Jump to content
bones75

Titleist AVX (New Ball)

58 posts / 13457 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, coach_rambo said:

The big difference is lower spin off the middle irons (which will give you a few extra yards) and a lower trajectory off the driver and fairway woods. Not sure if those 2 things make it worth while changing from a ProV1, since te price point is the same. If you’re going to drop $48 bucks a dozen, you might as well get the “#1 ball in golf”. Just my 2¢. 

Feedback from others imply that the ball is ProV1 quality but softer. Read, pay the prov price and be okay with it.

22 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I don't really know why they released a third ball in the same price range. Maybe they did some market research and saw enough of a demand for this type of ball, but it's just weird to me. Just another ball I won't buy due to the price and my propensity for losing them on the course.

I assume that the rich retired "slower swing speed/softer ball" guys had a niche that they could get another $11 out of. Works with the new AP3s I guess.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like it. I started a previous thread on this I think.

I like the feel, and I think I get a smidge more distance through the bag. I would say greenside is equal to ProV1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I picked up some AVXs recently.  really just because I want to play a yellow ball.  I liked it.  Typically I play Taylormade TP5 and TP5x.   I see/feel no difference at all around the greens.  I see the most difference with the Driver.  

one thing I did note, is that it appeared to have less spin on the driver.   Typically I push my driver a bit out to the right side of the fairway and it draws back to the middle (on a good swing).   I had 3 drives on Saturday that pushed out to the right and looked like they were going to turn back in, but then just held a straight line and ended up on the far right side of the fairway, or short rough.  I can't say for certain it was the ball.   I could, of course, have just left the clubface a bit more open than usual.   But, they felt like pretty good swings.   I'll be playing this ball again this weekend, so we'll see if it's a trend.   

i can't really speak to it's stopping power.   couldn't hit a green from distance to save my life.  so I guess that category is TBD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, lastings said:

I picked up some AVXs recently.  really just because I want to play a yellow ball.  I liked it.  Typically I play Taylormade TP5 and TP5x.   I see/feel no difference at all around the greens.  I see the most difference with the Driver.  

one thing I did note, is that it appeared to have less spin on the driver.   Typically I push my driver a bit out to the right side of the fairway and it draws back to the middle (on a good swing).   I had 3 drives on Saturday that pushed out to the right and looked like they were going to turn back in, but then just held a straight line and ended up on the far right side of the fairway, or short rough.  I can't say for certain it was the ball.   I could, of course, have just left the clubface a bit more open than usual.   But, they felt like pretty good swings.   I'll be playing this ball again this weekend, so we'll see if it's a trend.   

i can't really speak to it's stopping power.   couldn't hit a green from distance to save my life.  so I guess that category is TBD. 

After going to a weekend with Titleist reps and playing 2 rounds after a ball fitting, their take on the AVX, and the 2 players out of 7 players who were fit to AVX is that it is a ball for high spin, high speed players - they told both guys to try the ProV1 and AVX on the course over the weekend. I played with a 20 something guy with a 115 driver ss, and at first, he did not know if he could deal with the lack of spin around the greens, but he enjoyed the gain in driver distance and his irons - he thought his irons were going too far with AVX - but after 2 days, and now 4.5 months later, he is still playing AVX. He learned how to deal with the spin on the greens.

The rest of us mere mortals were fit into ProV1x  - we need the spin off the irons, and it was great around the greens - give me fresh wedges and a ProV1x - and put on the brakes. But other urethane balls do the same - like Snell MTB

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played two rounds with the AVX this weekend.   This ball is noticeably different from the ProV1 or TaylorMade TP5s I've been playing.   it is definitely created for players with high swing speeds.  

The ball flight is much lower and penetrating, with is a bonus, but comes with a cost on mishits.  I was losing 20-30 on drives if I didn't get it up quick.  but, anything struck well flew just as far, or maybe farther.   

This ball is great for a great ball striker, but a bit too costly for a player like myself.   I'll definitely keep them in the bag for windy days, though..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is the best ball ever made. I've been going back and forth between the AVX and several other balls (velocity, volvik, pinnacle rush, pv1, pvx, tp5x, pd long) and a few others for a couple months now. The AVX is just amazing. It checks up on the green, and is 10-15 yards longer with the driver, and a full club longer with all my irons. The feel when struck is nice too. Now I know why they charge a premium for this ball. I don't know why I don't hear to much talk about this ball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

This is the best ball ever made. I've been going back and forth between the AVX and several other balls (velocity, volvik, pinnacle rush, pv1, pvx, tp5x, pd long) and a few others for a couple months now. The AVX is just amazing. It checks up on the green, and is 10-15 yards longer with the driver, and a full club longer with all my irons. The feel when struck is nice too. Now I know why they charge a premium for this ball. I don't know why I don't hear to much talk about this ball. 

I doubt it. Your striking more likely had something to do with it. That said, you didn't say what ball you were comparing it to or what data you measured or how you measured it. The prov1x, for me, is the best ball out there. I haven’t tried the snell mtbx yet but I’ve heard it edged the x.

See mygolfspy’s ball test. 

Edited by ncates00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Huh? I listed 7 balls I compared it to. How I measured it? Data? Did you even read the op?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, TRUCKER said:

This is the best ball ever made. I've been going back and forth between the AVX and several other balls (velocity, volvik, pinnacle rush, pv1, pvx, tp5x, pd long) and a few others for a couple months now. The AVX is just amazing. It checks up on the green, and is 10-15 yards longer with the driver, and a full club longer with all my irons. The feel when struck is nice too. Now I know why they charge a premium for this ball. I don't know why I don't hear to much talk about this ball. 

The Pinnacle, most of the Volviks, and the Velocity aren't even in the same class of ball.

And for me, the Snell MTB-Black out-performs the AVX by a noticeable amount.

Find the ball that suits you… it may be the best for you but you should stop shy of calling it "the best ball ever made." Especially when you only really compare it to three balls (PV1, PV1X, TP5X) that are in the same class…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/13/2018 at 10:33 AM, NM Golf said:

I played a round in high winds yesterday and I am officially sold on the AVX. I hit several drives straight into the wind (25 mph sustained) and saw a penetrating ball flight I don't always get with the ProV1X. It was just a scramble tournament so I hit a couple extra shots with the ProV1x and it was very evident to me the difference. The biggest difference came on our last hole. The wind was absolutely humming straight into our face on this 150 yard par 3. It was a 3 club wind I hit 7 iron with the AVX hole high. It was beautiful. I took a ProV1X out and hit the same shot and it ballooned and landed 25 feet short of the hole. 

I am a high spin player and the more I read and the more I play with the AVX I like it. We ended up winning the tournament and I picked up a couple dozen with my gift certificate.

Are you still using the AVX? If so, have you compared it to the new version? Also, have you ever used the Bridgestone E12 Speed? I found one, and the dimples look similar to the AVX, (shallow), and the feel, and flight were similar.

Edited by TRUCKER
Add question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/25/2020 at 7:43 AM, TRUCKER said:

Are you still using the AVX? If so, have you compared it to the new version? Also, have you ever used the Bridgestone E12 Speed? I found one, and the dimples look similar to the AVX, (shallow), and the feel, and flight were similar.

 

🤷‍♂️...NMGOLF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have since switched back to playing the ProV1 most of the time. I keep a couple sleeves of the AVX for windy days because they perform well in those conditions. I have played the newer model. Like most newer models of golf balls, I cannot discern any difference in the two.  

I have not played any Bridgestone ball in years, so no I've never played the E12, but its a surlyn cover and the AVX is a urethan elastomer cover. Because of that, I would have a hard time believing the E12 would perform as well as the AVX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I have since switched back to playing the ProV1 most of the time. I keep a couple sleeves of the AVX for windy days because they perform well in those conditions. I have played the newer model. Like most newer models of golf balls, I cannot discern any difference in the two.  

I have not played any Bridgestone ball in years, so no I've never played the E12, but its a surlyn cover and the AVX is a urethan elastomer cover. Because of that, I would have a hard time believing the E12 would perform as well as the AVX.

🤝

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I’ve just tried these new AVX balls and have to say, very impressed. I was very confused why they would cost the same price as the ProV1 and ProV1x. The consistency and distance is impressive and does not seem to give up feel or spin as I had thought the AVX was probably just a gimmick. I was wrong. Anyone else have any experience with these? Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...