IGNORED

Where do you Put the Cheese on a Cheeseburger?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 hours ago, Warren Zevon said:

I have nothing to add to this conversation, but just wanted to say this thread is awesome.  And I’ve never thought of insulating the bottom of the bun with lettuce.  It’s sounds brilliant.  

Couldn’t agree more! :beer:

[and great tribute to the late, great Warren Zevon]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

If you don't char it too much. Grill marks are ok, but every "grilled" burger I've ever had has always had too much char. There is a fine line, I little bit is ok, but a lot is unappetizing.

I prefer the flat-top if cooking them out uncovered. I really like to broil mine at home... I really like the taste... It's also in the seasonings. I personally don't use recipes, I just throw stuff together, from experience I know what goes good together.

You're talking to someone who cooks 20-30 burgers a day on Monday and Tuesday and closer to 50 or 60 on the weekend days... But then again I've been doing it for 5+ years.

@iacas Have you ever tried tomato under the cheese? If you haven't you should. You gotta heat the tomato slice a little bit before you do it though, So I usually just put it on the flat-top at work for about 5-10 seconds a side.

I was at my brother in laws place a week or so ago doin guy stuff and decided to make a couple cheeseburgers...

He likes them plain just bun meat cheese.  Used 80-20.  Seasoned the meat very basic just garlic salt and pepper which is my quick and dirty standard.

Cooked em on non stick skillet like I do when I'm not grilling...He raved hard about it and I was forced to show my sister my quick and dirty technique.   Make a ball seasoning the meat all the way through working everything all through.  most poor cooks simply don't use enough of all seasonings period... a little indentation in the patties center is a good thing...

I like to sizzle and then cover then flip once and sizzle then cheese then cover...I like a nice bit of crispness on the outside and I told my sister no squeezing down with a spatula that's a no no.  I hear heat by sound and cook by the feel of firmness.

With good beef and a thick patty it's nice...I am gonna have to do a grilled vs flat pan challenge.  I don't like grill pans because cleanup is annoying plus I want the crisper brown outer bark bits not marks.

Really this quick and dirty home method for me produces way better burgers than what I get out unless it's a very special place for burgers with special toppings.

I like to goof around with condiments and stuff..I like sourdough pan toasted with butter and then adding avo.

BURGERS RULE!

32 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Cooked em on non stick skillet like I do when I'm not grilling...He raved hard about it and I was forced to show my sister my quick and dirty technique.   Make a ball seasoning the meat all the way through working everything all through.  most poor cooks simply don't use enough of all seasonings period... a little indentation in the patties center is a good thing...

I'd argue against that for multiple reasons. The more you work the meat the denser it becomes, and distributing salt throughout the meat is an easy way to double that effect. Check out #s 3 and 4: http://aht.seriouseats.com/2010/03/the-burger-labs-top-ten-tips-for-better-burgers.html

Personally, I just go for salt and pepper. I like to salt and pepper one side, toss that side down on the cooking surface, and then salt and pepper the other side while the first is cooking. Minimizes having to flip the meat on the plate and wash my hands an extra time. (Little bit tougher is you're using a grill because you want to close the lid ASAP, but it works well if you're using a cast iron skillet.)

The only time I start applying different flavors to a burger is if I'm going for a White Castle-style onion steam. Sometimes I'll add some minced garlic along with the onion. Your milage may vary. 

32 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

I like to sizzle and then cover then flip once and sizzle then cheese then cover...I like a nice bit of crispness on the outside and I told my sister no squeezing down with a spatula that's a no no.  I hear heat by sound and cook by the feel of firmness.

Depends on what you're going for. Smashburger and Shake Shack make a killing on smushing the crap out of their burgers. That's my go-to when I'm cooking indoors on a cast iron skillet. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@jamo

Hey it's a burger thread.  My bro in laws brother is a gourmet chef and my bro in law is way more a foodie than me.  He said my burgers are some of the best he's ever had.  

I guess no matter what I post,  I get trolled.  Seems I am not welcome here at times.

I don't cook by internet.  Wasn't it you who brought up cooking frozen steaks?  If not I apologize.  

Look at Gordon's eggs,  sorry I don't wanna eat egg gravy on toast.

Ugh

Its clear I am hated.  Ok.

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

@jamo

Hey it's a burger thread.  My bro in laws brother is a gourmet chef and my bro in law is way more a foodie than me.  He said my burgers are some of the best he's ever had.  

I guess no matter what I post,  I get trolled.  Seems I am not welcome here at times.

I don't cook by internet. Wasn't it you who brought up cooking frozen steaks? If not I apologize.  

Ugh

worlds-tiniest-violin.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, iacas said:

.Hmmmmm… I wonder if I could very lightly butter a bun and put it in the toaster on the bagel setting?

Dude, this is a house fire just waiting to happen.  The butter will melt and drip off, and if it doesn't cause a fire, it will probably be a mess.  For the buns to caramelize, it has to be in contact with the pan.

I don't have a good feeling about this...

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Here's a thought many of you haven't explored. How about a cheeseburger in between two grilled cheese sandwiches? 

@iacas, you might that this is crazy idea, but please, hear me out. 

Instead of using your classic buns you'd buy in the grocery store, you make two grilled cheese sandwiches with whatever type of bread and whatever type of cheese you prefer. Your burger goes in between the two grilled cheese sandwiches (which act as your bun) with your condiments and what not. If you want more cheese you can melt it on the burger. 

I believe this is the only time that the cheese doesn't have to be in contact with the burger in order to be called a "cheeseburger". It's a grilled cheese burger actually.

Edited by onthehunt526
Proofreading

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

@jamo

I don't cook by internet.  Wasn't it you who brought up cooking frozen steaks?  If not I apologize.  

Ugh

I thought I too was just talking about burgers. I don't doubt that yours are great.

I like to read a lot about cooking techniques because I enjoy the learning process and gaining a wider depth of cooking knowledge. It's fine if you don't. No trolling meant.

FWIW, I wasn't the one who brought up cooking frozen steaks (still haven't tried it, but mostly because if I'm buying a steak I'm planning on cooking it that night), and I like my eggs a bit more firm than Gordon Ramsey.

3 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

Here's a thought many of you haven't explored. How about a cheeseburger in between two grilled cheese sandwiches? 

@iacas, you might that this is crazy idea, but please, hear me out. 

Instead of using your classic buns you'd buy in the grocery store, you make two grilled cheese sandwiches with whatever type of bread and whatever type of cheese you prefer. Your burger goes in between the two grilled cheese sandwiches (which act as your bun) with your condiments and what not. If you want more cheese you can melt it on the burger. 

I believe this is the only time that the cheese doesn't have to be in contact with the burger in order to be called a "cheeseburger". It's a grilled cheese burger actually.

I can feel my arteries constricting. And yet, I must have it...

Also, now I'm curious what kind of cheese everyone uses on their burgers. I either go cheddar or American if we're talking a classic all-American burger (say what you want about American cheese, but it melts like a champ), though cheeses like swiss certainly have their place.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, jamo said:

Also, now I'm curious what kind of cheese everyone uses on their burgers

Was wondering this too. Cheddar, Havarti-Dill, Yogurt, Jalapeño, Monterey Jack, Boursin spreadable garlic cheese. I like the creamy cheeses rather than the hard. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Dude, this is a house fire just waiting to happen.  The butter will melt and drip off, and if it doesn't cause a fire, it will probably be a mess.  For the buns to caramelize, it has to be in contact with the pan.

I don't have a good feeling about this...

Worked perfectly fine last night. You didn’t keep reading. :-) I melted the butter and brushed it into the buns. It can’t drip because it absorbs into the bun.

Heat caramelizes, not contact with a pan.

1 hour ago, jamo said:

Also, now I'm curious what kind of cheese everyone uses on their burgers. I either go cheddar or American if we're talking a classic all-American burger (say what you want about American cheese, but it melts like a champ), though cheeses like swiss certainly have their place.

Colby jack most times here.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yep

You can brown a bun under a broiler. It isn't in contact with any metal.

10 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Wasn't it you who brought up cooking frozen steaks?

That was me. I was posting on a video I saw.

10 hours ago, jamo said:

The more you work the meat the denser it becomes, and distributing salt throughout the meat is an easy way to double that effect.

This is true. Most times when I see professional chefs making hamburgers they are working the meat as little as possible. One of the best looking burgers I've seen is by Gordon Ramsey. He uses ring molds to lightly pack the meat into form. There is no deformation (ex. middle bulges up) of the burger at all when he cooks it.

2 hours ago, jamo said:

I like a cheese that has a good stronger flavor to it. If I go cheddar it has to be a very sharp strong flavored one. I like also using goat cheese or blue cheese. Smoked Gouda is a good choice, but it can be overpowering.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Worked perfectly fine last night. You didn’t keep reading. :-) I melted the butter and brushed it into the buns. It can’t drip because it absorbs into the bun.

Colby jack most times here.

You don't need a lot of butter on the bun to brown it either. If you melt the butter and use a pastry brush, you don't really need much. 

I personally prefer Pepper Jack on my burgers, but it depends on what kind of burger I'm making, and what other condiments I'm using. If I add sauteed mushrooms, or sauteed onions usually swiss. Onion Tanglers and honey barbecue sauce, cheddar. Pepperoni and marinara? Sliced Mozzarella. Burger wraps? Shredded Cheddar Jack. It really depends on the other condiments and such I have to work with.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I have cooked hamburgers/cheeseburgers using whatever items I had on hand, using pan, broiler, grill or whatever means I had available. Also, I've ordered burgers at Five Guys, McDonald's, and dozens of other places.

That said, I've never met a burger that I didn't eat, and enjoy while eating, regardless of how it was prepared. I guess that makes me a "food ****," so I salute you gourmets! :beer:

• Administrator
5 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

You don't need a lot of butter on the bun to brown it either. If you melt the butter and use a pastry brush, you don't really need much.

Yep. That's what I did. Not much butter, melted, and absorbed by the bread pretty readily.

46 minutes ago, amishboy51 said:

That said, I've never met a burger that I didn't eat, and enjoy while eating, regardless of how it was prepared. I guess that makes me a "food ****," so I salute you gourmets! :beer:

I've not enjoyed two burgers* in my life:

• A kid on the golf team put about fifteen gallons of A1 steak sauce in his "special hamburger." It just tasted like A1. Sorry, I like the taste of slightly charred, medium-rare beef with a little salt and pepper. Not A1. Ugh. (P.S. If you have to put A1 on your steak, you're eating a shitty steak, or you don't really enjoy steak.)
  • A White Castle "burger" that was just way, way, WAY too onion-y.

* Of those that were properly cooked, that is. I've had a few burgers that were NOT cooked properly: burnt to a dry crisp, massively undercooked, cool to the touch, and oozing red juices, etc.

Sriracha or ketchup? Or both?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I'm giving a shout-out to pretzel buns.  Whoever came up with this idea should get a promotion.  Sounds weird, but it's the nuts.

Image result for brat burger

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

1 hour ago, 1badbadger said:

I'm giving a shout-out to pretzel buns.  Whoever came up with this idea should get a promotion.  Sounds weird, but it's the nuts.

Image result for brat burger

There's a place near me that's known for their awesome homemade pretzels (and I've had almost everything on the menu, so I can attest they're terrific). They also make pretzel sandwiches by basically taking a regular pretzel and smushing it, slicing it in half, and using it as a bun. They make the best BLT I've ever had.

They've completely ruined me for the pretzel buns you can get in supermarkets (which are very tasty, but so far behind a real good homemade pretzel smushed into a sandwich).

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Sriracha or ketchup? Or both?

Ketchup and yellow mustard for me.

In my bag:

17 minutes ago, jamo said:

yellow mustard

You had to go there!!

Mustard causes scurvy!  I don't eat mustard and I don't have scurvy.   See my logic?  :whistle:   

I don't like anything that has vinegar as an ingredient.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 2365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!