IGNORED

PGA Moving to Frisco, TX

iacas
Note: This thread is 1951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-pga-of-america-moving-to-texas-hopes-to-bring-pga-championship-ryder-cup-to-frisco

The PGA of America plans to move its headquarters from Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., to Frisco, Texas, according to a Golf.com report. An announcement is supposed to come within weeks, according to the report.

The proposed site, located outside of Dallas, would also be the home to two 18-hole semi-public courses and a nine-hole short course. The 18s are to be designed by Gil Hanse and Beau Welling, with the Hanse course anticipated to host events like the PGA Championship and Ryder Cup. That championship venue is set to be opened by 2020.

When reached for comment, the PGA of America told Golf Digest, "Last year we issued a request for proposal to a number of markets that are potentially well suited and interested in developing a new headquarter campus for us. The due diligence phase is ongoing and no decisions have been made.”

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2018/03/07/pga-america-relocating-texas-new-site-host-pga-championships-ryder-cups?

No, it's not really "Tour Talk" but it's the closest we've got.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We are a sports mecca here in Frisco lol.  Though the article kinda lied about being close to DFW airport, unless they think a 30 min. drive is close IJS.

With the Byron Nelson tournament moving to it's new digs this year, if the PGA of America moves to Frisco that's a lot of action for this area.  Some nice courses being designed by some well respected architects. 

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Texas is well overdue to host a major, and a Ryder Cup in Texas would be epic.

• Like 1

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

The problem has largely been scheduling. June and August are probably hot months in Texas. May will be better, and September or October are probably okay.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

The problem has largely been scheduling. June and August are probably hot months in Texas. May will be better, and September or October are probably okay.

I’ve said it before but I’ve never understood why the RC (at least in recent years) has had such a bias to the northern tip of the country. Most all of our players live in south Florida and don’t like playing in sub 75 degree weather yet we make them play in Minnesota in October...in weather the euros are much more used to. I would be all for a RC in Texas.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iacas said:

June through August are definitely hot months. 100F or higher are very strong probabilities especially in July and August. May should be good. September would be good too depending on where in Texas...hurricane season. 

4 minutes ago, HJJ003 said:

June through August are definitely hot months. 100F or higher are very strong probabilities especially in July and August. May should be good. September would be good too depending on where in Texas...hurricane season. 

North Texas has had 95 to 100* plus temps from about mid-June to mid-September for a long time. The hottest months have increased in intensity. But for those not from here, 95 with a breeze is pretty pleasant when the humidity is low. Also, I thought PGA said the decision had not been made? Maybe I missed a final word? -Thanks, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Just now, MarvChamp said:

North Texas has had 95 to 100* plus temps from about mid-June to mid-September for a long time. The hottest months have increased in intensity. But for those not from here, 95 with a breeze is pretty pleasant when the humidity is low. Also, I thought PGA said the decision had not been made? Maybe I missed a final word? -Thanks, -Marv

Yup for sure. In the Houston area the humidity is rarely low so everything feels like 10 degrees warmer. The official announcement is supposed to come within a few weeks, but multiple reputable sources saying it’s a done deal. 

7 hours ago, skydog said:

I’ve said it before but I’ve never understood why the RC (at least in recent years) has had such a bias to the northern tip of the country. Most all of our players live in south Florida and don’t like playing in sub 75 degree weather yet we make them play in Minnesota in October...in weather the euros are much more used to. I would be all for a RC in Texas.

I don't remember exactly what year it was, but roughly 15 years ago Colonial C.C. in Ft. Worth was aggressively trying to get the PGA of America to choose them for a Ryder Cup.  They spent in the neighborhood of $250k to put together a presentation for the boys on the RC Committee which included some heavy weight Tour players from the area as well as other influential members of the community like Marty Leonard (whos father built Colonial C.C. and was instrumental in bringing the 1991 Women's U.S. Open to Colonial) and politicians like the Governor and the Mayor.  Because Colonial hosts a Tour event every year, they are knowledgeable about the all the details involved with running a big-time tournament, plus everything is already in place.  Things like parking, shuttle buses, where to build grandstands and corporate hospitality tents, merchandise and concession areas, volunteers...none of that would have to be figured out.  Plus, there is one of the biggest airports nearby so there is no issue with fans, media, players or anyone else getting here, and there are tons of hotels to support the number of people an event like this would draw.  The folks at Colonial felt good about their chances.

When it came time to make the announcement, the PGA of America awarded it to another venue, then at the same time named the next 5 or 6 after that, none of which were Colonial.  If I remember correctly, it naming that many future venues that far in advance wasn't how they usually did it at the time, and the committee at Colonial who put together the presentation felt like it was done on purpose to lock Colonial out...at least for the next 10-12 years.  Was there some personal reason by one or more of the decision-makers to intentionally prevent Colonial from hosting a Cup?  I don't know.  But there were some hard feelings over it.

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

11 hours ago, ElWagonne said:

We are a sports mecca here in Frisco lol.  Though the article kinda lied about being close to DFW airport, unless they think a 30 min. drive is close IJS.

In Texas, that's close!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 hours ago, ElWagonne said:

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

In Texas, that's close!

That's true.  I took my daughter to the airport yesterday morning at 4:30 a.m. and it took me almost an hour.  About 20 min of that was spent in a traffic jam.  Who gets in a traffic jam at 4:30 a.m.?

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• iacas changed the title to PGA Moving to Frisco, TX
  • Administrator

For a second there I was confused, didn't they just build a new HQ in Sawgrass, no, that's the PGA Tour, not PGA of America.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 5:43 PM, ElWagonne said:

Though the article kinda lied about being close to DFW airport, unless they think a 30 min. drive is close IJS.

30 mins? From midnight - 6am maybe...lol

On 3/8/2018 at 6:25 PM, 1badbadger said:

With the Byron Nelson tournament moving to it's new digs this year, if the PGA of America moves to Frisco that's a lot of action for this area.  Some nice courses being designed by some well respected architects. 

DFW is really a great place for golf and getting better every year.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:45 PM, MrGolfguy67 said:

A Ryder Cup in North Texas would be amazing!

On 3/8/2018 at 8:26 PM, iacas said:

June, July, and August are not fun...even for us natives who are 'adjusted' to the heat. Team Euro would melt here. 🙂

This is very surprising to me, didn't think it would actually happen...seriously some great news for the area.

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

Note: This thread is 1951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!