IGNORED

Tour Players in Long Drive Competition

bones75
Note: This thread is 944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I cant really say, but being that a tour level ballstriker hits the center of the face nearly all of the time, id say the stupid long guys like Dustin Johnson or Bubba could complete with Long Drive pros with a day or so of practice. I was watching Vijay Singh hit drivers on the range years ago and after that i felt like he could hit it like 500 yards if he really wanted to.... Never have a seen someone hit a ball so far with seemingly so little effort. 

29 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yes, they're generally very big. Usually, with tons of fast twitch muscles.

Jamie Sadlowski is the exception and not the rule.

I saw Jamie Sadlowski play in a charity even in my town a couple years back.  There were several PGA players there.  Sadlowski's tee shots just sounded different--both the whoosh of the club and the impact.   Here's a pretty good article on him: 

Out on the range at Cordillera, Sadlowski steps up and flushes about a dozen 7-irons—240 or so—before catching one thin. His hand-eye coordination is Tour quality. His 20-degree hybrid is his ? gear-down club. He hits it straight, and still well beyond the drives of even the longest Tour pros.  LINK

Edited by Avalanche

18 hours ago, Shollacolla said:

@bones75 @billchao Long time reader of TST, but first time posting. I had to when I saw this topic. ~12 years ago when I was about 8 years old I actually asked David Duval this question. My dad is in athletics industry and I was lucky to have dinner with David, his caddy and a few other people after a small charity type tournament (this is when he was really struggling).  Funny thing is the very first thing David asked was how long their driver shafts were, then him and his caddy did some math and then David said "I don't think I could compete, but I'm sure many on the tour could... not sure if they could win the championship though." David further went on to say that he can't really swing any harder then he already does on the tour, that there's not much more he can put into to it than he does already, even if he had multiple tries. Me and my dad talked about it further (long drives were a thing for me when I was 8) and we surmised that if he tried it for a few weeks he could probably develop a "long drive contest" swing, but as already stated no one at the table actually thought for a second that a PGA player would try it.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Long Drive is almost a different swing. A lot of the guys that compete will lift their front foot in the backswing to get as much turn as possible. Some even bend the lead elbow to add another lever. There's a lot of rotation and extension in the downswing. It's geared towards power at the cost of control.

I'm sure the faster swingers on the PGA Tour are talented enough to learn it, but seeing as how that would likely alter their swing mechanics, it probably will hurt their scores on the course. I don't see anyone on tour who'd be willing to do that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

I saw Jamie Sadlowski play in a charity even in my town a couple years back.  There were several PGA players there.  Sadlowski's tee shots just sounded different--both the whoosh of the club and the impact.   Here's a pretty good article on him: 

Yeah, I also know what it's like standing behind someone who hits really far! :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 1 year later...

This just trivia. I saw this vid of koepka

In this instance, his final shot read a clubhead speed was 122.7, and he remarked "that's all I got". Long driver competition players can go up to ~150 (w. a longer shaft).

I'm not making a point here, Was just interesting trivia for me to see the numbers side by side, as I'm not knowledgeable on golf swing numbers as many of you are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course I’ve also seen long drive comps where the driver got zero shots in bounds and all the next guy had to do was hit one in bounds (I think 275) as a minimum and he couldn’t do it. In those cases the big hitters on tour would do that no problem.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• iacas changed the title to Tour Players in Long Drive Competition
10 hours ago, bones75 said:

This just trivia. I saw this vid of koepka

In this instance, his final shot read a clubhead speed was 122.7, and he remarked "that's all I got". Long driver competition players can go up to ~150 (w. a longer shaft).

I'm not making a point here, Was just interesting trivia for me to see the numbers side by side, as I'm not knowledgeable on golf swing numbers as many of you are.

“That’s all I got” - using his swing. Coiling back even more and further back would add speed. But probably took a dramatic toll on his accuracy. 

Edited by Killa

42 minutes ago, Killa said:

“That’s all I got” - using his swing. Coiling back even more and further back would add speed. But probably took a dramatic toll on his accuracy. 

Not that long drive champions need accuracy all that much.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Not that long drive champions need accuracy all that much.

Yes. My point was that Brooks could swing much faster if he took more of a baseball approach to the hit - lift his left leg and swing back more. But that’s not in the interest of his wallet. 

The guys are mostly mountains. I have seen these guys swing. It’s both impressive and horrendous.  I have to wonder how long they can punish their torsos like that.

If I’m a successful PGA player, I do not think it is worth taking chances swinging like that very much.

That said, I am pretty sure that there is an LPGA player on the women’s side though.  I do not know her name.

There are no tour players that would have a chance of winning the World Long Drive Championship against today's crop of competitors.  Not Bubba, DJ, Brooks, Tony....  They wouldn't even make the semi finals.  Doesn't matter how hard they train or how fast they could swing the competition long driver.  The guys winning are every bit as good of athletes.  Some of them come from other professional sports like baseball.

In my Bag:

Driver - SLDR 430 - 10.5 deg
3 Wood - SLDR HL
Irons - TM Tour CB's                                                                                                                                                                 Wedges - TM                                                                                                                                                                               Putter - Odyssey White Ice 2 Ball

• 2 years later...

Saw this a couple of days ago, not sure if it should have its own thread or not, but thought this was a good a place as any to post. I thought for sure there would already be a post on it, but I didn’t see one.  

GCLogo.png

Bryson DeChambeau has received some battle scars while training for the Ryder Cup and...

Any thoughts on how he’ll do? Embarrass himself or make a decent showing? 

I’d assume he’d had the least problem putting them “in the grid,” uncertain how he’ll measure up to their distances. I’d guess he feels that he would make a good showing so as to not embarrass himself…unless it’s all just another publicity stunt for the $40M bonus prize for the whole social media thing 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

12 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

unless it’s all just another publicity stunt for the $40M bonus prize for the whole social media thing 

This is a good publicity stunt, though, unlike that Koepka rivalry crap. People have been comparing LD guys to PGA Tour guys forever, now we can actually see one in a competition.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!