• Replies 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for 2018! Please read as the rules have changed! Yes, for all of 2018! I'm changing it up. Rather than do this monthly, we're going to hav

3/31/18: Day 365: The post you've all been waiting for.  I did some more work with my A4 to A5 drills. I know it seems like it's monotonous and stupid... But yesterday after I posted I

Day 67.  Played in a club tournament.  Shot an 83 (no birdies, nine pars).  Three double bogeys:  a GIR + 4 putts, plus two three-putts after missing greens (one from sand, one from a short sided pitc

Posted Images

DAY 127: Worked on my priority piece drill with 6 iron and driver. Also played with the same feel with longer chips.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 47 - Got my latest Evolvr feedback, working on getting that right leg fully extended in my backswing. This should help my fully turn my hips.

Day 431:

Started with some COVID-19 day-5 drills. Did some full swing 7-iron for warmup, working on a better backswing and recentering chest/flow. The did superspeed workout, and hit some balls with driver/Mevo to measure speed.

Day 1.  So much for the previous attempt ;-) 

Today, I took an afternoon break to go putt.  The first course I drove to, the closer one to me, had only one available hole on its practice green, and that was cut into a steep hill.  Why do practice designers do this?  Break is important, shelves are important, but a hole there... I couldn't place a ball where it would stop within two feet of the hole.  

So I went to another course, one with its entire practice green at an angle, but putt I could.  After some warm up, it took me 25 putts to finish a 4' around the world.  Well, that's what rust gets me -- right back to where I was before I paused. 

This evening, after work, I spent 30 minutes hitting (about as many) balls indoors, off a mat, into a net.  Many were hit well.  Maybe my upcoming rounds will resemble my ones at the end of last year.  Now if only I could get back to 2019 form 🙂 

Day 2 - working on grip consistency by picking up a wedge in my office through out the day.  Checking my left hand is holding the face square and folding the right hand over it.

Day 45 (Feb 19 2021) - more inside work today as the weather is 100% rain.  Worked on the takeaway (good arm position) to the top of backswing as I tend to want to collapse everything (bent left arm, less than 90deg elbow in right).  If you don't set the stage right, it won't happen.   

• Administrator

Day 418 - February 19, 2021

Good 50-ball session today (plus some pitching practice as I'm teaching that to my juniors this weekend). Focused on turning into my right hip and up alongside the same elbow/hinge "out and up" stuff. Hit about half of the balls, maybe 30, with a 9I today. The shorter length was a nice change of pace, as it's a little "easier" to do some of the things, including having a relatively shorter golf swing.

Day 48 - More of the same, slow backswings (fully extending my trail leg), weight shift, finish.

Day 432:

Did some Covid-19 backswing drills (forget if it was day 2 or 3) and then some day-5 drills. Then full swing 7-iron working on flow/recentering.

Day 433:

Played 18 today. Added COVID-19, day-3, “left arm and reach” drill into my rehearsals pre-shot to help keep my right arm straight and left arm from getting pinned to my chest during backswing.

Edited by Darkfrog

Day 46 (Feb 20 2021) - Shot work in the yard - most of the shots taken were with the 8i and 54* focusing on chips....very easy to know when you’re fat as very soggy ground shows no mercy. Challenging to say the least. 

Day Six! 

1. Backswing work A1 to A2 feeling the weight shift to my right foot 
2. Make backswing with left wrist facing away from me. Feels facing down at the ground from A1 to A2.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
    • Day 153.  Before grocery shopping, I stopped at a putting green and worked for half an hour on 3' and 30' putts.  The end of the 3' practice included taking 17 shots to finish all 12 for my clock drill (not great, but not as bad as a month ago) and the 30' finished with my final six putts from 30' (due to this green, they weren't significantly different on the clockface, so I'm still getting a similar read, but I know better than to assume it.  And of course, I had to hit them the right speed) with a total of 11 strokes (five 2-putts and I also sank one). After lunch and before gym, I did the quarantine days 9 (again, with feedback from yesterday) + 10 (which took a while to get right... I'm not even sure I got it right, video to show up later today). Addendum:  I haven't figured out my trigger for the day 10 practice plan.  That's going to take me a bit more thought
    • MD: 89 (Black/Orange combo tees): 89. Up and down sandy on 17th was nice. One of my better sand shots of the week.  SV: 98 (Black tees).. Tough day. Bit too much of a course for me from black tees. Drive on 18 uphill was a bright spot that stood out though.  SV: 89 (Orange tees).. phew.. much better. 2nd shot on 16 uphill from 198 out over bunker with a borrowed 3 iron (thanks @DeadMan.. :-)) that dropped and stopped within a two feet for a kick-in might be the shot of the week for me.  LL: 92, 92 back-to-back on the same day. Tried my darndest hard to break 90 but couldn't twice. Best shot 8 iron on 7th par 3 from 155 for a bird.  Lac La Bell: 107. Forgettable day score-wise except for holes 15-16 where I finally hit couple of good drives.  
    • Pretty amazing for a $500 box. Close enough for me.  
    • I played roller coaster golf. This is going to be a lengthy recap. I’m not expecting people to read through the whole thing; it’s more for my own entertainment purposes to go back over some of these holes. Day 1 (Sandbox and Mammoth Dunes) I made par on #16 at SB by hitting a PW as hard as I could to the front of the green and then putting from there to 8’ from the back hole location. The hole was 170 from the tee and the longest club I had was PW. It sounds a lot easier in writing than it was. I didn’t play that well at MD. Probably hit a few good drives, but I don’t remember doing anything remarkable. Day 2 (SB and Sand Valley) Made birdie on #7 at SB. Teed off with putter, hit it to 3’. Hit an 8i on #16 at SB to 8’. It’s a Redan and I hit a fade. @DaveP043 showed us how it’s supposed to be played by hitting a draw to the front of the green and letting the ball roll up to the hole about 6’ away. Didn’t play well at SV on the first round, but I hit some good drives and made a few pars, including on #18 where I hit driver-3w into the sand area to the right of the green, hit a 30 yard blind sand shot just off the green and made par from there. Day 3 (SB and SV) Birdied #7 again at SB. Again teed off with putter but not great, holed a 20’ putt for birdie. Quit golf on the 3rd hole at SV, so naturally, I birdied #4. Hit a good drive and 2h just left of the green, had a ridiculous putt from the top of a hill that hit a sprinkler head and trickled to tap in distance. Hit 4i-2h on #6, GIR and 4-putted. Dave measured my first putt - I was 40 yards from the hole. Hit a perfect drive over the sand pyramid on #7 (I was on top of it the day before), followed by an easy 2h I wanted to run up to the green, which I pulled slightly but it bounced off a hill and rolled onto the green anyway. Had a 30’ putt for eagle, 3-putted for par. Birdied #12. Like @saevel25, I also went driver-7i and put it on the green. Made par on #14 which I described in the Best Shot of the Week thread. That 6i was probably in the top 5 most pure shots I have ever hit. It started on the line I wanted, turned exactly how I pictured it, and flew exactly the right distance. Missed the 6’ putt for birdie which I really wanted to make with the other group watching on the tee. I hit a good drive on #18 and tried to hit a 2h into the fairway short of the green. Ended up flaring it way right into the Sahara. Matt later asked if I hit a good shot because it looked like I was posing, and I told him I was so gassed I just didn’t want to move after the shot 😂 Day 4 (Lawsonia Links x 2) Got my best score of the trip here with an 87 in our first round. I hit some good shots, but nothing really spectacular. Just made fewer mistakes overall. Made birdie on #9 after hitting my drive into the fescue. Hit a 7i back into the fairway and a low spinner to 3’, which was still outside Dave’s blind third shot from the fairway bunker which he put to 2’. Day 5 (Lac La Belle) Made a really good decision to grab breakfast at Fresh Baked Cafe in Oconomowoc. The beers were cold at the end of the round. I seriously played like crap.
    • Probably not possible. Calling someone on a rules violation is going to disrupt "serenity" within the group but sometimes that is the cost you have to pay for doing the right thing.  I'm sure I've looked the other way on minor rules infractions that had no material impact on the outcome because the cost wasn't worth the benefit. I can't think of any offhand, but to borrow an example from your first post, if someone rotated their ball on the green without marking it, I would probably be more likely to pull them aside on the next hole and tell them they need to mark it next time vs. call a penalty on them.  But like with many things in life - you can't have your cake and eat it to. If you decide that something needs to be called out for a penalty, you have to accept the likely possibility of temporary discord in the group. Don't be a jerk about it - be polite, but direct - and you give yourself the best chance of a positive outcome.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. andreanewman
      andreanewman
      (29 years old)
    2. Erg
      Erg
      (54 years old)
    3. Hacker James
      Hacker James
      (79 years old)
    4. irishmike27
      irishmike27
      (42 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...