IGNORED

Music on the Course - When Did This Become a Thing?

wedge player
Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As long as it's not too loud then I think it's fine. I'll usually have pandora on my phone only loud enough for the two of us in the cart. I played with my brother in law and he brought out a portable boom box type thing and had an ipod hooked up to it. That was absolute overkill, he would have the damn thing blaring as we pulled up near other groups and I had to turn it down every time. And as soon as I stepped out of the cart it went right back up again. Total lack of courtesey IMO.

I listen to music sometimes when I am on the range.  I do have a "pre-game" inspirational mix on my MP3 player to help calm me down before a round.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

Earbuds when I practice, some of the time. Sometimes I want to hear the sound of impact.

I do have kind of a 'routine' before practice - I'll put in the earbuds & listen to '1979' by Smashing Pumpkins while I stretch & go thru the whole song before I hit a ball. Something about that song that mellows me out & gets me in the frame of mind for practice.

We always listen to Solid Country Gold when playing through an I Phone.  Might listen to the occasional SEC Football game in the fall.

When I have 225 carry over water and Waylon Jennings comes on, I have to go for it.

Nope.  I prefer to have golf be my quiet time and music would just be a distraction.  Im perfectly fine with people who listen to earbuds because it doesnt effect me.  If someone is playing a radio or playing music through their phone and I can hear it, you can bet I will be calling the clubhouse and complaining about it though.  Your right to play music ends when it interferes with my right to enjoy my round.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I never have on the course or the range. I listen to music in the car at home and at work, I dont need it while golfing.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Yea I do pretty often, my uncle and his buddies up in oak island have captains choice tournaments every week.  A lot of times I'll ride up and play and he always has his ipod hooked up to a portable iHome.  I think it helps my game honestly as long as you're not playing it too loud.

I have never listened to music on the course and can't imagine doing so. I enjoy the sounds of the game (wildlife, the carts, the club+ball impact, the grass, the water, the wind, etc. etc. etc.). Golf is not golf to me with anything suppressing the sounds of the game.

On top of that, I like the conversations and laughing with friends/family out there.

Golf requires concentration.  Music is an unnecessary distraction.  I like the ambiance of being out there -  the sounds of the game and my companions and Mother Nature - isn't that enough?

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Its just fine to listen to music just as long as its at a respectable level and doesn't interfere with others on the course. I do listen to music while playing, especially if I'm playing alone. Its not like its so loud you cant have conversations with your playing partners or hear mother nature (the sound of the grass HA your killing me). Who the hell are you guys golfing with that cranks the music up so loud that you cant talk to each other? Sorry but I could say that the birds all of a sudden chirping is more a distraction then soft music constantly playing. I have portable ipod speakers that i put n the "glovebox" of the cart or clip to my bag if I'm walking. I keep the volume low enough to where you only hear it while in the cart. No one on the course other than me can hear it, and if I'm playing with friends I ask them before hand if they mind and no one ever has. I live in the country so hearing the "sounds of nature" is normal for me.  I don't live in a city so no sirens or horns honking. It is not distracting at all, I paint houses for a living and listen to music or talk radio all day while working and its never broke my concentration or disturbed me. If music was a disturbance there's noway us construction workers could do our work without being distracted. Every job site Ive been on and will go on has music playing. So does just about every office you visit. Maybe weaker minds or people that aren't used to working or doing activities with music could startle or distract them. But you yourself determines what a distraction is, if you let something be a distraction it will become one. Golf (just like alot of things in life) are more mental than physical. Altho there is a level of volume that could make it distracting but i believe that's where being mature and common courtesy comes in. Its not ok to play rap music or pantera on a job site, nore is it ok to blast any music. For me music is soothing, not a distraction. That damn squirrel running infront of me as I'm about to make an approach shot is more of a distraction than music playing softly. I think the whole thing about playing music is to each their own but just like in life you have to be courteous and respectful to your neighbors. Its the people who just don't care about anyone in society but themselves that are the ones blasting there boom boxes on the course. It all comes down to being a good human being and putting others before yourself.

In the bag

Bag-Taylormade

Driver-Taylormade R11s 10.5*

3 Wood- Taylormade Burner

5 Wood- Adams Tight Lies

3 Hybrid- Warrior Golf

Irons 4-PW-Taylormade 360 XD

SW- 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can

AW- Razor Golf

LW-60* Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can

Putter- Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Ball- Titleist Pro V1

I generally do not listen while either at the range or on the course, I find it can be difficult to concentrate with music going (I have had some cartners who throw on music between holes).  The only exception I have had to date is a round that I walked by myself recently.  It was hot, and I was alone on the course, the music kept me company between shots, but I killed the music when I was swinging.

You know this is an interesting question.  I listen to music all day while I work, so I'm definitely used to listening in the background and while staying focused.

I don't listen to music when I play or practice, but I ALWAYS have some stupid song stuck in my head on the course.  Maybe if I could pick a few songs to practice with, then get those stuck in my head during a round, I'll have an easier time concentrating.  And I won't risk having some pop song in my head ruining everything.

• 1 year later...
What are your thoughts on music playing while on the golf course. My group does it ... It's not load, can't really hear it unless your within a few feet of the cart. I do admit that if it is load enough for other players on the course to hear, then I am against it ... So let's hear what you think, as I am sure there different opinions ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I've been playing for 3 years now and have never once heard any music on the course so can't really comment with any authority. I'd assume that as long as its not travelling away from your immediate area then there is no problem, but then I've seen people lose it about all sorts of minor distractions that I wouldn't even notice (normally after a poor drive ;))

Hi, My name is Matt.

The only time I've seen anything like this is when someone is wearing ear buds to listen to their music. To be honest part of my enjoyment for the game comes from how peaceful it is out on the course, apart from the very many f bombs hurled when I miss hit the ball that is! :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

I can only think of one instance where I have ever encountered music on the course. There was a group of guys on 17 when I was playing the 12th hole with a stereo. I kind of did a double take because I wasn't expecting it, but then I shrugged and commented to one of my partners, "I guess they're having a good time." I teed off pretty early, so they must have got there at the crack of dawn. Didn't bother me whatsoever. There should be an "indifferent" option in the poll.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1058 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!