different chemical makeups (and thus why manufacturers can’t just go and make golf balls whatever color they want).

It might be odd for them to show it on their website but I’m happy for the transparency.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

And odd that they'd show it on the site as an actual "thing".

No, it would affect swing weights and stuff, so people want to know what a grip weighs. And then they weigh it themselves, but still… if you're replacing one grip with another, you might want to match it up. Or go lighter or heavier on purpose.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread, but I was looking for new grips today and noticed this:

image.png

It seems like the weight for the grips changes...by color?!?  Seemed so strange.

Pigments have different chemical make up and can require varied addition amounts to get the desired color. White is usually titanium dioxide, which is metallic and needs more to get the white they want. The green pigment is probably very effective in small amounts, so it doesn’t add much weight. Black and gray could have carbon black.

The colorant suppliers have pallets that they work with and provide the materials to the molding companies to get the color match. In molding, the colorant is blended with the plastic or rubber in a hopper prior to melting and molding. In plastics, it is usually a pigment because the color is dispersed and is not really soluble in the plastic. Dyes dissolve and are used in more fluid applications. They are either water or oil soluble depending on the product.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

5 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Pigments have different chemical make up and can require varied addition amounts to get the desired color. White is usually titanium dioxide, which is metallic and needs more to get the white they want. The green pigment is probably very effective in small amounts, so it doesn’t add much weight. Black and gray could have carbon black.

The colorant suppliers have pallets that they work with and provide the materials to the molding companies to get the color match. In molding, the colorant is blended with the plastic or rubber in a hopper prior to melting and molding. In plastics, it is usually a pigment because the color is dispersed and is not really soluble in the plastic. Dyes dissolve and are used in more fluid applications. They are either water or oil soluble depending on the product.

Classic Scott. Classic.👍

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 5 months later...

Pure is running a 1-day 30% off sale for Veteran's Day. Only for the "Pitch Purple" color.

• Like 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

5 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Pure is running a 1-day 30% off sale for Veteran's Day. Only for the "Pitch Purple" color.

Too heavy...the white has a much better feel.😏

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I’ve been thinking about rebuilding my clubs with white ferrules and purple grips for a while 🤔

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, billchao said:

I’ve been thinking about rebuilding my clubs with white ferrules and purple grips for a while 🤔

Go for it

• Like 1

Colin P.

On 6/4/2020 at 4:44 AM, boogielicious said:

FYI @boogielicious  titanium dioxide is not metallic.  Also green pigment sucks because it does not have any hide power so it takes a lot of it to get hide, just opposite of what you might think.  

Paint gets it's ability to hide from white and black pigments, those greens and blues just suck in hide. 

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

50 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Go for it

This will be a fun winter project. I bought 13, which is enough to do my irons and wedges, plus 8-PW on my MP4s because I’ve been tossing the idea of playing a combo set around for a while. Now I just need to order some ferrules.

• Like 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else get the e-mail from Pure about the new Combo grip? Half DTX/half Pro texture, and reduced taper, assuming this is similar to the MCC +4 grip.

Available January next year in black - I might order a couple to try out.

-Peter

8 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Did anyone else get the e-mail from Pure about the new Combo grip? Half DTX/half Pro texture, and reduced taper, assuming this is similar to the MCC +4 grip.

Available January next year in black - I might order a couple to try out.

I just sent them an email about that. I asked about it in March and they said they were prototyping it. It was going to be a reduced taper. I’m excited about it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 year later...

44% off all Pure grips for their 4th of July/Founders sale.

Goes through 7/4

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

56 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Goes through 7/4

Dang it.  If only they weren't such good quality that the ones I put on a few years ago were still in good shape. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

2 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Dang it.  If only they weren't such good quality that the ones I put on a few years ago were still in good shape. 

I know right? Currently installed Pures are still perfect. 

Edited by Darkfrog

-Peter

21 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Goes through 7/4

Thank you for this. I’m at a little over 3 years and it’s about time to replace mine. My GP MCCs didn’t even last a year…

• 3 weeks later...

Not looking to take this off topic, but has anyone here used Star Grips?  I'm asking in this thread because they are also all rubber, suggest installing with compressed air, are made in the USA, and have a three year warranty on them.  

I didn't see much when I did a search, but looks like they may have been around a while.  

Sorry if this should be its own thread, but seemed relevant given some of the similarities...