IGNORED

2018 Winter Olympics Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2247 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I am not sure how much more difficult it is to succeed on a quad versus a triple. 

I could see them rewarding how well they almost landed the quad. 

A tiny stumble is one thing. Putting your hand down on the ice? Booo.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I am not sure how much more difficult it is to succeed on a quad versus a triple. 

As I understand it, it's significantly harder.

27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I could see them rewarding how well they almost landed the quad. 

That's how it currently works.

This is what I'm talking about, BTW:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/why-adam-rippon-scored-worse-than-skaters-who-fell-at-the-winter-olympics

Like I said, I understand it. I just don't like it.

• Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

Tonya was the second woman ever to land one… (ever, not at the Olympics). How many are there now?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah...I don’t agree with the Russian girl scoring THAT much higher than Nagasu. I also thought Rippon should’ve been first place after his awesome performance. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Tonya was the second woman ever to land one… (ever, not at the Olympics). How many are there now?

Seven, apparently. Nagasu is the 3rd to do it in the Olympics.

8 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah...I don’t agree with the Russian girl scoring THAT much higher than Nagasu.

That I disagree with. Alina Zagitova had more difficult combinations and did all her jumps with her arms over her head, not to mentioned executed them all close to flawlessly. All Nagasu had on her was the triple axel, which she did at the very beginning of her program when her legs were fresh (not trying to take anything away from the accomplishment, but there's a reason they award bonus points for jumps in the second half of programs).

Johnny Weir even described Zagitova's program as "running a marathon followed by 50 sprints" because she had all her jumps in the second half of her program.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I think  it's 8. Don't quote me on that. In that neighborhood. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

9 hours ago, billchao said:

Was watching the men's freeskate in the team event. Patrick Chan took 1st despite touching the ice on three separate occasions.

The way the current system is set up, it encourages people to attempt jumps that they may not complete successfully, but they earn more points from failing a more difficult jump than they would from successfully completing a technically easier one.

I get that they want to advance the sport and it encourages skaters to push the limits of what's possible, but at the same time, it's weird to watch someone skate a clean program lose to someone who fell.

I think they need to make deductions steeper. Maybe have a fall add a deduction for the component score as well because it affects the flow, look, and artistry of the program. Right now if a guy attempts a quad and falls on the landing, he scores more than a guy who hits a perfect triple. But I'm of the opinion that a jump shouldn't be considered completed unless it's landed, but that's not how they score.

Gold medals have been lost many times for this reason. I agree that a clean program needs more value. Otherwise they would just butt-scrape their way to winning by trying all hard jumps.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Peggy Fleming was asked once how she didn't get dizzy doing spins. She said she did get dizzy, she just didn't fall down!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

My vocabulary expansion for the day: "Needed more curl on that one."

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Do most wear mouth guards for the half pipe?

Steve

On 2/12/2018 at 11:00 PM, nevets88 said:

After watching the Japanese guy fall, I'd sure wear a mouth guard!  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 2/12/2018 at 8:00 PM, nevets88 said:

I noticed a few wearing them and a few not ... one of the “nots” was a girl that fell and faceplanted and blood was coming out of her mouth, so I suspect she might start wearing one.

TIL Slovokia defeated Bulgaria 82 - 0 in qualifying. That must have been one busy goaltender. At least give them one goal, don't bagel them.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/slovakia-routs-bulgaria-82-0-in-womens-hockey-olympic-qualifying

Steve

54 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

TIL Slovokia defeated Bulgaria 82 - 0 in qualifying. That must have been one busy goaltender. At least give them one goal, don't bagel them.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/slovakia-routs-bulgaria-82-0-in-womens-hockey-olympic-qualifying

:offtopic:

Bill

My Swing Thread

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/winter-olympics/the-very-bad-american-skier-who-used-a-loophole-to-sneak-into-the-olympics/ar-BBJlFri

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this, but I'm leaning towards positively. I mean yea, she did make a mockery out of the whole thing, but she also legitimately qualified.

I need to see if there's some obscure sport I can be just good enough to qualify for that Taiwan will let me represent them at ;-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

On the flip side, there's Erin Jackson. NBC showed her barely walking on ice in late 2016 and boom, she's in the Winter Olympics 2018. Also the table where she went from 42 seconds to sub 40 in months whereas it takes years for some. That puts a hole in the 10,000 hours hypothesis, doesn't it. True, she was an inline skater, but anytime you go from nothing to world class in less than 2 years is something.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/2018/02/19/erin-jackson-could-next-face-u-s-speedskating/349243002/

Steve

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

On the flip side, there's Erin Jackson. NBC showed her barely walking on ice in late 2016 and boom, she's in the Winter Olympics 2018. Also the table where she went from 42 seconds to sub 40 in months whereas it takes years for some. That puts a hole in the 10,000 hours hypothesis, doesn't it. True, she was an inline skater, but anytime you go from nothing to world class in less than 2 years is something.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/2018/02/19/erin-jackson-could-next-face-u-s-speedskating/349243002/

She didn't go from nothing to world class; she was already a world class inline speed skater. 

Inline skating and speed skating on ice is very similar because of the blade design on speed skates, to the point that many athletes without unlimited access to rinks in warmer seasons train by inline skating.

She still has some work to do to get fully acclimated to ice and she can get better, but that just shows how talented a skater she already is.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2247 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!