IGNORED

Feel Ain't Real

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

Maybe I'm missing the point of this thread, and I apologize if I have, but at the range I can work on different 'techniques'  and get a 'feel' but on the course I really can't start thinking about my swing, I go by feel more than anything else. I can think on the backswing, e.g., brush it back, left arm straight, left shoulder under chin, head stationary, etc., but once I've completed the backswing if I think about anything on the downswing and follow through I'm sunk. I especially can't think about 'firing the hips first', that really screws me up. I've had by buddy film me at the range and I think I look pretty much as I feel. 

My very uneducated opinion is that there's a range of variance between those who's feels are closer to what's really going on and those who are very poor at it. I think what the OP might be saying is that on average, many of us are not as close as we think. 

For those of us who aren't great at it, it's important to be aware of how far apart the two can be. Especially when so many YouTube instructional videos use the same feel advice for anyone watching.

That said, a good instructor might use feel as a tool, but only because they know the student. For example, if I'm leaning towards the target at the top and it feels neutral, my instructor might tell me to feel like I'm leaning away from it. 

In your case, an instructor might only have to say "you're leaning too much towards the target at the top" and you'd be able to easily correct it because your feel is closer to what's really going on.

Again, just an uneducated opinion.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

The basic point, @cooke119, is that feel ain't real, and you're better off to verify what you're doing. Sometimes the same feel produces very different mechanics in people, sometimes the same feel produces different mechanics in the same person depending on where they are or their understanding of the swing at the moment.

Verify, don't trust a "feel."

For example, right now it feels like I fold my elbow to 90° immediately during the backswing, before I even get to A3, then swing down with my elbow by my belly button and my right palm facing 90° away from the target.

In reality, my elbow folds a tiny bit sooner/faster, my elbow is an inch more forward than usual (and a foot from my belly button), and the clubface is about 5° more open to the target line than before.

My feels are "right" for me, but they're not "real".

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Not sure how beneficial this is for higher handicap golfers.

I try to find a consistent feel that produces a consistent flight before I begin a round. Sometimes a certain feel might produce a draw one day will produce a straighter or maybe a slight fade another day. 

This is the same with swing changes. Sometimes one feel might work really well for one practice session. Another day, the swing feel might need to be more exaggerated. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• iacas unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...

check out at 3:13... Tiger agreed feel ain’t real 😉

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

So at first I see this and think the pic in the left is what BH thinks he’s doing and the right is what he’s actually doing.

But it also looks to me that the left pic could be the next position if you played out the right pic. Right elbow drops down and a bit forward, left shoulder around and up?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If I am remembering correctly, @Vinsk, the photo on the left is a pose.  Notice the lack of any flex in the shaft.  The photo on the right is dynamic.

I could be (and this is just conjecture) that Hogan was demonstrating the practical effects of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle.  We can determine the position of the elbow or the velocity of the elbow...but not both simultaneously.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

DD711A7E-B1D5-4E56-91D2-36FBBCAB2BC6.thumb.jpeg.fc31e5c6bad7e235b32e9069775d6146.jpegI see what you’re saying @Piz. It just appears to my non-professional eye that it could be position 5.5 from the sequence above. I assumed if this was a post showing ‘feel’ vs ‘real’ some may have this thought and not understand the point. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

@Vinsk have you gone completely mad? The left is what he felt the right is what he did. Look at his freaking shoulders man?!?!!!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

@Vinsk have you gone completely mad? The left is what he felt the right is what he did. Look at his freaking shoulders man?!?!!!

Lol. I am. It just looks like two different positions with the left one being further down the sequence than the right. If Right Pic BH rotates his hips and brings his trail elbow towards his belly button it looks like he would achieve Left Pic BH...that’s all I’m saying.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Lol. I am. It just looks like two different positions with the left one being further down the sequence than the right. If Right Pic BH rotates his hips and brings his trail elbow towards his belly button it looks like he would achieve Left Pic BH...that’s all I’m saying.

Yeah, no.

He's showing the feel of "just opening up" or whatever in the left image, with the feeling that the arms just hang back and get whipped through, or something, and on the right is what he actually does.

You can't get to one of those positions from the other or vice versa. Not at golf swing speeds.

Left is feel, right is real.

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

If Right Pic BH rotates his hips and brings his trail elbow towards his belly button it looks like he would achieve Left Pic BH...that’s all I’m saying.

Left pic Hogan the lead shoulder is way too high. If it was a real swing, he'd have to hit the ball off a tee... a baseball tee :-P

As @iacas mentioned, left pic is Hogan describing his swing feel, very different from his real swing on the right.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

24 minutes ago, iacas said:

You can't get to one of those positions from the other or vice versa. Not at golf swing speeds.

This. Ok...everything’s fine...nothing to see here...😆

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, iacas said:

He's showing the feel of "just opening up" or whatever in the left image, with the feeling that the arms just hang back and get whipped through, or something, and on the right is what he actually does.

Left is feel, right is real.

Exactly.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!