IGNORED

How Important Is a Straight Left Arm?

Note: This thread is 2323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

26 minutes ago, Lime Shark said:

1) Because so many amateurs have problems keeping the arm even relatively straight.

2) It's a "canary in the coal  mine." Why can't most people not keep their arm straight? Because there is something else wrong with their swing preventing them from keeping the arm straight.

3) 90% of successful golfers have kept the arm relatively straight. Most amateurs want to emulate what most other successful golfers have done.

I agree that a straight lead arm is a nice thing to have, and I've worked to try to achieve this. I don't think it's the recipe for success, though. I played at a 7.6 handicap with a bent arm and terrible other stuff, but played every single day to work around that limitation. I'm currently playing to a 10 (the 16 in my profile is a long story :-P) with a straight arm.

So, while the swing looks nicer with a straight arm, it's probably not essential.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I agree that a straight lead arm is a nice thing to have, and I've worked to try to achieve this. I don't think it's the recipe for success, though. I played at a 7.6 handicap with a bent arm and terrible other stuff, but played every single day to work around that limitation. I'm currently playing to a 10 (the 16 in my profile is a long story :-P) with a straight arm.

So, while the swing looks nicer with a straight arm, it's probably not essential.

I do not disagree with what anyone has said.  I brought the subject up in my OP as just something to be aware of.  In my being aware of keeping a somewhat straight lead arm, it helped me in the turn to achieve it. It would be difficult for me to keep a straight arm and NOT turn, one leads to the other.  Granted, having a better turn, leads to the left arm being straight but not necessarily versa visa if there is something else wrong. So many perceptions are fleeting. All I can say is "for now", it is helping.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

36 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I disagree.

99% of professional golfers throughout history have maintained a relatively straight arm through the entire swing process.

The other 1% are exceptions to the rule, and were able to be successful despite bending their arm because they were also exceptional athletes.

Few amateur golfers are exceptional enough athletes that they  can ignore one of the basic fundamentals of the golf swing and still be successful. Keeping the lead arm relatively straight IS on the FUNDAMENTALS of the golf swing.

Google "pro golfer top of backswing" and look at the images. By my count, it is at least a 25 to 1 ratio of straight to bent arms at the top of the backswing.

Edited by Lime Shark

7 minutes ago, Lime Shark said:

I disagree.

99% of professional golfers throughout history have maintained a relatively straight arm through the entire swing process.

The other 1% are exceptions to the rule, and were able to be successful despite bending their arm because they were also exceptional athletes.

Few amateur golfers are exceptional enough athletes that they  can ignore one of the basic fundamentals of the golf swing and still be successful. Keeping the lead arm relatively straight IS on the FUNDAMENTALS of the golf swing.

Google "pro golfer top of backswing" and look at the images. By my count, it is at least a 25 to 1 ratio of straight to bent arms at the top of the backswing.

Relative  is a key word here.  As you already surmized, Straight not Stiff. And I have found that I do n eed to focus on this, Hopefully it will become second nature.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

2 hours ago, Lime Shark said:

1) Because so many amateurs have problems keeping the arm even relatively straight.

2) It's a "canary in the coal  mine." Why can't most people not keep their arm straight? Because there is something else wrong with their swing preventing them from keeping the arm straight.

3) 90% of successful golfers have kept the arm relatively straight. Most amateurs want to emulate what most other successful golfers have done.

I understand all of that. But it would be better if we tried to emulate other things about successful golfers besides what their arms look like at the top of their golf swings. Most of us aren't even flexible enough to get into the positions some of those guys on tour do.

8 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I understand all of that. But it would be better if we tried to emulate other things about successful golfers besides what their arms look like at the top of their golf swings. Most of us aren't even flexible enough to get into the positions some of those guys on tour do.

Most of us aren't ________ enough to do most of what the guys on tour do. Which is why it is important we pay attention to the fundamentals.

Keeping the arm relatively straight throughout the swing is a fundamental.

Most amateurs are much better off shortening their backswing in order to keep their arm straight, than they are having a bigger backswing with a bent arm.

Edited by Lime Shark

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Most of us aren't even flexible enough to get into the positions some of those guys on tour do.

I don't agree with that. Almost everyone I teach is flexible enough to achieve an 85-105° torso turn. It's the golfers who sway or don't use their hips to help them turn that often bend their left elbow.

In fact, I rarely discuss a bent lead arm. Golfers will sag the wrists or bend the lead arm to get the club back "far enough." Increase their turn and, almost always, the bent lead arm reduces. The club is back farther from the improved pivot.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't agree with that. Almost everyone I teach is flexible enough to achieve an 85-105° torso turn. It's the golfers who sway or don't use their hips to help them turn that often bend their left elbow.

In fact, I rarely discuss a bent lead arm. Golfers will sag the wrists or bend the lead arm to get the club back "far enough." Increase their turn and, almost always, the bent lead arm reduces. The club is back farther from the improved pivot.

I actually think we'e on the same page as far as the arm goes.

You seem to be saying that when a golfer corrects some of their swing flaws (such as a poor pivot) the arm straightens naturally.

I said a non-straight arm is a sign of other problems with their swing (such as overswinging).

22 hours ago, Lime Shark said:

I disagree.

Straight gives you a little bit more leverage, but it’s mainly to get more consistent. If you can maintain consistency with a bent arm, it won’t be a substantial advantage.

That said, I’m still working on a straight arm, and am generally straight lead armed.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Interestingly, hickory times champions were not even close to have straight left arm. Most probably due to their dress code.

Mac O'Grady Acolyte, or "Macolyte"

saw the video and thought it was kind of a waste

my takeaway is the amateur (excellent player) has a swing thought that's likely 'overkilled' vs the pro whose numbers seemed to just reflect a more confident approach - no kidding

and, it's a sample size of 1 vs a sample size of 1......what can we even do with that?

Bill - 

On 12/5/2017 at 8:01 AM, Hacker James said:

I do not disagree with what anyone has said.  I brought the subject up in my OP as just something to be aware of.  In my being aware of keeping a somewhat straight lead arm, it helped me in the turn to achieve it. It would be difficult for me to keep a straight arm and NOT turn, one leads to the other.  Granted, having a better turn, leads to the left arm being straight but not necessarily versa visa if there is something else wrong. So many perceptions are fleeting. All I can say is "for now", it is helping.

If it helps you do other things more consistently, then it's important for you. To be honest, all of the better local players I know have straight lead arms. . . @Lime Shark

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 12/4/2017 at 10:35 AM, Lime Shark said:

BTW, the reason most people cannot keep their arm straight is they are swinging their arms around their body.

The arms remain in front of the chest during the backswing. It is an optical illusion that the arms swing around the body.

It's not an optical illusion, the arms do not remain in front of the chest.  Rather they are bending thier left shoulder seemingly as far as they can.  Just worked my way down the top 4 world ranked players.

dustin-johnson-top-dtl.jpg

Jon Rahm.jpg

jordan-spieth-better-golf-move-2.jpg

Swing-Sequence-Justin-Thomas-Downline-4.jpg

Edited by No Mulligans

(edited)

and in each of those, the arms are pretty much in front of the chest. The chest is turned towards the  back. Not centered in front mind you, but more in front than the arms past the chest.  A way to demonstrate this, is to hold the club in front of you as if you were going to bonk yourself on the forehead, then without moving your arms turn into the top of the backswing, turn your head to look at the club,  then again without moving your arms, turn back as facing in the same direction as you were at address. and note the club is still in front of you (more or less).

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

It's not an optical illusion, the arms do not remain in front of the chest.  Rather they are bending thier left shoulder seemingly as far as they can.  Just worked my way down the top 4 world ranked players.

So…

16 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

and in each of those, the arms are pretty much in front of the chest. The chest is turned towards the  back. Not centered in front mind you, but more in front than the arms past the chest.

Yup.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A couple of times this thread has fallen into the trap of debating absolutes.

The arm doesn't have to be ramrod straight, but it should be essentially straight. The line in this linked image is bent 10 degrees, but for golf purposes I would call that essentially straight (any more than that I would not).

Do the arms remain 100% in front of the chest? No, they can drift a few inches to the side, but they do remain essentially in front of the chest. 

angle_170_32648_lg.gif

1 hour ago, Lime Shark said:

A couple of times this thread has fallen into the trap of debating absolutes.

The arm doesn't have to be ramrod straight, but it should be essentially straight. The line in this linked image is bent 10 degrees, but for golf purposes I would call that essentially straight (any more than that I would not).

Do the arms remain 100% in front of the chest? No, they can drift a few inches to the side, but they do remain essentially in front of the chest. 

angle_170_32648_lg.gif

I find that seems to happen with golf swing discussions. People tend to oversimplify things, so when they think "straight" they think 180°, when there is a range of perfectly acceptable movement.

Same with the arms in front of the chest thing. Do the hands remain in the same position relative to the sternum at address? No. But they should be more "in front" than "to the side" of the chest.

Having a simple image like "keep your hands in front of your chest" can help people learn and understand a concept, but people take it too literally and end up missing the point.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!