IGNORED

Tee It Forward

Ron
Note: This thread is 2265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Happy New Year everyone.  Today, being the day when everybody makes those New Year's Resolutions that they never keep, I'd like run this by some "Golfers" before I decide what to do.  I'm 76 now and for my entire life, Baseball, Tennis, and Golf have been my sports.  I'm athletic and I was good in my three chosen sports.  (I played college baseball and had a Men's 50's USTA Ranking)  Certainly not Professional good, but above average for an amateur.  It has always been my good fortune to have excellent coordination, tempo, and form in the sports that I played.  Because of that, at my age now, I look like a much better golfer than I am!  I'm a good ball striker but the "Pretty Swing" does not produce the yardage now that it did back in the day.  I'm thinking that it is time to....."Tee it Forward."  I recently relocated to Texas and my home course has 4 sets of Tees. The Tips are black, and then, Blue, White, and Red.  I have been playing the Blues.  The situation is:  If I play the Blues, I might hit 3 or 4 GIR.  If I play the Whites, I'll hit considerably more because my Tee shot is usually within 5 yards or so from the Black and White Striped 150 Yard Marker Pole.  I'm extremely accurate and seldom miss left or right.  But when playing from the Blues, I'm short on the approach more than I care to admit.  It is without question, "Yardage" that I have lost!  Does that sound like its time to Tee It Forward?  I'm old, but once I get to the 150 Yard Pole,  I can compete with anybody!  What do you think?  Stay on the Blues another year or move up to the Whites?:whistle:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

What's your enjoyment level playing from the blues? If you are having fun and shooting scores you're content with playing blue tees I say keep at it. But if you're frustrated that you can't score better, mostly based on the most holes being 'too long', then move up to the whites. I assume you play golf to have fun, so do what you need to in order to maximize your enjoyment, don't worry what others might think.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm in my late 60s. I play with golfers my own age, some young, and some older. Just about every older golfer I know has lost their young man's distance. There are exceptions of course, however we all play for the enjoyment that golf offers us.  The exyended friendships are a good thing too. This even though we are playing "lay up" golf. 

Most of us play from the whites, most of the time. However, sometimes we will play from the blues. 

So in the OP's case, I say play from where you want, based on what you want from your game that day. If you are out for fun, then play the back tees. If you are there to see what you got left in the tank, looking for your lowest posible score, then move to the forward tees. 

BTW Ron, congrats on still playing at 76 years of age. My long term goal is to still be playing in 9 years. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

45 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

What's your enjoyment level playing from the blues? If you are having fun and shooting scores you're content with playing blue tees I say keep at it. But if you're frustrated that you can't score better, mostly based on the most holes being 'too long', then move up to the whites. I assume you play golf to have fun, so do what you need to in order to maximize your enjoyment, don't worry what others might think.

Well, Golf is my passion.  If I'm on a golf course, I'm enjoying myself.  I think that it has contributed to my health both physically as well as mentally.  I don't have a care in the world when I'm playing golf!  Thanks for the post.

18 minutes ago, Patch said:

I'm in my late 60s. I play with golfers my own age, some young, and some older. Just about every older golfer I know has lost their young man's distance. There are exceptions of course, however we all play for the enjoyment that golf offers us.  The exyended friendships are a good thing too. This even though we are playing "lay up" golf. 

Most of us play from the whites, most of the time. However, sometimes we will play from the blues. 

So in the OP's case, I say play from where you want, based on what you want from your game that day. If you are out for fun, then play the back tees. If you are there to see what you got left in the tank, looking for your lowest posible score, then move to the forward tees. 

BTW Ron, congrats on still playing at 76 years of age. My long term goal is to still be playing in 9 years. 

Thanks Patch.  I think it's the luck of the draw and possibly your Genes.  I played a round with one of the club Pros just before Christmas and he asked to see my Driver 's license because he didn't believe that I was 76.  (LOL)  The thing is, I still think I can do better on the Blue Tees.  Of course, we always say that after a round.  "OK, Now I know what I was doing wrong.  A simple, basic fundamental.  Unbelievable!"  And then we get right back out there ASAP, and some other part of the game lets us down!  (LOL)  BUT.....That's why we love this game so much!  If it was easy, we'd get bored with it!  

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

One group of guys I play with always thought you had to get your $$ worth when playing golf.   They either played from the tips or the blue tees which were the second longest.    When I suggested the white tees which generally are around 6000 yards, they enjoyed the game much more.   Age didn't come into play.  It's a whole lot more fun to hit a 7 iron into the green than a 3 iron.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

10 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

One group of guys I play with always thought you had to get your $$ worth when playing golf.   They either played from the tips or the blue tees which were the second longest.    When I suggested the white tees which generally are around 6000 yards, they enjoyed the game much more.   Age didn't come into play.  It's a whole lot more fun to hit a 7 iron into the green than a 3 iron.   

DJ:  This is very true.  I realized while experimenting with different Tee Boxes that:  The Tee shot is really the only one you're getting any yardage help with.  After you're around the 150 Yard marker, you're back in the mix with everybody else.  Nobody really pays any attention to where your Drive originated from.  Everybody is just concentrating on their approach.  Everybody is back on a level playing field to include women who use the Red Tee Box.  How many times have I looked up and said, "Wow, she is right here with me for her approach."  It is the way golf is designed to be played with handicaps to provide a more competitive round with everybody having a chance to win.  

Ball-Pro V1

I'm 64, not a long hitter , and started hitting from the white tees (which are recommended for my handicap) this year. 

Managed a few more GIR's. Enjoyed making a few easier pars. Generally lowered my score.

Isn't that what different tee boxes are for?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uitar9 said:

I'm 64, not a long hitter , and started hitting from the white tees (which are recommended for my handicap) this year. 

Managed a few more GIR's. Enjoyed making a few easier pars. Generally lowered my score.

Isn't that what different tee boxes are for?

You are correct.  That is exactly what they are for.

Ball-Pro V1

Agree with everything above. I moved to the whites last year because Jack Nicklaus said that I would score better and have more fun. He was right! Recently, I've played with two gentlemen who played from the white markers with everyone else. One was 85, and shot his age that day. The other was 91, and he walked the course, around 6100 yards. He was the definition of conserving energy. Good players and good guys.

1 hour ago, AlDena said:

Agree with everything above. I moved to the whites last year because Jack Nicklaus said that I would score better and have more fun. He was right! Recently, I've played with two gentlemen who played from the white markers with everyone else. One was 85, and shot his age that day. The other was 91, and he walked the course, around 6100 yards. He was the definition of conserving energy. Good players and good guys.

I've played a lot of golf.  Some of the best players I have played with have been in their 70's and 80's and were single digit in their youth.  First of all, they have been playing a long time and truly know how to play and work around a course.  Second, they play within themselves and from the correct Tee Box and usually have a "Killer Short Game."  Third,they have no interest in trying to impress you.  They just want to enjoy a round of golf with you and have fun.  If you ever get a chance to play with a couple of guys like this, you will really have an enjoyable round.  They don't do the things that universally annoy other players.  Two classic examples of that would be:  (1.)  Playing 18 holes from the Tips, and never getting within 75 yards of a GIR on an approach.    (2.)  Waiting for the group in front to clear 280 yards before hitting, and then shanking their ball 30 yards into a Duck Pond.  A great deal of what we're talking about here really has to do with being in the right regular foursome.  For many amateur players, that is one of the toughest things to acquire.  Having just relocated to Texas, I am going through that now.  TOUGH!! :cry:

Ball-Pro V1

Texas courses in DFW are a lot like the courses in my area.

If you have trouble getting a lot of greens because you’re short of them, just move up by the amount you are typically short times 18. This game is supposed to be fun, and if you find yourself “going for it”every tee shot you’re playing way too far back.

I don’t ever plan to play the tips even though my “distance is there” because my game isn’t. I’d rather be able to drive greens and hit wedges into most holes while enjoying myself rather than having to think too much about what to do every hole. My golf partners generally move forward where I play anyway, even if they are really good.

Fast play times and being relaxed on the course is my goal. If your goal is to challenge yourself and push your limits every hole, that’s fine too.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

29 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Texas courses in DFW are a lot like the courses in my area.

If you have trouble getting a lot of greens because you’re short of them, just move up by the amount you are typically short times 18. This game is supposed to be fun, and if you find yourself “going for it”every tee shot you’re playing way too far back.

I don’t ever plan to play the tips even though my “distance is there” because my game isn’t. I’d rather be able to drive greens and hit wedges into most holes while enjoying myself rather than having to think too much about what to do every hole. My golf partners generally move forward where I play anyway, even if they are really good.

Fast play times and being relaxed on the course is my goal. If your goal is to challenge yourself and push your limits every hole, that’s fine too.

Good post.  Thanks.

Ball-Pro V1

@Ron something for thought... why not play multiple sets of tees?

Myself, I generally play the tees that match my distance (and depending on the course, my ability).  But on occasion, I’ll play something longer and/or more difficult to really test myself... or something shorter and/or less difficult depending on the group/situation.

I look at it this way. If I’m hitting more than a 7i into most of the par fours, with a decent/average drive I need to move up. The tees you play will be accounted for in your index calculations. The tees I choose to play depend on the course/layout.

Edited by chilepepper

I'm glad I posted this topic because, with all the different replies, I can see that I really have to think this through a bit more.

Having been a single digit player in my younger years with good yardage for all clubs, I guess I'm in a little bit of a "Catch 22 here.  I still on occasion hit shots with any given club that a Tour Pro would be happy with.  What that does I guess is it puts you into a "Living in denial situation."  Thinking......"I've STILL got it!"Truth is..."No, you don't.  You just happened to catch that one on the screws!"  (I'm showing my age here with that jargon)  In my last round on 12/22/17, on the 16th fairway, I hit a 3 wood 230 yards.  My normal yardage with a 3 wood is around 190 yards.  It was from a regular fairway lie, not really a tight lie, but pretty normal.  Accordingly, you could NOT say it was a "Flyer" because there was no long grass to slide between the ball and the face.  I stood and looked at that shot for a good minute.  I couldn't believe how well I hit that shot. I was 3 feet from the pin.  

I'll admit that when I play from the Whites, and stick a bunch of Drives right at the 150 Yard pole, it feels good.  But then I always say to myself, C'Mon, you're playing from the Whites!  Gonna have to kick this around some more.  Perhaps it is "Ego" after all!  One thing that you can absolutely take to the bank is:  I am 76 now.  I will ONLY get older!  :-P Hah, Ha !!

Ball-Pro V1

29 minutes ago, Ron said:

I'm glad I posted this topic because, with all the different replies, I can see that I really have to think this through a bit more.

Having been a single digit player in my younger years with good yardage for all clubs, I guess I'm in a little bit of a "Catch 22 here.  I still on occasion hit shots with any given club that a Tour Pro would be happy with.  What that does I guess is it puts you into a "Living in denial situation."  Thinking......"I've STILL got it!"Truth is..."No, you don't.  You just happened to catch that one on the screws!"  (I'm showing my age here with that jargon)  In my last round on 12/22/17, on the 16th fairway, I hit a 3 wood 230 yards.  My normal yardage with a 3 wood is around 190 yards.  It was from a regular fairway lie, not really a tight lie, but pretty normal.  Accordingly, you could NOT say it was a "Flyer" because there was no long grass to slide between the ball and the face.  I stood and looked at that shot for a good minute.  I couldn't believe how well I hit that shot. I was 3 feet from the pin.  

I'll admit that when I play from the Whites, and stick a bunch of Drives right at the 150 Yard pole, it feels good.  But then I always say to myself, C'Mon, you're playing from the Whites!  Gonna have to kick this around some more.  Perhaps it is "Ego" after all!  One thing that you can absolutely take to the bank is:  I am 76 now.  I will ONLY get older!  :-P Hah, Ha !!

That’s king of a tough thing to deal with, and I’m sure to be there someday as well.

Agree that it’s nice to hit this bunch of drives to 150, but this same drives would be about 120 from closer tees. For me, that’s a nice and easy 50 degree to PW. 

A bunch of “Tee it forward” folks at my clubs feel like the normal program is still too far back for the average player. I’m even of the mind that most people should play up 1000 yards, while better bogey players can move to 6000 and single digits up to 6500 yards. Doing so will improve pace of play and the average score.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If teeing it forward brings fairway traps, and other hazards, in play; a better score can be had by playing it back.  I'd rather have a go, from 200 out, than a repair shot from 160.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

What I'm looking for here is:  Does it make you feel like you're a lesser player when you make the decision to move up and Tee it Forward?    I'll use as an example the most common scenario that I see which I know all serious golfers see as well.  Guys hitting from the Tips who have "NO BUSINESS" hitting from the Tips!!  If you NEVER hit a GIR when playing from the Tips......Who are you kidding?  It's like the 200 Yard Drive.  This is what the average amateur player hits. Why?  Not because he can't physically hit the ball further than 200 yards, but because his technique is not good enough to hit it further.  He is NEVER going to hit it further than 200 yards so.......MOVE UP and have fun!

Ball-Pro V1

Note: This thread is 2265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!