IGNORED

Golf Channel Pronounced Muni (Lily) He's Last Name Incorrectly

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

With the ubiquity of translation tools, get your pronunciation right, broadcaster. I dunno if USC golfer here doesn't mind the mispronunciation, I don't doubt people pronounce it hee all the time and she's like, whatever, but 沐妮何, her surname sounds like this. The link will expire soon so this.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Heck of a player.  Hope she makes it to the big stage.

There are a LOT of annoying name pronounciations (and mis-pronounciations) on the GC....gotta live with it.

Bill - 

• Administrator

Steven, I appreciate the annoyance… but they don't have her Chinese character name, and are just going by "Lily He," and it's asking a bit for them to do a bit more than that.

But hey, they've said my name correctly every time they've said it, so… ;-) I'm biased here.

Yes, it'd be nice if they pronounced her name properly. As she gets onto the LPGA Tour, they'll have a pronunciation guide for her name.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas changed the title to Golf Channel Pronounced Muni (Lily) He's Last Name Incorrectly

More so than name pronunciations, I’ve never understood why we choose to alter the order in which we say people’s names, most easily noticed with Koreans.

We swap the order in which we say the names to more match our own customs (Park Chan Ho for example is know here as Chan Ho Park) ... but they’re names; so why don’t we say them exactly as they say them?

11 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

More so than name pronunciations, I’ve never understood why we choose to alter the order in which we say people’s names, most easily noticed with Koreans.

We swap the order in which we say the names to more match our own customs (Park Chan Ho for example is know here as Chan Ho Park) ... but they’re names; so why don’t we say them exactly as they say them?

That bothers the hell out of me, but I'm biased.

I don't care so much if people mispronounce a name. I'm not going to pretend that I can pronounce every name I read on a piece of paper correctly, either.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

21 hours ago, billchao said:

That bothers the hell out of me, but I'm biased.

I don't care so much if people mispronounce a name. I'm not going to pretend that I can pronounce every name I read on a piece of paper correctly, either.

Agree. It is a sign of respect to pronounce names correctly. Now there are more difficult names like many Thai names and Eastern Europeans. It is understandable that some can struggle with those. But it is an announcers job to get it right. Her name should be easy.

Even my last name can be pronounced two ways, Curry. I pronounce the C-u as in cut not ker.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Agree. It is a sign of respect to pronounce names correctly. Now there are more difficult names like many Thai names and Eastern Europeans. It is understandable that some can struggle with those. But it is an announcers job to get it right. Her name should be easy.

Even my last name can be pronounced two ways, Curry. I pronounce the C-u as in cut not ker.

The problem is the 26 letters of the English alphabet do a poor job of showing how something should be pronounced. There's pretty much nothing we can do about that. Plus, sometimes names are spelled phonetically and sometimes they aren't, but you don't need me to tell you that since you're from the Boston area ;-)

Chinese names can get particularly weird because of dialects. There is one (technically, two) written language but many dialects and people's names in English are written phonetically (and there are multiple systems for that as well), so you can get two people with the same surname in Chinese have different names in English because one's name is derived from Mandarin and the other's from Cantonese. My name is weird because it's written using the Wade-Giles system which is stupid IMO.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You remind me of the "debate" I have with my (NY born) wife about how Mary, Merry and Marry are all different sounding words.  (Out here they are not ;))

51 minutes ago, billchao said:

... and people's names in English are written phonetically ...

Right, and this is where I understand the problems when you're translating across alphabets.  A good example of this one is Gaddafi, Khaddafi, Quaddafi, and how none of them are really right or wrong.  They're all attempting to translate the guys name to our alphabet phonetically.

What I don't get are things like "Moscow."  In the Cyrillic alphabet it looks like Mockba and if I recall correctly it is pronounced Moskva (Mo as in most, not mock) ... so either way you look at it, there's no "cow" portion.  So where does that come from?  Country names too - why Germany and not Deutschland?

Edited by Golfingdad

With brand being so important you would think agents and the like would spend the time to make sure the announcers have a pronunciation guide. The NCAA should do the same, for many of these players this will be their only time in the lime light, at least get the names right.

Note: This thread is 2324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!