IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

41 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And when I say we, I'm just hoping to be included.  Now comes what must be the tough part for the captains, picking the teams.

I should have mentioned that now starts the hard part for us hopefuls, the waiting for the team selections to be announced.  Last time, the teams were announced in early July, about two months before the competition.  We've got a long time to live in suspense.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I should have mentioned that now starts the hard part for us hopefuls, the waiting for the team selections to be announced.  Last time, the teams were announced in early July, about two months before the competition.  We've got a long time to live in suspense.

Actually, @mvmac and I have an idea on that.

Each month, from February through July, on the last Monday of each month (or thereabouts), we'll each select one more team member. This means that the first two team members may know that they're going as early as February 27…

Of course, if everyone would rather wait until July or early August again, we can do that too…

So what does everyone think?

P.S. We'd likely pick lower handicap players the first few months, or at least long-time single-digit golfers, as they're "safe." It would be disappointing to pick a guy with an 8.3 index only for him to go up to an 11.1 by the time the Newport Cup was contested.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A selection each month sounds like a great idea.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

53 minutes ago, iacas said:

Each month, from February through July, on the last Monday of each month (or thereabouts), we'll each select one more team member. This means that the first two team members may know that they're going as early as February 27…

Of course, if everyone would rather wait until July or early August again, we can do that too…

I would like that method, it would be pretty fun to have the slow build-up I think. At least I would prefer it over a long wait and getting it all at once, because with one pick a month you could almost start talking strategies and pairings earlier on, plus you've got the added discussion over who the picks for the month could be.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

P.S. We'd likely pick lower handicap players the first few months, or at least long-time single-digit golfers, as they're "safe." It would be disappointing to pick a guy with an 8.3 index only for him to go up to an 11.1 by the time the Newport Cup was contested.

Well, as one the fringe hopefuls at the moment based on HCP (sitting ugly at 9.2 as of today), it won't matter to me much since if picked at all I expect to be one of the last ones in the process. But sounds like a reasonable process. Surely the long time 5 and bellows would certainly appreciate where they lie well ahead of time.

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think everyone who's under consideration would love to know as soon as possible, but the waiting can be part of the fun too.  I wonder if earlier selections would help the guys who need to fly, as far as ticket prices and selection.  For those of us within driving range, it wouldn't matter so much.

I went back to the original thread for the 2015 selection:

and remembered the fun that I had watching the selection process.  Four players per team announced the first night, then a two-week wait for the last two per team.  I guess I'm no help, either way will be interesting to watch.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

I have no issue with the selections being done on monthly intervals. I think going from the lower handicap and up is a wise choice. 

Either way, I am looking forward to setting the Newport Cup as one of my goals for 2017 :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I think everyone who's under consideration would love to know as soon as possible, but the waiting can be part of the fun too.

July 6 and 20th were the selection dates last year, and the Newport Cup was over a month earlier. Finishing by the end of July for an event in October should be okay.

Ticket prices aren't too bad. Under $500 for most flights, often non-stop or one-stop.

I just checked and a Denver to Raleigh round-trip flight cost $426. LAX to Raleigh… $395 and non-stop.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

July 6 and 20th were the selection dates last year, and the Newport Cup was over a month earlier. Finishing by the end of July for an event in October should be okay.

Ticket prices aren't too bad. Under $500 for most flights, often non-stop or one-stop.

I just checked and a Denver to Raleigh round-trip flight cost $426. LAX to Raleigh… $395 and non-stop.

I don't remember what I paid to get to Phoenix last year.....but it was worth every penny.  I'd guess that there are more flights into Charlotte, but Raleigh is a bunch closer.  

Dave

I think two years ago mine was in the $350 range, but it was through Southwest. Who tends to have cheaper rates. Mine was a one stop through Denver. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Okay, well, I think we'll have the monthly selections.

If you've got a Newport Cup Candidate badge, just make sure your "index" on your profile here on TST is up-to-date and accurate.

I think I'll be driving up there, should I be selected. Gonna pull a @Club Rat and enjoy the east coast. I love the Carolinas, so it should be fun; plus, only a five hour drive from my house. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay, well, I think we'll have the monthly selections.

If you've got a Newport Cup Candidate badge, just make sure your "index" on your profile here on TST is up-to-date and accurate.

I updated mine to 11.8 from Game Golf. It looks like I will have to start all over with GHIN. Given that I need to play with someone, it might take 2-3 months to have an official handicap again.

- Shane

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Sounds like a good plan to me. 

21 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

I think I'll be driving up there, should I be selected. Gonna pull a @Club Rat and enjoy the east coast. I love the Carolinas, so it should be fun; plus, only a five hour drive from my house. 

It's a 4.5 hour drive for me plus as a member of club Corp I can play Pinehurst No 7 for a discounted rate. As well as bring 7 guests should I be selected to play

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

3 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Sounds like a good plan to me. 

It's a 4.5 hour drive for me plus as a member of club Corp I can play Pinehurst No 7 for a discounted rate. As well as bring 7 guests should I be selected to play

I'm Club Corp as well! I didn't know Pinehurst #7 was a CC course. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator

Note that if you played in the 2015 Newport Cup, right now, I'd say that slightly hurts your chances of playing in the 2017 Newport Cup.

@mvmac may not do that, but for the Blue team, I'm leaning that way, toward getting some "new blood" involved. It's not a strong lean or bias, but it's there for me a little right now.

• Upvote 4

I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm sure I can get the handicap down to where it needs to be. I'm really hoping that I can pull it off (as well as actually get picked).

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

1 hour ago, jbishop15 said:

I'm Club Corp as well! I didn't know Pinehurst #7 was a CC course. 

Yeah here is the rate, really good for Club Corp members and their guests.

Pinehurst Resort and Spa

Member Rates: $35
No. 7 Course
Guest Rate: $86 for Course #7

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 2399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!