IGNORED

Would You Change the Golf Channel?

GrandStranded
Note: This thread is 2219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I could NEVER get through an episode of the Golf Fix without falling asleep numerous times.  My wife would come in and say, " how can u fall asleep with this guy yelling in your face?".  I'd say to myself..." Because I've been married for 28 years...."

Shows like that though we're always a topic when our group went out to play during the week.  Something I looked forward to.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I pretty much never watch it unless I have to for tournament coverage. I used to watch Big Break and the occasional studio show, but there's so much else on nowadays that I don't bother.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Did it ever do an architecture show? Sort of like the 18 hole flyovers on YouTube but with on the ground coverage, narration and hitting shots. I would watch that for Pine Valley, Pine Needles, Cabot, Dormie, etc... 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

I agree 100% with what you said about the NCAA Championships. I've always felt they are missing the boat with their lack of amateur golf coverage. I would love it if they showed live college matches during the early to mid week, similar to how college basketball and football are televised on other networks. I'd imagine the schools would be all for it and be willing to adjust their scheduling to get the coverage. Golf Channel would get a ton of live programing, and we'd get to see a lot more live golf. Maybe even look into airing more high end local sectional events like the Met PGA, and various state Opens.

Virtually nobody would watch that, and it's expensive to produce live golf coverage. They'd be better off burning millions of dollars in a furnace to heat Golf Channel headquarters.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Virtually nobody would watch that, and it's expensive to produce live golf coverage. They'd be better off burning millions of dollars in a furnace to heat Golf Channel headquarters.

and now we know why I'm not a programming director... :whistle:

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

I wish they would cut their Tiger Woods commentary in half. On Morning Drive, Golf Central, and tournament coverage, it sounds as though they get paid each time they mention his name. Any week that he's playing, Golf Central talks about how and where he finished before they talk about who is leading or who won the event. When he's not playing, they still try to find a way to work his name into the conversation.

Many times the on-set banter consists of one announcer asking another, "what impressed you the most about the way Tiger played today?" The day before each tournament starts, they ask other players "what does it mean to have Tiger in the field?" If it goes on for too long I usually grab the remote and start looking for a Seinfeld re-run. Yada, yada, yada. 

Back when he was winning consistently, no one paired with Tiger could simply post a score and be responsible for it. If he played poorly Golf Channel said it was because he was intimidated by Tiger. If he played well the commentators said it was because he was inspired by watching Tiger. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, RandyBobbitt said:

I wish they would cut their Tiger Woods commentary in half. On Morning Drive, Golf Central, and tournament coverage, it sounds as though they get paid each time they mention his name. Any week that he's playing, Golf Central talks about how and where he finished before they talk about who is leading or who won the event. When he's not playing, they still try to find a way to work his name into the conversation.

I feel like a lot of people would be a lot happier if they simply accepted the fact that Tiger is the needle. He doesn't move it, he IS it.

The networks likely know how to butter their bread.

Even as a fan I can agree it's a little annoying… but there are a lot more casual fans who want to hear about Tiger than there are hard-core golf fans who already know what there is to know about Tiger and want to hear about Rickie's 74 or whatever.

15 minutes ago, RandyBobbitt said:

Many times the on-set banter consists of one announcer asking another, "what impressed you the most about the way Tiger played today?" The day before each tournament starts, they ask other players "what does it mean to have Tiger in the field?" If it goes on for too long I usually grab the remote and start looking for a Seinfeld re-run. Yada, yada, yada. 

Back when he was winning consistently, no one paired with Tiger could simply post a score and be responsible for it. If he played poorly Golf Channel said it was because he was intimidated by Tiger. If he played well the commentators said it was because he was inspired by watching Tiger. 

#TheNeedle

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I don't watch a ton, but when I do it's for tournament coverage.  I generally like the way they do that.  I agree with the above it's annoying when commentators sound disappointed, that was "okaaay", when a 160 yard PW ends up at 18 feet.  But that's true of all golf announcing, not just GC.  I used to watch big break.  Also agree they should bring back playing with the pros.  I liked that back in the day.

And I'm with @iacas.  Tiger is the needle.  And, honestly, I've been pumped about it over the last month.  Totally looking forward to the Masters, hoping Tiger's in the mix on Sunday.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I only watch tournaments, and the very occasional Golf Central to catch up on what I have missed. I don't watch Morning Drive and I have no use what-so-ever for the instructional stuff. Really like the European Tour coverage in the early mornings on weekends, as I get up several hours before everyone else in my household. I get my coffee and park my butt on the couch for basically my only peaceful part of the day.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

I watch it all so I wouldn't change much, get rid of the movies would be one thing, I don't need to see Tin Cup again, just rerun some old tournament, actually I would like to see more old events shown, US Opens and Masters especially.

Bring back Holly of course, that girl is getting old somewhere unseen, it's a crime.

20 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

I can't imagine Holly or the Golf Channel being happy with her not being there anymore. Seems like it's been a lose, lose situation for both parties. I know it's been one for me...:cry:

Holly was the best part for a long time. Recently though she has had way too much plastic surgery. She isn't near as good looking as she once was. She looks like all these divorces bar fly's you see around town in Scottsdale/LA/Vegas these days with 6 plus digits of plastic surgery/injections.

Trollin' is the life

1 minute ago, MuniGrit said:

Holly was the best part for a long time. Recently though she has had way too much plastic surgery. She isn't near as good looking as she once was. She looks like all these divorces bar fly's you see around town in Scottsdale/LA/Vegas these days with 6 plus digits of plastic surgery/injections.

Dude if she's what they look like on bar stools out there, I'm west bound and down!

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

I hate when you are watching golf on GolfChannel and they cut the feed 30 mins before network jumps on so that they can talk about the golf with Brandel or whoever instead of actually showing the golf.

Edited by Hoganwoods

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

I only watch the live coverage of the PGA tour and once in a while the LPGA tour. I do NOT watch the senior tour, ever. That's it. I don't watch any of their other programming, but I used to watch Big Break.

Colin P.

(edited)

I just saw a commercial for the Senior Tour. The guy from Fresh Prince of Belair  is talking about this is where you can watch "The Legends OF Golf".  He's standing next to the bags of Loren Roberts and Stephen Ames. I'm still laughing... 

Edited by GrandStranded

Holly's seen better days.  Looks like she been " ridden hard and put back wet".  I'm not a Martin Hall fan really with his "right is rubbish" and other crap anecdotes, but Blair is where it's at.  Most of the time I mute it and just watch.

Tiger is the needle right now so naturally they will take advantage of it.  Personally, I like the coverage because he is what's going to jump start the sport and it's exciting to see.  I'm lucky enough to see both Tiger and Jack in my lifetime.

Big Break was good in the beginning, but like other reality tv shows like " The Voice"...the longer it's on, the more commercialized it gets and goes downhill.

Shows like " Shells Wonderful World of Golf" are fun to watch and would be great to rejuvenate even for 9 hole  matches with current golfers...even seniors.

Another idea for shows would be DIY shows ....I know I mentioned club making shows but how about adding ones about setting up  backyard driving range/cage.  Short game area, Making your own artificial putting green.  How about  a season of turning your backyard into a practice area with what I mentioned and adding in landscaping to tie it all in together with brooks, bridges etc...

Just some innovative ideas instead of re-runs.

I'm surprised how many are mentioning they only watch the golf. I also expected a lot of discussion about the cast(past and present) and/or the content of what I'd think are the two flagship programs, Morning Drive and Golf Central. I think we all can agree with the guy who said, enough with the Tin Cup reruns! 

Note: This thread is 2219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!